• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What red dot or prism ?

Is that the AIM Sports 2-7x32 or 2-7x42? Or something else?
It's an AIM 2-7x42. FOV is fine on it. I had originally gotten it for a cheapie Cricket Pistol .22LR, but didnt care for it on that application. It wasnt as long of eye relief as a normal pistol scope, but worked out perfect on my lever gun. Mil dots and on low power, I can find targets as well as an LPVO (more or less). I had actually had it stashed away for a few years and had put a Holosun on the lever gun, but wanted more magnification. I dont like scout scopes and never considered this, but the FOV was good enough to cause me to change my mind on this particular application, even on 7x. Dont get me wrong, I would still prefer a good LPVO, but just wont work.

It's an AIM 2-7x42. FOV is fine on it. I had originally gotten it for a cheapie Cricket Pistol .22LR, but didnt care for it on that application. It wasnt as long of eye relief as a normal pistol scope, but worked out perfect on my lever gun. Mil dots and on low power, I can find targets as well as an LPVO (more or less). I had actually had it stashed away for a few years and had put a Holosun on the lever gun, but wanted more magnification. I dont like scout scopes and never considered this, but the FOV was good enough to cause me to change my mind on this particular application, even on 7x. Dont get me wrong, I would still prefer a good LPVO, but just wont work.

Does the actual eye relief match up well with the listed eye relief?

I've watched/read a few Scout scope reviews & a common theme is eye relief not matching up with listed specs, especially across the magnificent range.

Never about the AIM Scout scopes, however.

Does the actual eye relief match up well with the listed eye relief?

I've watched/read a few Scout scope reviews & a common theme is eye relief not matching up with listed specs, especially across the magnificent range.

Never about the AIM Scout scopes, however.
I couldnt tell you, sorry. I've had this scope for at least 4 years now and after a brief stint on that pistol, it went in amongst my junk and was forgotten about until I tried it on the lever gun.

Primary Arms has their own line of prism scopes. SLX microprism 3x would be a good fit and comes with several different mounting options to fit your gun. I hear the glass is a little better on the 3x than the 5x. I have the 1x and 3x in the SLX line and the 2x in the GLx line. All of them are small and light for what you get and have great clear glass. Illumination is super bright if you need it. The Immersive Optics prisms have a wide field of view but suffer from short eye relief. I have the 5x24 IO prism and it works well for a woods walking dreamline tact compact.
Hi Joedirt -

You're comparing two of the optics I'm looking most closely at - The 5x primary arms microprism & the IO prisms.

I've got a 1022 with a 12 inch barrel and a carbon fiber stock - I'm trying to keep it really light. Main use is for hunting and plinking

Is parallax an issue for the primary arms prisms. I was considering also using an offset red dot for quick shooting.

The Immersive Optics prism is harder to find, and is heaver, but has AO - Which would you pick?

I ended up finding a used 5x30 immersive for my use. It’s a great little scope for the money. Clear glass, compact and light. While I like that it has parallax, I don’t use it past 40yds, and don’t see it as a big deal if it wasn’t there. I’m not sure how the primary arms is, but even the 5x30 immersive has a tight eyebox. Not zero relief like the higher mag immersive, but enough that the scope needs to be far enough back to get a good picture. If you’re looking for something that folds into a pack, This might limit the options on which pack to buy.

DE74D47B-6626-49AD-A2A5-0529863A0854.jpeg

The Primary Arms will have about 2-2.5" eye relief and a decent field of view. I would stick with the 3x primary arms if you were going that prism route. Airgunarcheryfun in canada is where I got my IO prism. I went with the 5x24 so I could use standard 30mm scope rings to mount it. It has a great field of view but tighter eye box. The 2x primary arms has great glass and is only a couple feet larger in view than the 3x but the reticle is really small looking so the illumination comes in handy. For close up shots you would not need an offset reddot.

Hi Joedirt -

You're comparing two of the optics I'm looking most closely at - The 5x primary arms microprism & the IO prisms.

I've got a 1022 with a 12 inch barrel and a carbon fiber stock - I'm trying to keep it really light. Main use is for hunting and plinking

Is parallax an issue for the primary arms prisms. I was considering also using an offset red dot for quick shooting.

The Immersive Optics prism is harder to find, and is heaver, but has AO - Which would you pick?

I haven't owned a 10/22 in many years but as I recall it was difficult to set up with compact and/or short-ish eye relief scopes. I suspect you're going to have difficulty with getting the eye relief correct. I realize there are all sorts of custom 10/22 builds nowadays so maybe this won't be a problem with your rifle.

Speaking of which, can you post a picture of your 10/22?

The new IO or Element 5x30 Pro scopes might work better with 85mm eye relief. They also have also have 50% more field of view than the 5x micro.

The previously mentioned GLX 2x is an option worth considering. I have one and the eye relief seems very forgiving to me and I've read similar comments in reviews. I have not noticed parallax error with mine. It gets a bit fuzzy when shooting indoors at 14 yards but no issues with accuracy. And @Joedirt199 is correct, it works well for quick shots.

However, I still think I would lean towards an Immersive 5x30 Pro or even a lightweight 1-4x24 LPVO for your 10/22.

I haven't owned a 10/22 in many years but as I recall it was difficult to set up with compact and/or short-ish eye relief scopes. I suspect you're going to have difficulty with getting the eye relief correct. I realize there are all sorts of custom 10/22 builds nowadays so maybe this won't be a problem with your rifle.

Speaking of which, can you post a picture of your 10/22?

The new IO or Element 5x30 Pro scopes might work better with 85mm eye relief. They also have also have 50% more field of view than the 5x micro.

The previously mentioned GLX 2x is an option worth considering. I have one and the eye relief seems very forgiving to me and I've read similar comments in reviews. I have not noticed parallax error with mine. It gets a bit fuzzy when shooting indoors at 14 yards but no issues with accuracy. And @Joedirt199 is correct, it works well for quick shots.

However, I still think I would lean towards an Immersive 5x30 Pro or even a lightweight 1-4x24 LPVO for your 10/22.

Thanks Scouty and Joe dirt... your feedback is appreciated!

Ive got a short stock on it, and I've tested other prisms for eye relief, so I don't think that will be an issue

the stock I've made is 3d printed ASA skinned in carbon fiber. it's half the weight of the hogue stock I had on it before... and more stiff. I've still got to do another layer of epoxy and finish some sanding.

the second pic is wearing a vortex 3x prism from a 223 just for testing.

the final pic is a mockup with the 3x and the shows the offset mount inset. that combo would have both Optics and mounts come in at 10oz

IMG_20231111_002353.jpg
IMG_20231109_150957.jpg

Darr22 with last mockup (1).png

Thanks Scouty and Joe dirt... your feedback is appreciated!

Ive got a short stock on it, and I've tested other prisms for eye relief, so I don't think that will be an issue

the stock I've made is 3d printed ASA skinned in carbon fiber. it's half the weight of the hogue stock I had on it before... and more stiff. I've still got to do another layer of epoxy and finish some sanding.

the second pic is wearing a vortex 3x prism from a 223 just for testing.

the final pic is a mockup with the 3x and the shows the offset mount inset. that combo would have both Optics and mounts come in at 10oz

View attachment 405239View attachment 405240

View attachment 405238

Thank you for posting those. The Primary Arms prism does look good on your mockup.

Another option are the Hawke Prismatics. Somebody just recently posted that they were able to adjust the fixed focus on one of those. They came in 4x and 6x as I recall. I think they have very simple circle/dot reticles. And while I'm not a huge fan of the Primary Arms reticles I've actually used, I do think I like them better than the typical circle dot.

Since eye relief doesn't seem to be an issue, I guess you choices come down to having a larger field of view and adjustable parallax (Immersive) versus the more compact and lighter weight of the Primary Arms.

Not to make your choices more confusing, but I have heard good things about the Swampfox 5x36 prism.

I decided to replace my (second hand) IO 4x30 and ordered the new IO 5x30-Pro with MDR reticle directly from UK supplier, ETA probably next week.
I tried the MDR before, it is a fun and a beast reticle for mid to close action games :)

Which UK supplier was willing to ship to Canada? I tried a couple & they said no shipping to US.

Which UK supplier was willing to ship to Canada? I tried a couple & they said no shipping to US.
I know several suppliers in UK and EU you need to research who is shipping to US. I have a similar problem with ITAR in recent years because US stores won't ship to Canada or I must pay a middleman $2-300 to buy a export permit.... for a re-branded Chinese made scope.