• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What PCP to choose for hunting

Tons of rifles in .22 that will take out rabbits. 

Many PCPs dont hit what your pointing at.

So nothing without a regulator for sure.

My opinion for anything bigger than rabbits:

.25 and up. .25 is only for tiny animals. 

.30 at least for Coyotes. 

Get a .357 Impact if your going to hunt. 

If anyone thinks they will take down a Coyote or a Hog with a "well placed" .25 cal shot...I don't think that's right. It's not humane. 

Happy shooting! 

This is always a hard question to answer, too many variables. Then there is personal preferences and aesthetics. What I want in a hunting kit, may not suit some one else's needs or wants.

If your main target is rabbits, they can be taken with any accurate gun or caliber, depending on distance. 

My favorite rabbit gun is a .177 HW30. Where I hunt, the vegetation only allows 30-35 yard shots max, and most are within 25 yards.

No matter what rifle you choose will be a compromise, good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

On a side note, I did some reading on Bulgaria. You live in a very beautiful country with a great climate. I'm putting it on my bucket list along with sailing the Black Sea.

I agree, a regulator is generally of little or no benefit for a hunting rig. The assumption here is you’re not going to need more than a handful of shots in a given outing. Just fill it up beforehand so it’s at the beginning of the useful portion of the bell curve. For example I’ve gone out squirrel hunting with one having a small reservoir with only about 10 useful shots and brought back my limit for the day.

I’m counting that as different from a pest control situation. There are number of scenarios like a pesting session for rats or ground squirrels where a regulator is very much welcome.

It’s true that a regulator, like any piece of a machine, adds complexity and new potential failure points. The main thing is more seals/O-rings contributing to a higher probability of leaks developing. If we’re being fair, creep is not a disadvantage a regulated system has that an unregulated one doesn’t. Creep simply produces a varying pressure at the valve…precisely the same thing that occurs in an unregulated system that is working normally. The difference is that the unregulated one has been carefully tuned to operate well over a broad pressure range. There is nothing preventing us from putting the same care and attention into tuning a regulated setup but it usually isn’t a necessary step to obtaining good results so it goes undone much of the time.

In other words, don’t be skeered of regulators. The water is fine.