What reflex (red dot) for the PP750?

bigHUN

Jan 16, 2020
L4G7X4 Canada
My PP750 is in the mail, now I have only couple days to figure out how to aim with it. ;(

I have Hyperopia, or farsightedness and cannot see my fingers and not an iron/pistol sight, using glasses for aiming/reloading is just messing up my game.

For my FX Impact I got the SigSauer Romeo7, works great also have a 6x power magnifier (currently back to Sig for warranty repair), but these are picatinny mounts. Also have a spare TenPoint crossbow scope but that one is a fixed 3x also not sure for parallax if shooting extended hands.

What red dots you guys using with 11mm rail?

Let me ask here first for a proven model.

Edited: I shall correct myself, red dot sights are mostly higher profile units dimension ally, the reflex sights are lower and maybe more suitable for pistol?

I wish I could answer your question. And the reason I’m responding is, that I just got a PP 700 today and really like it. I was going to go with the PP 750 but changed my mind. But I’m gonna be looking for an optic also. I was just wondering with your vision like that, how are you going to be able to see real good through a red dot Site. I have a couple already, and when I look through them, the dot is kind of blurry. And my vision isn’t as bad as yours but still have the same problem. I can get a halfway decent view of the iron sites but these particular guns will shoot a little further and be accurate. So for me to shoot further distance, i’m trying to figure out what type of site to use also. I’m going to use mine as a pistol and a rifle after I buy the folding stock for it. But there are people on here that are very experienced that will be able to help you better. Good luck finding what you like. 

...I was going to go with the PP 750 but changed my mind......

I was just wondering with your vision like that, how are you going to be able to see real good through a red dot Site.

I have a couple already, and when I look through them, the dot is kind of blurry. And my vision isn’t as bad as yours but still have the same problem....

Farsightedness or astigmatism are different thing. I tested my own eyesight myself based on lot of reading online.

Basically, I don't have astigmatism, I only don't see closer objects without glasses when is less light condition, summertime outdoor and at noon I can read my email on my cellphone (this poop is coming from work on a PC screen over 3 decades, that image on the screen is fixed distance).

I am using my glasses only to load the mags (and this why I prefer to have multiple mags with me) and then putting the glasses away and aiming normally.

There are huge differences between red-dot and red-dot and red-dot. If you have a an option to try somewhere a prism red dot that one is a best for astigmatism. Also try using sunglasses with polarizer coating, takes of (or minimizes) the blurriness of a dot.

I have polarized sunglasses that I use for fishing. I’ll give them a try. ..

Also be aware, there are several "variations" of polarizing glasses as you sad you have for fishing...you may find a larger variety in a shopping mall, those sunglasses booths to visit. Or, a photo equipment stores have polarized camera lens filters to try what to look for.

So what is a problem with a red dot?

The LED diode projects a dot into the lens, most likely from about 4-5 a clock position (from that pocket there) into the center of the lens.

20200829_172201.1604994790.jpg

A cheaper coating on the lens creates an artifact around the image which gets some sort of shape and most likely looks like this "\".

20200829_172138.1604994892.jpg

Your aged or "not so perfect eye" amplifies further and you see a star burst and any kind of weird things.

But a good news is, if you can make a picture like me that means it is not your eyes a biggest problem. You can also test it out by rotating the red dot (unit) and if the artifact rotates you are good to go for next step.

With a decent polarizing lens (or a bit higher quality and $$$ sunglasses with polarized coating) you can minimize the flaw from the sight cheap optical coating.

The Hawke Red Dots are very nice.

I have a Hawke 1x20 that has an 11mm dovetail mount. I occasionally use it on my P-rod but I have never shot it in pistol form with the red dot attached. There is also a 1x30 with dovetail mount.

I suspect I'd prefer a reflex in pistol form. I feel like there was a discussion recently that discussed reflex sights with 11 mm dovetails. I can't recall if it was on this subforum or the Optics subforum.

The Hawke Red Dots are very nice.

I have a Hawke 1x20 that has an 11mm dovetail mount. I occasionally use it on my P-rod but I have never shot it in pistol form with the red dot attached. There is also a 1x30 with dovetail mount.

I suspect I'd prefer a reflex in pistol form. I feel like there was a discussion recently that discussed reflex sights with 11 mm dovetails. I can't recall if it was on this subforum or the Optics subforum.

I use my Hawke Dot on my 2240 pistol and it works great. I use a 4-12 scope on my PP750 as I use it as a carbine.

I had a (brand new out of box) Vortex Sparc AR red dot, combined with a magnifier a dot became a line.

20200813_143900.1605025822.jpg

Brought it back to a store for a refund. Picked up a Sig Sauer Romeo5, return it, picked up a Romeo7 and no improvement.

A picture with Sig Romeo7 and Juliet6 mounted.

20200905_214515.1605025900.jpg

After some playing around and investigations online (also my wife works in ITAR optics manufacturing) I came to a conclusion that:

a red dot by itself as a stand alone unit is working fine with average human eye, but combining with a magnifier the coatings errors (in both units) multiply the artifact/ghost.

The Juliet6 magnifier is back to Sig for warranty repair (or do whatever fock they want to do with it) and I ordered a prism sight Sig Bravo5, these for my FX Impact. So the Romeo5 (brand new never shot) is either up for grab or eventually could mount it to a pistol but will be bulky.

For a PP750 pistol looking now for a low profile prism or reflex with acceptable parallax, if I could mount it directly to a 11mm rail without any adapters that would be a bonus.

And, all this exercise...because I like toys 2 ;(

On my PP700 I’ve used two different red dots, both are small pistol sized, one by ADE (actually a green dot), and another by Tru-Glo. You really can tell a considerable difference in quality between the two sights, insofar as blurring due to astigmatism goes.I suffer from astigmatism, and for my eyes the Tru-Glo shows up much more clearly, with very little “starring” or blurring. The ADE seems to be pretty popular if you can believe everything you read on the internet but is an absolute train wreck for me. I can only assume that is due to the type and quality of the lens coating that each manufacturer chose to use, which is reflected in the pricing as well.

To put it simply, there is virtually no reason to use anything other than the UTG .22/Airgun to Picatinny/Weaver Low Pro Snap-in Adaptor. It does the job easily and perfectly the first time out. The fact that they are quite inexpensive is the icing on the cake, for right around ten bucks you can convert two pistol/red dot combos. What’s not to like?

My one site is made by sight mark and I’ll get a fairly clear image of a dot And then a ghost image of another dot at around the 4 to 5 o’clock position.I noticed that my UTG red dot is a much clearer image. But still not perfect for me. I’m still considering the see all sight.This is the second time somebody has mentioned one and I read up on it but would be more comfortable if I could see one in person.

I love to use red dots for close in work. 25 yards & less seems perfect for me. All of mine are cheap red dots with a 2-3mm dot size. I have always thought my right eye had a significant astigmatism, and as a result every dot seemed blurry or a star burst with that eye. (my dominate eye). Much better sight picture with my left eye, little to no star effect with same optics.

Getting a thorough check up for catarac surgery, I was told that 80% of what I was experiencing was due to the cataracs. My astigmatism was minimal and the catarac procedure alone should take care of it without special "toric" lenses (for astigmatism). We'll see. Pun intended! I think too often we blame the optic when it's our eyes. I sure hope that is the case, I'll report back mid December and let you know. Wish me luck.