• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

That would be a fun day @ThomasT . I ordered an assortment of .177 pellets and received them today. The wind was more calm this afternoon than it has been for quite some time (6 mph gusting to 14) so I decided to take my Challenger outside to 50’ and do some testing. Here are the two cards I shot. First one was with an assortment of Diablo domes and the send card was mostly wadcutters except for the two last rows where I tested the QYS domes again.

View attachment 353716

View attachment 353717

I made 197 shots on a single fill with air still left in the tank. I didn’t clean the pipe either so the accuracy could be a bit skewed but at least it provides me a baseline to do more follow up testing with a clean pipe.
I love the QYS Match and so does your Crosman. After all, they are a match made for Olympics! That row looks like single shots.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Thanks for the tip on those QYS pellets @rsfrid! Oddly the domes outshot the wadcutters in the tin and yellow / green box.

I’m going to repeat the test when I can shoot indoors at 50’. I don’t put a lot of faith in the results outdoors.
Just a thought — they might not be terribly consistent at anything over 33 feet since that is what they are meant for. I've not tried the domed, but heard good things about them. For a real test, try your Crosman offhand freestyle at 33 feet and shoot at a NRA bullseye slow fire pistol target. That'll test your skills! A fifteen year old just set world record at that sport!

That would be a fun day @ThomasT . I ordered an assortment of .177 pellets and received them today. The wind was more calm this afternoon than it has been for quite some time (6 mph gusting to 14) so I decided to take my Challenger outside to 50’ and do some testing. Here are the two cards I shot. First one was with an assortment of Diablo domes and the send card was mostly wadcutters except for the two last rows where I tested the QYS domes again.

View attachment 353716

View attachment 353717

I made 197 shots on a single fill with air still left in the tank. I didn’t clean the pipe either so the accuracy could be a bit skewed but at least it provides me a baseline to do more follow up testing with a clean pipe.
Hello @igolfat8

Lot of items to cover with your test.

Several pellets look really good and others could be given a more through test. I like to do three test back to back with 10 shots per test when I am looking real close at a pellet. Not sure it is actually required but I also run a swab down the barrel after each 10-shots.

I also am getting 200 shots per fill which is great.

Just a side note; my QYS pellets are wadcutters.

ThomasT

I've got three different QYS':
1) Wadcutter practice pellets, 500 / tin
2) Waductter "match" pellets, individually packed in foam, 200 / box
3) Domes, 500 / tin
The "match" are what I've been using but I'm sort of in love with FX 10.3 in my HW44 pistol. I posted todays shooting over in "Average Group Size".

• Love
I've got three different QYS':
1) Wadcutter practice pellets, 500 / tin
2) Waductter "match" pellets, individually packed in foam, 200 / box
3) Domes, 500 / tin
Hello @igolfat8

I am shooting the same wadcutter as Ross @rsfrid . I might try some of their Domed pellets.

ThomasT

Last edited:

I like these $14.50 450 count and you can order by lot #
Hello @beerthief

Well I have searched all over the USA for these pellets and cannot find any store with them in stock. Found some in the UK but the shipping cost more than the pellets :oops: .

ThomasT

Hello @beerthief

Well I have searched all over the USA for these pellets and cannot find any store with them in stock. Found some in the UK but the shipping cost more than the pellets :oops: .

ThomasT
That's the bad thing with Eley pellets or 22lr. I have found some 22lr on occasion, but it’s just about always sold out. Only a couple places here in US and folks that shoot that brand usually buy in bulk. I've given up on them. Here’s where to get them when in stock — https://www.creedmoorsports.com/category/pellets-

• Love
Hello @beerthief

ThomasT

• Love
That's the bad thing with Eley pellets or 22lr. I have found some 22lr on occasion, but it’s just about always sold out. Only a couple places here in US and folks that shoot that brand usually buy in bulk. I've given up on them. Here’s where to get them when in stock — https://www.creedmoorsports.com/category/pellets-
Hey Ross,

Yep, I checked Creedmore and Out of Stock

ThomasT

Reactions: rsfrid
Hello everyone and @Emu

OK shot just two 50-Yard MOA targets this morning and not out to 90-yards for two reasons, 1) too much wind and 2) my longest target is at 85-yards. I did not want to try 85 with this much wind.

This is target no.2 and I am pleased with it because I was able to shoot MOA and just barely, yes #13 did tear the Ring.

Rifle: Brocock Commander XR .177
Pellet: JSB Exact Heavy 10.34gr
Distance: 50-yards
Weather: Wind 12-15 with gust to 20mph

ThomasT

Brocock Commander XR .7.jpg

Hello everyone and @Emu

OK shot just two 50-Yard MOA targets this morning and not out to 90-yards for two reasons, 1) too much wind and 2) my longest target is at 85-yards. I did not want to try 85 with this much wind.

This is target no.2 and I am pleased with it because I was able to shoot MOA and just barely, yes #13 did tear the Ring.

Distance: 50-yards

ThomasT

View attachment 354413
Not bad at all.

When you notice there's no female wind, try the 85 yards !!!

Have an excellent Sunday !!!

• Haha
Not bad at all.

When you notice there's no female wind, try the 85 yards !!!

Have an excellent Sunday !!!
Hello again @Emu

It may be a while, the weather folks show fronts coming through every day of the next week. If the front comes through later on in the day then I might have an early morning shoot like this morning. I will let you know.

Thank you and have a great weekend also,
ThomasT

Hello everyone and @Emu

This is crazy but I just had to try shooting 85-yards despite the wind and here is the result. Just too much wind for that distance and the 10 gr pellet. When conditions are good I will try again but with 13gr pellets. That quarter will cover most shots on each target. I stopped shooting because it began to sprinkle a bit.

Distance: 85-yards

ThomasT
Brocock Commander XR .8.jpg

Hello everyone and @Emu

This is crazy but I just had to try shooting 85-yards despite the wind and here is the result. Just too much wind for that distance and the 10 gr pellet. When conditions are good I will try again but with 13gr pellets. That quarter will cover most shots on each target. I stopped shooting because it began to sprinkle a bit.

ThomasT
View attachment 354437

Do you shoot off bags or tripod ? And a solid bench ? Nice shooting.

• Love
Do you shoot off bags or tripod ? And a solid bench ? Nice shooting.
Hello @Headshots

I shoot off two sets of bags and a bag jack on a heavy wood bench. Lyman Bag and Bag Jack in the front and three Caldwell bags ( 2 large and 1 small ) in the rear. My set up is so solid that the rifle/scope are locked on the target. It is a bit bulky and takes time to reset for each shot but it works for me, see photo.

ThomasT
Dave-55.jpg

Reactions: Headshots
Hello everyone and @Emu

ThomasT
View attachment 354437

I did some 50 yard shooting in the wind yesterday. The least wind was when practicing with the Urban. And its the first time I tried Hades with it. My new toy was wanting to give me some good groups but that darn wind. I'm pretty sure the lord has a sense of humor . The the wind picked up evey time I went to shoot targets with my new Veteran Standard.

Edit . I forgot one important detail. The Urban has a 4X scope.

20230507_120617.jpg

20230507_120828.jpg

Last edited: