What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

Hello everyone,

Great shooting conditions early this morning before the sun rises above the trees. I figured that I had better shoot some paper targets before the winds get to blowing too much so I set some targets out at 25-yards. Shot a few times at a warm up target and the Sniper XR was shooting so good that I decided to shoot an 8 by 8 Competition target.

Range: Outdoor 25-Yards
Rifle: Brocock Sniper XR .22 caliber
Scope: Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 10-40x56
Pellets: JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr Resized 5.53
FPS: 834
FPE: 28
Wind: 0 to 5 mph

ThomasT

View attachment 430596
That's what I'm talking about Thomas! Great card! I too enjoy shooting when there is just enough light for my old eyelobes....😂👍

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
I went back for more 100 yard testing. I tried out the 17.5 NSA’s, but was shooting the much too hot. I would Need to back off the regulator and hammer for these. Also looked at the ZAN’s in 20g..that was not a match for this barrel. I need up using the FX hybrids for the 2 paper 100yd MOA target. Had to compensate for the venting, so I was not directly aiming on target. The results are getting better, but not quite there yet. I will try reducing the fps a little more and try again tomorrow.
Mike

View attachment 430792
Mike! Very nice card! You are definitely getting closer to "the slug" your barrel needs! Don't give up! 🤗

Never!!
Mike! Very nice card! You are definitely getting closer to "the slug" your barrel needs! Don't give up! 🤗
Never!! :LOL: just need to slow the speed down more and try again tomorrow. It's weird shooting where you don't know the wind drafts. Shot on the top line and was pushed down to next line. then held off on next shots. Then it clicks off and you are back on X-hairs. Really confusing at times.
Thanks @Ranchibi
Mike

Hello everyone,

Man what a mess looking at these cards :( , but somewhere within is actually some good information. What happened is that I started on a new Tin of the “bad” JSB 18.13gr pellets yesterday and they did not shoot as good. So today I decided to do another test of the pellets that I have from 18gr up to 25.4gr. I only shot the JSB with the Scope zeroed at 25-yards, the balance of the pellets to give them a score I adjusted and will re-shoot them again and zero each pellet.

Taking everything into consideration at this point, I am impressed how well the Brocock Sniper XR will shoot such a wide verity of Brands and weights. I still have a lot of shooting to do 😁.

Pellets: see list
FPS: ?
FPE: ?

ThomasT
Test-2.jpg
1-BS-1a.jpg
1-BS-2.jpg
1-BS-3.jpg

Never!!

Never!! :LOL: just need to slow the speed down more and try again tomorrow. It's weird shooting where you don't know the wind drafts. Shot on the top line and was pushed down to next line. then held off on next shots. Then it clicks off and you are back on X-hairs. Really confusing at times.
Thanks @Ranchibi
Mike
🙏! LOL....yup, wind drift is something else but with slugs much less so than pellets! Keep at it and HAVE FUN doing so! Yes, it can be frustrating at times for sure, I have been there MANY MANY times too...😂👍! I still find my sight picture makes THE BIGGEST POI shift with slugs bar none...just a hair off and it shifts..spot on and pellet accuracy at shorter distances and better at longer distances, with pellets, not so much.

Hello everyone,

Man what a mess looking at these cards :( , but somewhere within is actually some good information. What happened is that I started on a new Tin of the “bad” JSB 18.13gr pellets yesterday and they did not shoot as good. So today I decided to do another test of the pellets that I have from 18gr up to 25.4gr. I only shot the JSB with the Scope zeroed at 25-yards, the balance of the pellets to give them a score I adjusted and will re-shoot them again and zero each pellet.

Taking everything into consideration at this point, I am impressed how well the Brocock Sniper XR will shoot such a wide verity of Brands and weights. I still have a lot of shooting to do 😁.

ThomasT
View attachment 430952View attachment 430953View attachment 430954View attachment 430955
Thomas, the "bad tin" is, well, BAD...😂! Your B Sniper is VERY accurate with a non picky anmo barrel, an attribute that all us airgunners WANT! I am lucky like you in that my RAW's barrel is not pellet picky at all....Woo Hoo! Raining here like cats & dogs since 1am.....supposed to relent close to 3pm, I will hopefully get a chance to chuck some lead then....🙏!

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Hello everyone,

ThomasT
View attachment 430952View attachment 430953View attachment 430954View attachment 430955
Nice testing! The barrel doesn't seem fussy about what it shoots. Doesn't look like sizing is necessary for this one. Big difference in the FX and MRD's, which are basically the same thing. What kind of slugs did you use? I am certain i will be doing this testing in a few weeks. Wanted to go to the range today ..but i think i need a boat to get there today...lots of rain.
Nice post Thomas!
Mike

Last edited:
  • Love
Nice testing! The barrel doesn't seem fussy about what it shoots. Doesn't look like sizing is necessary for this one. Big difference in the FX and MRD's, which are basically the same thing. What kind of slugs did you use? I am certain i will be doing this testing in a few weeks. Wanted to go to the range today ..but i think i need a boat to get there today...lots of rain.
Nice post Thaomas!
Mike
Hello @manabeknives

I used H&N Slug HP 21gr slugs but I really want to stay with pellets. Yeah the rifle seems to shoot various pellets OK, but I want a lot better than OK. Other than a new Tin of pellets I don't know why my accuracy has changed so much. As you see in my notes I plan to re-shoot a full card of five of the pellets for a complete test and will zero the scope for each pellet.

I am pretty much shot out for today 🤪 , or at least for now.

ThomasT

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I shot a full card MOA 25-Yard with 23 out of 30 hitting the bullseye which is 76%. Not perfect but not a “flyer” in the 7 misses and this was shot with Pellet #8 / AA Heavy 18gr .

Pellets: AA Heavy 18gr
Wind: 5 to 10 mph

ThomasT

Brocock Sniper XR.133.jpg

Hello everyone,

I shot a full card MOA 25-Yard with 23 out of 30 hitting the bullseye which is 76%. Not perfect but not a “flyer” in the 7 misses and this was shot with Pellet #8 / AA Heavy 18gr .

Pellets: AA Heavy 18gr
Wind: 5 to 10 mph

ThomasT

View attachment 431042
What are the black dots?

What are the black dots?
Hello @rsfrid

Those are from a Black Marker that I used to "re-locate" those pellets that I shot without zeroing the scope. To be able to "score" them as close to equal that I could, I would lay the "shot" page on top of a clean target, then align the holes as close as possible as if one or more was a "X" and then mark all the holes with the marker ....is that crazy or what .... o_O , hey it worked. Anyway I simply reused that target to shoot 😁:p:ROFLMAO:

The AA Heavy 18gr shot seven bullseyes out of 10 on the "Test Card" and 76% on the full card, that is pretty good.

ThomasT

Hello @rsfrid

Those are from a Black Marker that I used to "re-locate" those pellets that I shot without zeroing the scope. To be able to "score" them as close to equal that I could, I would lay the "shot" page on top of a clean target, then align the holes as close as possible as if one or more was a "X" and then mark all the holes with the marker ....is that crazy or what .... o_O , hey it worked. Anyway I simply reused that target to shoot 😁:p:ROFLMAO:

The AA Heavy 18gr shot seven bullseyes out of 10 on the "Test Card" and 76% on the full card, that is pretty good.

ThomasT
Glad to see you being economical! I always thought you were wasting most of the card by always using only that tiny little circle in the center. I'm for eliminating waste and scattering those holes all over the card! 🤣😂😳🫢

• Haha
Glad to see you being economical! I always thought you were wasting most of the card by always using only that tiny little circle in the center. I'm for eliminating waste and scattering those holes all over the card! 🤣😂😳🫢
Hello @rsfrid

:ROFLMAO: and thank you.

ThomasT