What no Ataman love around this place? Well, here you go....

.22 Cal tuned down to 25 FPE as to increase shot count and lower muzzle flip and sound report.

Here is a true to life 30 yard pellet test. All five shot groups with one ten shot to the right.

Next up, ten shot groups on a different day. That smile group really made me smile. 

On average the AA 18.1 at 800 fps seem to do the best. I also have about 10 tins of my special JSB 18.1 that shoot great in the Colibri. These will give the AA a run for their money in this gun as well.

There are two things I love about this gun. The cocking lever with JSB/AA pellets is soooo smooth. An empty mag or a filled one is no difference in the side lever feel. The trigger is very nice, but only single stage. The feel of the blade is smooth and light and effortless.

The scope Vortex Diamondback 4-12-40 AO dead-hold BDC model DBK-412B 10 yard parallax with a lot of hash marks on the bell from 10 to 50 yards perfect for a close range light scope.

Reactions: Michael
NMshooter-
Just did a little test for you an hour ago.
filled gun to 250 bar.

250-210 1st 10 shot magazine
210-180 2nd
180-150 3rd
150-120 4th

Now filling the gun in a warm house, and putting it out a window with 30 degree weather probably dropped that first string's pressure down a little. 

The gun falls of the reg at 115 bar, so I could have gotten a few more shots on the fifth magazine.

In addition, the gun is touted as having a 300 bar fill. I imagine you could get another 10+ shots if you filled it in this manner. I think I put 300 bar in it once before when it was set at 30 FPE.

I store all my guns at 200 bar on their gauge so I can monitor for leaks across the herd. When at 30 FPE, I could only get ONE magazine shot off before I had to refill the gun. Now I can get two from 200 bar easily.

This is my one:

The Ultra compact special edition with upgraded wood, a longer barrel (13" instead of the 8" in the regular version), custom carbon fiber shroud (made by me) and Wild West shroud extension, additional power so it puts out 31fpe (vs 28fpe for the regular version). 

I highly recommend the WildWest shroud extension for this gun. It's much cheaper than most other LDCs ($80) and it's made to screw into the end cap. It's not the best quality craftsmanship. It has simple plastic baffles etc, but... it works very well and it's night and day compared to the factory shroud which isn't effective at all. The advantage of cheap plastic baffles is that it's super lightweight which is good because you don't want anything heavy on the end of a free float barrel to shift the poi. There is also no chance of anyone thinking it could be used on a firearm. It's backyard friendly even at 30fpe with the shroud extension and factory baffles removed.

I was using it to pop teeny tiny sparrows at 50 yards last week and I didn't miss a shot. You can't do that without a minimum level of accuracy. It was far more fun that it should be. There is no hunting skills required but plenty of shooting skills to work on. Sparrows don't say still for long.... getting the lightweight ultra compact on target quickly is easy and the flat underside helps eliminate cant issues.

I'm not sure if I love it yet (still deciding) but it is definitely growing on me. The things I like so far are:

- The action - the feel and sound of the side lever is the nicest I have felt on an air gun. It really feels nice
- The weight - easily the lightest gun that I own (lighter than a Mutant Shorty)
- The balance - even though it's light, it somehow manages to feel very stable when you want to shoot from a bench. It's actually quite easy to shoot well
- Comfort - not sure if it's just me but I find it very easy to obtain a comfortable hold with a good cheek weld and eye alignment with the scope
- Seems accurate once the factory baffle piece is removed (it's ineffective anyway so no loss). I haven't properly tested the accuracy fully yet. Just an initial impression but it needs time for the reg to settle. The longer barrel helps a lot though
- The trigger is decent once you adjust it to taste. Fans of defined two-stage triggers will be satisfied. I prefer a light single stage with zero travel but that's just my taste and I'm in a minority on this one.
- The length - it almost does the same job as a bullpup for people who prefer traditional (well tactical) rifles (when folded and shroud extension removed)
- The look. I like tactical-looking guns and while the folding stock has no real value for me, it looks very cool imo

The things I don't like are:
- Too loud out of the box. Plan on spending the extra $80 if you need backyard friendly
- The wood stock. It's a bad design. Anyone who makes things knows that thin wood with a 90 degree angle and long flat sides is a complete no no. You can snap it with your little finger. The design is fine for the plastic version though
- The grade of wood on the regular version is poor and people deserve better at that price. It's not even a big piece of wood so it would not be expensive to upgrade. The special edition looks noticeably better in person but still not great (the grain is straight, no figuring, visible filler etc)
- Overall careless machine work from the barrel to the stock. Hopefully PA will succeed is persuading them to take more care for future shipments
- The complete and comprehensive lack of customer support. There is not a single Ataman spare part in North America. Given how long it takes for Ataman to ship anything, if your Ataman breaks, it could be 6 months before you can receive a replacement part. This is a non-negotiable imo. Air Venturi needs to import a crate of spare parts with the next shipment. Air guns break and it's not acceptable for a $1500 gun (or any gun) to become a paper weight...
- No HST adjuster and this gun would really benefit from one because it does not arrive with everything optimal. A good tune makes this thing a very different gun and fixes a bunch of issues
- The magazines - they actually work very well but the price is just silly and they are noisy to operate which alerts squirrels to my murderous intent. All air guns should come with a 2 mag minimum. One is just rude. If you can't make auto indexing mags for less than $50 then just give us regular mags. Most people prefer that anyway. 
- The safety - let's just say I wouldn't rely on it....
- The breach block design. It's odly long and open for a compact carbine. This gun used to be a single shot bolt-action which they converted and it's obvious. In addition to adding unnecessary length, the open design increases mechanical noise. It's not a big deal - just something I would change if I had the opportunity 
- The size of the air tube. If any gun would benefit from a CF bottle instead of a tube, it's this one. If it was as efficient as the Shorty, it would be different but it's nowhere near

I have nearly finished making a custom stock for my one. I think this gun could be quite versatile when I have few different dress options...

Very nice wood Zebra. I have followed your journey with all three Compact carbines! MY hope of winning the contest, not you forced me to actually purchase this gun- marketing job DONE!

My backyard is 10 acres, so I like a quiet gun for me behind the trigger, but the neighbors will never complain. One time my one neighbor thought "I" was shooting, but it was my other neighbor with power burners. Sometimes FULL auto. I can't even believe anyone thought it was little old me.

To bring some clarity to this post, my Ataman was at about 28 FPE originally. 30 was not accurate. To adjust the hammer spring tension, I had to remove the foldable butt stock from the action. The screw is exposed to turn left to reduce or right to increase power. I have mine all the way left to get 25 FPE. Any less power and I have to degas the gun, take the tube off and turn the regulator down. I will stand pat for now.

"TrapdorSpydr"Very nice wood Zebra. I have followed your journey with all three Compact carbines! MY hope of winning the contest, not you forced me to actually purchase this gun- marketing job DONE!

My backyard is 10 acres, so I like a quiet gun for me behind the trigger, but the neighbors will never complain. One time my one neighbor thought "I" was shooting, but it was my other neighbor with power burners. Sometimes FULL auto. I can't even believe anyone thought it was little old me.

To bring some clarity to this post, my Ataman was at about 28 FPE originally. 30 was not accurate. To adjust the hammer spring tension, I had to remove the foldable butt stock from the action. The screw is exposed to turn left to reduce or right to increase power. I have mine all the way left to get 25 FPE. Any less power and I have to degas the gun, take the tube off and turn the regulator down. I will stand pat for now.

The extra power in the special edition comes from the longer barrel (I.e. not greater hst) and I think the extra length is needed to stop it jumping at 30fpe. 

I did a little experimenting out of curiosity when there was a debate here a while ago about the effect of barrel length on accuracy. I borrowed a barrel from a Mutant Standard to try on my Shorty and while my findings are flawed for a dozen different reasons, I became fairly convinced of the importance of using the right length of barrel for the amount of power.

Essentially, the Shorty and Standard were equally accurate if the appropriate power level was set for the barrel and when the target distance was not beyond what is reasonable for the power / pellet choice. 

If you are shooting at 30-40 yards, there should be little difference in accuracy between the standard edition at 25-28fpe and the special at 29-31fpe as long as the factory baffle piece is removed. 

When you push too much air through a short barrel, the turbulence, recoil and additional noise is very noticeable. I think it was smart for you to downtune a little. 

Avoiding disturbing your neighbors is the main reason for reducing noise but the other important one for me is not scaring away the game. If I spot 3 squirrels sitting in a tree, I can often take all three if I'm using a quiet air gun. With a loud one, it literally causes a mass evacuation of all small game in the area and kills the hunt for the rest of the day sometimes. You actually see a bunch of squirrels and chipmunks, that you didn't even know were there, legging it off in all directions to escape the loud noise....

There is also my hearing to think about. The Ultra compact made ears ring after a few shots before I got the shroud extension.