• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What reg pressure should I choose

Hello everyone, I'm obviously new to PCP, I've purchased a Benjamin Akela in. 22. I'm pretty happy with the build quality of the rifle however I would like to install a Lane regulator to improve efficiency and improve effective shot count and trajectory. My question is what pressure ( ft-lbs) should I chose for the reg. I would like to be able to shoot 18 gr pellets at about 875 fps out to 50 yards consistently with a usable shot count of around 75 shots. If I'm dreaming please set me straight, I know this isn't a precision rifle and will be used for hunting and informal target. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Given your target velocity, I recommend that you adjust the HST and reg setting to yield a maximum velocity of around 920 fps. If you then back down the hammer tension to get your 875 fps, you should have a reasonably well balanced tune. You don't exactly choose your reg set point, it's guided by the rifle's performance to achieve a good balance. The set point will end up where it needs to be.

Oldand -

To shoot that distance (50yrds), 90 to 100 (that's 1450+ psi !) bar is MORE...than enough pressure to shoot that distance. It's also plenty so that it doesn't pound your guns guts (o-rings) to death.

That's where most of my guns are set, and they hit the target just fine.
If you are hunting, then yeah, go to 120-125 bar, but for targets, it's not a requirement.

Mike

Have you messed with the hammer spring? I cut mine and turned the adjuster out and it shoots great.
Steady shot cycle and consistent shot placement.
Flattened the shot curve tremendously.
Just a thought, does not cost anything.
I have not, I backed out the adjuster 2 turns but haven't cut the spring. How many coils did you take off?

Different gun but m P35 in 22 shoots 18 grain pellets at about 875 fps and gets 60-70 shots out of a 250 bar fill of it's 265cc chamber. I think it falls off the reg at about 130 or maybe 135 bar (there is no gauge for the regulator, only the air chamber so you have to looks at the gauge when the velocity starts to fall). I don't always fill all the way to 250 and have not shot a full shot string, I am estimating based upon how much pressure goes down for 20 or 30 shots. If your air chamber is similar in size and you can fill to 250 bar you may get what you want.

Different gun but m P35 in 22 shoots 18 grain pellets at about 875 fps and gets 60-70 shots out of a 250 bar fill of it's 265cc chamber. I think it falls off the reg at about 130 or maybe 135 bar (there is no gauge for the regulator, only the air chamber so you have to looks at the gauge when the velocity starts to fall). I don't always fill all the way to 250 and have not shot a full shot string, I am estimating based upon how much pressure goes down for 20 or 30 shots. If your air chamber is similar in size and you can fill to 250 bar you may get what you want.
Thank you, I believe the Akela has a 280cc chamber so it's worth a try, I'll double check but I can fill to 300 bar so that's probably right. Lot of good information here, thanks to you all!

Ok guys ,please bare with me, I'm trying to better understand how all of the pressure figures relate to one another and the performance of the rifle. That being said , am I correct in assuming that a fill of 200 bar will provide a higher shot count on a regulator set at say 100 ft.-lbs then it would at one set at 120 ft.-lbs. I know all guns react differently and that the hammer spring pressure plays a big part , Im just trying to understand the relationship between the Reg and input pressure. Thank you all for you help !