• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What PCP system is a good place to start?

Ok so to this point, I've only owned and operated Break Barrel Air Rifles Nitro Pistons.

Where should I start in a solid PCP air machine that will be easy on the pocketbook? Preferably something that comes with a scope in the kit, charge pump etc. Looking for something that I can use out to 100 meters with confidence.

Thank you

Ok so to this point, I've only owned and operated Break Barrel Air Rifles Nitro Pistons.

Where should I start in a solid PCP air machine that will be easy on the pocketbook? Preferably something that comes with a scope in the kit, charge pump etc. Looking for something that I can use out to 100 meters with confidence.

Thank you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know if "out to 100 meters with confidence" is realistic, but check this out:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Field_And_Target_Air_Rifle_Kit/4854

I second the idea of the Marauder. Solid build. Can be tuned, but also great right of the box. Very quiet, if that's a concern. Lots of accessories/upgrades out there to make it your own, but also comfortable the way it arrives. And it is a great price for the quality and reliability. 

Of course, if you want to spend a bit more, you can't go wrong with an FX either. But they run 2-3X the price.

That depends on what "easy on the pocketbook" means. 

The Marauder can be bought as a combo with a scope. Not all, but many scopes that come with a "combo" deal are a little iffy. A fair scope can be had for around $100.

The Marauder will also be a somewhat friendly PCP to use a hand pump with. The price varies on those, sometimes you get what you pay for.

I have a F&T Marauder .177 caliber which costs a little more that the non regulated version. I'm very happy with it and certainly have confidence to hit soda can sized targets , using my favorite pellet for that gun which are JSB 10.34's, at 100 meters (109 yards).

Last, but not least is that the marauders are very easy to fix yourself if you have a problem. And yes, PCP's can certainly have problems. Crossman/Benjamin support for parts and help is one of the best. Good Luck on whichever PCP you buy.

You could put together a good non regulated Marauder setup for around $700. The regulated version setup would add about $100. Well worth it in my opinion. More shots per fill and a very consistent velocity through about 80 shots using my gun. It can be shot "as is" with the factory settings, or tuned to how you want it. Also extra mags are only $15.

I agree that the Marauder is a great choice for a first time PCP rifle. What hasn't been mentioned though is that they are selling for very reasonable prices on the classifieds or places like Field Supply sometimes have refurbs for around 340 dollars. Getting a used rifle would allow you some extra money to purchase an aftermarket regulator and lighter hammer if need be. And if your mechanically inclined they are very easy to work on yourself and add upgrades as you go. Plus saving money up front can add extra funds to purchase a little better scope as well.

If I were you here's exactly what I would do:

First, adjust expectations - expecting pinpoint accuracy at 100 yards limits you to high end pellet rifles bigger bore air rifles. Lots of money, lots of air- not for beginners.

Second, I would take my first $300 and get a yong heng pump. In my mind- to really enjoy your PC you need a fill source. Hand pumping doesnt cut it for most people, and unless you are superman or really have a point to prove, it probably won't work for you.

Third, I'd spend spend $90 on a hawke vantage scope, and say 10 bucks for rings. That will do you without breaking the bank. Bundled scopes are typically trash.

Now I have $300 dollars. There are several capable PCP's that you can get regularly at $300 or under [sales, coupons]. The hatsan AT44 and Flash are good options with good power and cheap magazines. The gamo urban is another option but with expensive mags. People say the Umarex gauntlet is good, I have not shot one. Same with the Benjamin discovery [single shot though]. You could get a carbine-style rifle with a shorter barrel but removeable stock (Kral NP03, Hatsan ATP2).

Good luck

The MRod is a good choice for all the reasons listed above. But it is huge, I thought it would be my first but the size put me off. Even if you stay on your current budget. And you like to shoot, it won’t be your last PCP, you’ll end up with more than one. If you’re not in a hurry, there are good used PCPs to be had especially when all the new models come out. Some of the vendors who advertise here on AGN have used PCPs for sale. Also there are good deals to be had in the classifieds here. But you have to know what you’re looking at. You can get tons of reviews, and comments from regular guys on most PCPs you might be interested in. You might consider the pump and scope as separate purchases. Good luck.

Ain't reading no ones replies.....100 yd with confidence....AIN'T HAPPENING..Easy to pump,accurate,fun and less expensive can happen.

I say study,read up and become educated on PCPs,it is worth the time and effort...that said there are some PCP under $400 that are worth a beginner getting...make sure it is hand pump friendly, my Gamo Urban is ,so is the old Discovery and some target models Crosmans...I takes around 100+pumps to fill this rifles...you can research and maybe buy a good used outfit to save money and end up with something better....

I started with the Marauder, and still have it. Love the gun, but it's not a 100 yard gun. 50 to 75 yards is a good range, mine is in .22 caliber.

For a gun that shoots to 100 yards with confidence, look at the Extreme Bench rest winners. FX is almost always in the top couple guns. I believe a Brockock Bantam Sniper won the AoA Extreme Bench rest last year.

Forget a hand pump though. You'll spend hours pumping instead of shooting. At least get a cheap compressor.

My second gun is an FX Impact. the 480 CC tank will take a long time to pump. The Marauder has a 215 CC tank. that's about 100 strokes to pump up the Marauder tank from 1800 PSI to 3000 PSI. The 480 CC tank will take several hundred strokes. That ain't fun. At least get a Yong Heng compressor for about $250.

Just my thoughts. I'd recommend an FX to anyone. The Crown is a fantastic gun and shoots 100 yards with ease. The Impact will do the same. Apparently the Bantam Sniper will do the same as well. Do a bit of research on the winners and take your pick.

good luck

Thank you

Lots of potential choices. Ask yourself REALISTICALLY what type of shooting you will doing the most off. Pest? Hunting? Wide-open or in the woods? Paper, plinking and targets?

IE: figure out what you're honestly going to be doing most of the time, then pick the gun you like. I did this seemingly eons ago and opted for a PP700 pistol, an inexpensive handpump, and some inexpensive optics. I can hit whatever I want at 40 yards with near surgical precision but I'm shooting in the woods or plinking in the yard. If I wanted to reach out further and touch critters with authority, I would have opted for saving a lot longer and buying a nicer gun, a better scope, and maybe even a compressor. But... 100 meters reliably? You're talking pushing into the $700+ range in airguns to do this consistently (and yes, everybody claims to have a budget PCP that shoots MOA at eleventeen kajillion yards)- without a scope or fill method.

In your shoes without knowing jacksquat about the type of shooting you intend to do, I'd opt for ultra-versatile and accurate RE: wanting to shoot the most accurate PCP for the money... I would wait for somebody to sell an Air Arms 4- or 5- series rifle or a BSA R10. I would skip .177 and focus on .22. I would buy an inexpensive eBay or Amazon handpump. And thus for $1000 you can get a superb rifle, a good scope, plenty of pellets, a handpump, and a chronograph.

The PCPs I named are known for serious accuracy, low frequency of problems, simple operation and mechanicals, and- as these models have been out a while- prices, especially on used guns- are very fair.

I started with the mrods dumping cash in them to make them better.the cost can get up close the the cost of a FX dreamline.i would go with the dreamline right off the bat.ihad three mrods now I down to one.i would sell it but I have dumped a bunch of cash into it and could NEVER get out of it what I have in it.i took a big loss selling the other two mrods.