What makes a PCP consistent and accurate?

That my friend, takes years of practice, and a whole lot of shooting. 

I grew up in a sporting goods store, and I started shooting at a very young age. I learned fairly quickly that every gun needs a bit different hold too achieve the best accuracy. For example, I once owned an H&R in .22 Hornet that just didn't care how it was held, with 1 inch 100 yard groups being the norm. A really old 257 Roberts I bought used wouldn't shoot over bags, but did well off hand. If I knew why, I'd be rich! 

In the intervening 70 or so years, my ability to shoot offhand has diminished quite a bit, but I'd like to think am still rather good when using bags. Yet the differences are still there. Using my W.A.R. Cobra, shooting 25.4 grain AirArms at 875 fps, I can hold 3/4 inch groups at 70 yards over bean bags. But if I use the bipod and a rear bean bag at that distance, the groups open up by about 50%. 

One thing I do know. Far too many folks buy a gun (air or powder) because they heard or think it is a tack hole shooter. Once they get it, they're disappointed because it won't hold a group. If the truth be known (save for almost any nitro-piston gun), it is the shooter's fault, not the gun's. And let's not forget, some guns like a specific pellet if accuracy is the goal.

I pre-ordered a Umerex Gauntlet and it will be interesting to see how it compares to my spring guns (LGU, TX200 and HW97) all of which can put 5 pellets into a 3/4 inch circle, often touching each other, at 40 yards.

This is one cheap PCP, but it will be regulated. No chance it will have a high end barrel and there is a good chance the barrel it does have is going to be a crap shoot at best.

I will report back at the end of August when it is "supposed" to be here.

"Springrrrr"I pre-ordered a Umerex Gauntlet and it will be interesting to see how it compares to my spring guns (LGU, TX200 and HW97) all of which can put 5 pellets into a 3/4 inch circle, often touching each other, at 40 yards.

This is one cheap PCP, but it will be regulated. No chance it will have a high end barrel and there is a good chance the barrel it does have is going to be a crap shoot at best.

I will report back at the end of August when it is "supposed" to be here.
I hope that you are pleasantly surprised. That's a lot of airgun for the price. The initial reviews are good, but I don't trust the big-league guys. I think I know what kind of rifles they get [wink-wink]. So I'm wondering - Has Umarex changed the PCP game with the Gauntlet, or not? I guess we'll see.