What pcp air rifle ,bullpup to buy?

Just an overall comment about BPs, having shot an AAS500 for several years. The standard rifle layout tends to be more barrel heavy that a bullpup. I find, that to be maximally accurate with a BP - FX WC - I must focus on follow-through more alot like shooting a springer. That's just me. But I was nailing groundsquirrels at 50-60 yards easy with the AA standard/carbine. My FX WC is great and accurate, but I must take more care to do follow-through. I think the lighter muzzle is great for offhand shooting and without support and at closer ranges. But I find at my standard 45 yard zero, more care and mental preparation are required for the same level of accuracy as a standard rifle.

I'll also mention the breach o-ring in the Fx WC was a fricking mdkfjdoidjdio to replace. It was, as usual, operator error. It took me three wasted o-rings to figure I'd better remove the rearmost section of cheekpiece plastic so as to provide more access to nudging that round thingie into the hole properly. Likely just me and my lack of foresight. But the moment I removed that plastic, o-ring went in like a heat seaking missle. Of course there was the prior practice that had taken me hours!!

Rob

One thing which has been hit upon already is the FX guns, seem to be picky on pellet choice IMHO they only shoot JSB domed pellets accurately. Others do OK but JSB by far the best shooting. So pretty much limited to JSB pellets. I have not heard this mentioned with other brands. I have Bobcat is 22, it is accurate but wish it were so with other brands of pellets. The Bobcat is on the heavy side and magazines are ridiculously expensive!!!! I would seriously consider the Cricket or Vulcan......leaning to the Vulcan. The Vulcan is light and accurate plus a reversible bolt for lefties. Nice placement of the bolt for easy follow up shots. Only if is came with a synthetic stock...

I do not mean any disrespect to anyone discussing the FX pellet fussy issue; however I have shot well over 35,000 pellets combined through my two .22 FX rifles since May of 2104 and I have tried every type and brand of .22 pellet I can get my hands on. Yes, I am sure there are several I have missed. The only pellet type that both guns do not like is wadcutters and I have tried wadcutters from at least 4 different brands. But other than that, be it JSB, H&N, Benjamin (sorted to get the dirt out), or what ever - both rifles shoot them all very well. I have not had any issues what so ever with either rifle being pellet-brand picky. In fact for the upcoming Pyramyd Cup shoot, I will be using JSB pellets for one part of the shoot and H&N for the other part, and the reason for that has nothing at all to do with any possible accuracy differences between the two pellet brands. 

Let me throw a little twist in. After being into high end springers for years decided to try PCP's. Obviously the Marauder has a mass following. I looked at the higher priced ones. Not having a Tank or Compressor I learned right quick a hand pump wasn't going to cut it. I opted for a used Synthetic Marauder Gen 2. upgraded it with some Hill parts. I then took the rest of my budget and invested in a Hung Yeng compressor, $100 on a water / oil separator / filter and a used 30 min SCBA Tank and Fill adapter. I have a nail driver and never have to worry about filling up. All for about $800.00 

FX Wildcat gets my vote for this thread. If you check AoA's used page, they've got a used MK1 Wildcat (standard Smooth Twist, among other things). It's $995 if I remember correctly. They also have an Impact for $1395. If I were just getting a hunting gun, the Wildcat wins there. If I wanted the ultimate adjustability gun, Impact. Don't waste time upgrading a Marauder. You start with a $500 gun, spend $300 or $400 on parts and have a really fancy $500 gun, when you could have purchased a used Wildcat for about the same amount. Buy what you want to start with. New Wildcat is only $1350 in synthetic, leaving a Scope and lots and lots of pellets in the budget.

I'm wondering why folks dig up this type 4 yr old posts, but airguns are fun. Perhaps the OP will chime back in in another 203 yrs.

John

John, that’s been a pet peeve of mine, not just here, but on a couple of diesel forums I belong to. The OP pipes in, asking everyone for help, advice, whatever, and page after page come in with all this helpful advice. You have to agree, that in the end, this is not just helping the OP, but to every new person doing his own due diligence by searching and learning, before asking for everyone’s advice. Especially on topics that have been hashed over for centuries, like how to adjust the Marauder hammer spring.

OP never pipes back in, with the reasons of why he ends up going in this or that direction, and a lot of the times not a thank you to all that aided that OP. 

Rant over. Welcome to the world of forums, I guess. Can’t please everyone. Not saying I’m perfect, but I make it a point to thank everyone who aided me in a decision, especially if it was one that cost $$$. Just sayin’

If I bought a brand-new 25 cal synthetic marauder and put $500 in upgrades will this gun be better than FX or just as equal or would I just wasting money and I should just go ahead and purchase an FX?

No matter what you spend it'll still have a Marauder designed trigger, valve, and internals. I have a Marauder and an Impact. No matter what I spent on the Marauder, I can't make it as good as the Impact. Besides, if you put all those upgrades into a Marauder, why bother. Just buy the gun you want.

Before I bought a Marauder with intent to upgrade and spend over $1000 total, I'd buy a Streamline or Dreamline first. Out of the box a Streamline or Dreamline will be more accurate than a Marauder with upgrades, and better guns overall.

Wildcat, Vulcan, matador, cricket, taipan. I haven’t shot any of these so don’t count my .02 as high as maybe the others, but when researching pcps hard core for over a year these were the bullpups in my list. The new Vulcan looks amazing. It seems to be on par with the edgun/cricket/taipan but with side lever cocking. I CAN tell you how insanely nice that feature is. So at least take a look at it. If you were deciding just between the wildcat n bobcat, I’d go wildcat just based on what you say you want.