• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A What " One gun " to buy

Basically I sold all my PCPs, I still have 2 physically in the house but they are sold, I will enjoy them until I have to ship them.

I've always wanted a quality Traditional gun but never had the drive to get one, I have a Gamo Hunter sport .177 that I like a lot and also have a Titan .177 that I also like.

Thinking eventually to get a quality gun, I'm leaning into the .22 cal and I definitely prefer Pistons rather then springs,

Diana used to make a few piston guns but I don't see them anymore, the HW90 and the Beeman counterpart have always intrigued me.

What shall I do ?

Reactions: Bandito and Frogy
Sounds like you have already got it dialed in.
If you want a high quality gas ram gun, the adjustable HW90, Beeman RX1 and RX2, are the best available without spending a lot more on a vintage Theoben. Some of the Hatsan's also have adjustable rams but I haven't had any experience with them, so I can't comment on those.

Reactions: Bandito
Is there a specific reason to not buy the HW? They are the same gun, from the same factory. Some trim details might be different, I guess.

FWIW, 'gasram' is the common name for the gas strut-powered spring guns. I think people might be thrown off by the 'Piston gun' in the OP, since every springer has a piston, but not every springer has a coilspring powerplant.

The Beeman RX1 and RX2 haven't been made in more than a few years now. Want one, you'll have to start surfing the auction sites or stick a WTB ad up here on the forum. Only rifles left still being made in the R series are the R7 and R9. Same with the Diana 350 N-Tec. No longer made but they pop up on the auction sites now and then. The ram in it is a sealed unit and not rebuildable so when it goes, you'd have to try finding one.

Higher end and ram is the HW90, Easier everything about getting it adjusted the way you want and easily rebuilt should the day come you need to. Any number of posts here on what's needed and how to do it.

The only drawback to the HW90 is the cocking effort. I want an all day shooter, not a fifty shots and my shoulder is sore shooter. Really hard to beat a 15 fpe or less springer. There is a reason they have been around for so long.
Well I get bored after 20 shots so I should be fine :LOL:.....also physical exercise does not bother me.

Is there a specific reason to not buy the HW? They are the same gun, from the same factory. Some trim details might be different, I guess.

FWIW, 'gasram' is the common name for the gas strut-powered spring guns. I think people might be thrown off by the 'Piston gun' in the OP, since every springer has a piston, but not every springer has a coilspring powerplant.
Yeah it was the looks, I liked better the Beeman in that regard, but seems like they arent made anylonger so the HW would have to do.

Basically I sold all my PCPs, I still have 2 physically in the house but they are sold, I will enjoy them until I have to ship them.

I've always wanted a quality Traditional gun but never had the drive to get one, I have a Gamo Hunter sport .177 that I like a lot and also have a Titan .177 that I also like.

Thinking eventually to get a quality gun, I'm leaning into the .22 cal and I definitely prefer Pistons rather then springs,

Diana used to make a few piston guns but I don't see them anymore, the HW90 and the Beeman counterpart have always intrigued me.

What shall I do ?
Hey - I'm sorry to hear that you had to sell your guns and I hope things change for the better.

I hear that. I really want an HW97K laminate blue as my one and done springer, but the price is up there for what it really is.
I really wanted a 97 laminate but I figured if I was going to pay an over the top price I might as well get an over the top gun.
I bought a walnut prosport refurbished for not much more.

You want a Beeman, there's an RX2 on Ebay and in .22. $20-$25 more than a new HW90 in .22 from AoA or PA, but you'd get the better looking Beeman you mentioned liking in an above post. Might well save a bit asking the seller how much without the scope if you don't want the included Hawke Airmax.

What shall I do ?
I love my HW90 in 22cal I have the gauge and a pump have pressure at 19 bar. There are several people on this forum that have the HW90 for the most part every one enjoys them. Note it is a heavy rifle . good luck

A R9/HW95 is a different beast, superb accuracy and enhanced shootability. But it still has twang.

I think you might be disappointed with the weight and hold sensitivity of the HW90.

Maybe one of the Diana gas piston rifles would serve you. I have considered one but my R9 always brings me back to my senses.

If I were you, looking for that high end high quality feel with the traditional style of a sporter, and a bucket list gun, I would look at a Daystate Huntsman Revere. You are already set-up for a PCP, why not? There is no added cost to get into the game, and AOA has them on sale for $1100. If I had not just drained my checking account on my new home, I would have one already.

It’s the perfect rifle for your purposes. High quality, traditional, no spring twang. Also a repeater, PCP powered, legendary accuracy.

It will eventually be my gateway back into PCP’s.

To me, gasrams bring a horde of troubles that make them not worth it. Still, I get that they have their fans, and they are not wrong. And if you have an itch for a quality gasram gun, a coilspring springer, or PCP doesn't scratch it. We've all been there. One of the biggest thrills in this hobby is thinking about, finding and testing out a new (to you) airgun platform.

My experience with a HW95L was miserable from the get go (and my experience with a HW80 isn't much better so far), so they aren't the solution for everyone, even narrowing the target audience to guys like me who want coilspring guns with wooden stocks and classic looks and handling.

As far as Manny's quest goes, budget and preferences to new vs. used are key questions. Those Theoben gasram magnum beauties are still to be had, depending on the two preceding questions.

I still find it extremely hard to wrap my head around spending over 300 bucks on a springer.
I thought the same way way back in the 1980’s. Back when the late Dr Beeman introduced the springer to America. I thought then that a springer shouldn’t cost what a good centerfire rifle does. I mean hello. Why should I pay the same for a high quality rifle that I shoot every day as opposed to one I shoot once a year? Lol.

Last edited: