• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Scope for Very Senior Citizen Who Is A Dairy Farm Pester?

I have had scopes from a bunch of various makers. The Aargos worked initially But the defining lines is the scope were just too thin and feint in my old eyes, and it made it useless if there was anything except a clear background behind the target. I have bullpups and really don't want a full sized rifle. 

I am now using a full size Hawke and it seems to be the easiest to see through, But it makes the bullpup pretty wieldy. Its too big on the bullpups. I am also using the Bug Buster and like the length but it too is sometimes hard to get a clear picture of where the cross hairs align. The Pard 8 is the brightest and is small, but I don't see it as a solution because depending on the back ground it is necessary to go into the menu settings and change the type and color of the reticle.

I have an appointment with my optician in a week and maybe the solution is there. Special refraction for using a scope?? I need a scope that is not a giant in length, the bug buster is great in that regard, and that has a seriously defined reticle. I see the Swarovski and the Leopold abit above my desired price range. Any suggestions from others who have the same problem and have it solved I would appreciate tapping some of your knowledge and experience.

Jim81 I have the bug buster and it's problem is eye relief as one must have their head in the correct box to see anything. Also have a 3-9x32 Hawke on a bipod Marauder which is the correct size scope - gun for me. I've had great luck with the Osprey line of scopes with their amazing 4-7 inch eye relief with good glass and fair price. On the Bay their about $170 - $250 but I got a great deal on one check out their Osprey Compact 3-9x42IRF 30mm Scope or their TA 1-4x24 I use this on a Leshiy great. 👀

Im a septuagenarian so I understand your problems.

The scope I use is a Nikko Sterling Diamond 1-4x24 30mm on Sportsmatch LOP39C one piece mount

It has a Red or Green illuminated centre dot, or a black dot when turned off. Turrets - per click = 1/8" at 25yards.

Most of my shots are at rats and under 30yds, the scope is so good I have even shot clean kills in moonlight.

The rifle is an LGU.

Previously on a deer rifle I used a single post reticule and turned the scope upside down so the post didn't obscure the target when holding over.

I have messed with the diopeter on all my scopes. I think I know when I get it as clear as possible. I too am exploring the ACOG stuff. Find the clones 1X4cheap enough to try and then spend over 1K for a Trijicon if that works. You are absolutely right. Most pests are easy to see with 4X. A lot of times I'll turn the variable power down to 4X. Rarely go over 6X. I had the Dedal and sold it. Found out I didn't like that it was 6X and that's it. I did not find the remarkable clarity others speak of. Sold it!

Lots of thing to try above and thanks. Eye doc is on Tuesday of next week. Think I'll take a scope, without rifle attached, to show him what my issue is. Really it might be bad eyes and old age.

I have messed with the diopeter on all my scopes. I think I know when I get it as clear as possible. I too am exploring the ACOG stuff. Find the clones 1X4cheap enough to try and then spend over 1K for a Trijicon if that works. You are absolutely right. Most pests are easy to see with 4X. A lot of times I'll turn the variable power down to 4X. Rarely go over 6X. I had the Dedal and sold it. Found out I didn't like that it was 6X and that's it. I did not find the remarkable clarity others speak of. Sold it!

Lots of thing to try above and thanks. Eye doc is on Tuesday of next week. Think I'll take a scope, without rifle attached, to show him what my issue is. Really it might be bad eyes and old age.

It's not a high power scope but I suggest trying the Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR FFP scope. YOU CAN SEE THE RETICLE IN THIS SCOPE, the reticle is designed to locate quickly and be seen on low magnification!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it's a super nice scope for the money with nearly all the features a modern scope can have.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/ffp-athlon-helos-g2-2-12x42-is-in-hand/

I'm 65 and not having vision problems but I am overdue to get my eyes checked. I used a bug buster on my Prod at first but it would shift POI while hanging on the wall. So I switched to a Hawke Vantage 2-7. It's pretty small, not very expensive, has a mil dot recticle for hold over and the lines in the recticle are easy for me to see. Easier than in the one in my Primary Arms 4-14. It is FFP and I am not sure I like that. It makes the low powers almost unusable. But from about 6 or 8X up to 14X I can use it well too. I leave the 2-7 at 7X almost all the time so I guess it doesn't really matter that much that the Primary Arms is hard to use at 4X. 7X works well for me to at least 35 yards. Easy to see a squirrels head.

Appreciate the information. Since my post I have seen my eye doc. and it looks like I am in for a pretty significant change. I also took a scope in with me to illustrate my issue. He was familiar with scopes and thought the correction he made will help with my reticle issue.

Here's another duh!! Maybe others haven't thought about. People said check the diopter. I did when I mounted the scope. Well that was as long as 5 years ago on some rifles. You think maybe my eyes have changed a little since then?? They have. I went back a checked the diopter on each scope mounted rifle. It didn't totally solve the problem but it significantly improved my ability to see the reticle more clearly. Others who are having the same problem as I am having might check when the last time was that they set the diopter.