What optics for a Talon Pistol?

Hello I find for myself that when shooting a magnified optic on a pistol I find I need to rest or support the pistol, so in that case why not use a stock BUT again that is me. With that being said if you go the red dot route, get a good red dot with a small moa dot (I like Vortex Crossfire 2moa dot on sale around $120) Just remember a 2 moa dot the dot will cover 1 inch at 50 yds , 1/2 inch at 25 and just under a 1/4 at 10 yds (1/4 inch at 12 1/2 yds). Another thing you can do with a red dot is, on the times you decide to need that magnification you can add a 3x or 5x magnifier for those times, weather it be a clip on or fold to side unit. One bad thing about a red dot is that they are not set up to be dialed up and dialed down like a lot of regular scopes are, these are more of a find your desired zero distance, set it forget it, and learn your hold over/ hold under. One other thing is that red dots are generally made for speed over super precision, that does not mean that they are not accurate , the are, but due to the reticle size (a 2 moa dot) to a thin scope reticle (a .2-.5 moa crosshair) a scope will always be more precise. With my AP16 at 20 yds(burrs RT1) from a rest my groups are about the size of a dime, at 50 yds on my LCS19(Burris RT1) or L2(Eotech 552) both are under an inch. Vortex on my PB guns, great optic and warranty for the price point. I got the Burris red dots as an exchange of an old burris spotting scope going bad and no longer available with forever warranty, otherwise those guns would have Vortex as well. Well I hope that helped Eric.

Reactions: Stretch
Most all of my pistols have Holosun red dot sights. One has a scope, just for something different.

Holosun, Vortex, Sig Sauer all make very good red dot sights. The Holosun are normally the best at battery life (50,000 hrs)

1659967685422.jpeg

Another interesting sight is the "See ALL" sight. It works like a cross between a red dot and iron sights. They come in a "delta", (solid triangle) and a "T" reticle. I have a couple, on both pistols and a crossbow. They work very well with people that have "old" eyes ! And...no batterys required !

1659967727757.jpeg

1659968210603.jpeg

Mike

Hello I find for myself that when shooting a magnified optic on a pistol I find I need to rest or support the pistol, so in that case why not use a stock BUT again that is me. With that being said if you go the red dot route, get a good red dot with a small moa dot (I like Vortex Crossfire 2moa dot on sale around $120) Just remember a 2 moa dot the dot will cover 1 inch at 50 yds , 1/2 inch at 25 and just under a 1/4 at 10 yds (1/4 inch at 12 1/2 yds). Another thing you can do with a red dot is, on the times you decide to need that magnification you can add a 3x or 5x magnifier for those times, weather it be a clip on or fold to side unit. One bad thing about a red dot is that they are not set up to be dialed up and dialed down like a lot of regular scopes are, these are more of a find your desired zero distance, set it forget it, and learn your hold over/ hold under. One other thing is that red dots are generally made for speed over super precision, that does not mean that they are not accurate , the are, but due to the reticle size (a 2 moa dot) to a thin scope reticle (a .2-.5 moa crosshair) a scope will always be more precise. With my AP16 at 20 yds(burrs RT1) from a rest my groups are about the size of a dime, at 50 yds on my LCS19(Burris RT1) or L2(Eotech 552) both are under an inch. Vortex on my PB guns, great optic and warranty for the price point. I got the Burris red dots as an exchange of an old burris spotting scope going bad and no longer available with forever warranty, otherwise those guns would have Vortex as well. Well I hope that helped Eric.
I'm also a big fan of Vortex optics and that red dot is one of the optics I'm considering.

Most all of my pistols have Holosun red dot sights. One has a scope, just for something different.

Holosun, Vortex, Sig Sauer all make very good red dot sights. The Holosun are normally the best at battery life (50,000 hrs)

View attachment 281686

Another interesting sight is the "See ALL" sight. It works like a cross between a red dot and iron sights. They come in a "delta", (solid triangle) and a "T" reticle. I have a couple, on both pistols and a crossbow. They work very well with people that have "old" eyes ! And...no batterys required !

View attachment 281687

View attachment 281690

Mike
Thanks for bringing up the "SeeAll" sights, Mike. I completely forgot all about them. Having zero experience with red dots or "SeeAlls" it's kind of hard to decide which way to go. Plus the Airforce TalonP isn't a typical pistol platform, it's more like an ultralight AR-15 pistol with just a buffer tube, so I'm not sure if that will make one sight better than the other.

Thanks for bringing up the "SeeAll" sights, Mike. I completely forgot all about them. Having zero experience with red dots or "SeeAlls" it's kind of hard to decide which way to go. Plus the Airforce TalonP isn't a typical pistol platform, it's more like an ultralight AR-15 pistol with just a buffer tube, so I'm not sure if that will make one sight better than the other.

Stretch -

Well...the good thing is...NOTHING is permanent !
I swap my sights around all the time. I buy a particular sight (a red dot, or a prism, or a holographic) and put it on a particular gun. Then weeks, months later, I think, na, it might be better on...this gun. So I do the swap. I may change sights vs. guns two or three times before I'm happy.

Yeah, the SeeALL sights take a little getting used to, but are solid, well built sights, and work well after a little time behind them.

As I've mentioned to others, the Holosun HE530C (red or green) is my favorite red dot. Visually, it would work well on your Talon. Includes all brands that I have. The body is Titanium, it's got solar cells on its top, in case the 50K battery life (5 years...NOT 1) isn't enough, the cells will power the dot ! It's got a very solid quick disconnect mounting, it's got a kill flash on the front lens if you want that (removable). The dot is the cleanest of all of my different brands, even other Holosun sights, for some reason.
Yeah, it's a little more money than many, but to me...well worth it. You can check into the various YouTube videos, a couple of guys have beat the hell out of it with no internal damage !

Mike

Reactions: Stretch