When Athlon scopes arrived on the scene they were the next, hottest thing. The Midas Tac line, especially offered way more glass than one could get- at that price- from any other manufacturer. Now, with all the price increases, the Midas Tac line is being priced out of the 'best bang for a dollar; even a Canadian dollar' region.

If you agree, can you tell me which scope/line can replace the Midas Tac; as I need a new scope?

Where should my next scope purchase be focused (pun intended), if not at another Midas Tac?

If you do not agree; why?

What makes the Midas Tac line still relevant, in light of the huge price increases?

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you feel any of these scopes are comparable to the Athlon Midas Tac line, at a significantly lesser price point?
If you're a "clicker", and don't mind SFP scopes, keep an eye out for a Sightron S-TAC 4-20x. I've bought two over the past year, and they are awesome with the MOA-2 reticle. Great glass, excellent turrets, very good reticle, light weight. I've seen them online for under $300. I bought mine from Camera Land in NY...
The glass on these scopes is as good as the Midas TAC, so if you're not hard over on FFP, take a look.
The 3-16x MOA-3 reticle version is currently on sale for $239.99. The 4-20x MOA-2 reticle version is currently about $400 but frequently is under $300.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...fe08-0139-5b78-00163ecd2826?variation=3072538

Last edited:
I just bought Arken and I am very pleased, both with price and performance. They only sell direct. I suppose not having dealers helps keep the prices down.

Reactions: Invincible Moose
If you're a "clicker", and don't mind SFP scopes, keep an eye out for a Sightron S-TAC 4-20x. I've bought two over the past year, and they are awesome with the MOA-2 reticle. Great glass, excellent turrets, very good reticle, light weight. I've seen them online for under $300. I bought mine from Camera Land in NY...
The glass on these scopes is as good as the Midas TAC, so if you're not hard over on FFP, take a look.
The 3-16x MOA-3 reticle version is currently on sale for $239.99. The 4-20x MOA-2 reticle version is currently about $400 but frequently is under $300.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...fe08-0139-5b78-00163ecd2826?variation=3072538
My buddy has the 4-20X Sightron MOA-2. GREAT scope! I wish the 3-16 Cameraland has on sale had the same reticle, much better for varmint work, inmo.

Speaking of 4-20 SFP, have you had any experience with the Meopta Optica5 4-20 Z-Plex? Seems like its in the same price range as the Sightron

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you feel any of these scopes are comparable to the Athlon Midas Tac line, at a significantly lesser price point?
I have not owned that model. I bought one Athlon a while back. It was pretty good but sold it because something else caught my eye and I sold it.
I seem to have an optics fetish. I love binoculars, rifle scopes, microscopes. Something about them fascinates me. I’ve owned many models of Leupolds, a couple models of Nightforce’s, Burris, Vortex, etc.
The nightforce was most likely the most expensive scope I’ve owned. Never owned any of the $3,000 and up scopes. I’m not a sniper, I don’t wear tactical pants to the range, I don’t pretend to be something I’m not. I generally work my air rifles 25-50 yards so “glass” doesn’t have to be the latest greatest with all the exotic coatings. My lenses don’t need to have perfect clarity edge to edge, I look through the middle third of it I’d say because that’s where my reticle is. I’m not “glassing” with my scope typically while hunting since I generally shoot well short of 50 yards and can see easily enough in that range and typically have my 8x or 10x binoculars if needed. I have a 3-12x 44 Vector Veyron for my Wildcat. 5x or 6x is plenty for squirrel hunting. Anything much more powerful can make finding the critter time consuming. I like the fact that it’s compact, like the Wildcat.
Randy

I had a 6-24 Midas tac, and a 4-16 Midas tac. I sold the 6-24 based on lack of need for a high mag scope. The 4-16 resides on my dreamline for now.
I recently went to a range day with a good friend who had a new Arken 4-16, and I was blown away at how clear the glass was and how much brighter the picture was compared to my Midas tac of same mag. I liked it so much, I bought one of my own. Cheaper than the Midas also, and similar “no frills” warranty. I would urge anyone that has been into athlon scopes to check out these.

I had a 6-24 Midas tac, and a 4-16 Midas tac. I sold the 6-24 based on lack of need for a high mag scope. The 4-16 resides on my dreamline for now.
I recently went to a range day with a good friend who had a new Arken 4-16, and I was blown away at how clear the glass was and how much brighter the picture was compared to my Midas tac of same mag. I liked it so much, I bought one of my own. Cheaper than the Midas also, and similar “no frills” warranty. I would urge anyone that has been into athlon scopes to check out these.
Do you do any close range shooting?, as in 10 to 15 yards? How is focusing at those yardages as I see they only parallax down to 25 yard’s? The scopes all look great and 34mm as well…

I have not owned that model. I bought one Athlon a while back. It was pretty good but sold it because something else caught my eye and I sold it.
I seem to have an optics fetish. I love binoculars, rifle scopes, microscopes. Something about them fascinates me. I’ve owned many models of Leupolds, a couple models of Nightforce’s, Burris, Vortex, etc.
The nightforce was most likely the most expensive scope I’ve owned. Never owned any of the $3,000 and up scopes. I’m not a sniper, I don’t wear tactical pants to the range, I don’t pretend to be something I’m not. I generally work my air rifles 25-50 yards so “glass” doesn’t have to be the latest greatest with all the exotic coatings. My lenses don’t need to have perfect clarity edge to edge, I look through the middle third of it I’d say because that’s where my reticle is. I’m not “glassing” with my scope typically while hunting since I generally shoot well short of 50 yards and can see easily enough in that range and typically have my 8x or 10x binoculars if needed. I have a 3-12x 44 Vector Veyron for my Wildcat. 5x or 6x is plenty for squirrel hunting. Anything much more powerful can make finding the critter time consuming. I like the fact that it’s compact, like the Wildcat.
Randy
Thank you, for taking the time to write this! Good information.

Reactions: Sanctify7