What Machine will Cut 1/4 Steel Shapes?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what machine is used to cut small shapes out of hard 1/4 in steel. Like the pics below. Thanks -Nate

1593060955_30088425ef42e5b8bdf04.93703623.jpeg

Good question! I just started learning the other day and am still totally lost. The plasma cutter suggestion for your requirements seems interesting. I’ve been looking at a mill for making airgun parts. Between a mill and mini lathe I think I could crank out the stuff I’d need outside of barrels which would need a much larger and high quality lathe I imagine. 

My father uses a laser to make model rail road stuff for a living. Ships to hobby stores world wide. Just bought a laser one day and started doing it lol. 

As an ex custom shop owner/operator,
I'd have to say: 1: Water Jet. or 2: Plasma Cutter - for quick efficient production runs. 
Laser would be nice, but, I don't know of any shops w/ them or that would do small runs - and I'm in NY.

Using o/a torches is definitely another viable option, but, I'd say more for limited numbers.. 
Where water-jets produce the cleanest cuts.. 
Plasma will still require more clean-up from melting the metal
And Torch will create even more melted metal - needing to be cut off / ground / shaped / sanded..

Personally - I was more of a limited run custom shop, so, I'd use my plasma torch, 
then manually use an angle grinder or Foredom rotary tool to grind/shape/sand

MILD Steel is pretty decent to work with..
Hot Rolled is the most 'user friendly' 
Cold Rolled - is stronger and a bit more of a pain to work with.
AR [Abrasion Resistant] is super strong, and brutal to work with.

By *work with* - I mean using hand tools if/when needed
[due to the strength of the metals used]

1/4" isn't very thick - Until' it comes down to cutting / shaping / welding it.
Most 'consumer' tools aren't designed to work with metals that thick..

You could get away with using a drill, few bits, and a scroll-saw, 
but by the time you get done with them, you'll have to shave again. lol

I still have a mini plasma cutter [250 amp TIG welder w/ plasma torch add-on]
It was okay for like 1/8" but would be a pain when doing upwards of 1/4" 
Also, they require a pretty good compressor w/ high/steady CFM airflow 

Sam -

It depends if you want to do it yourself or outsource the work to someone else. The cheapest way in order of outsourcing would be cnc plasma, waterjet then laser. 

If you like to make things, then oxy/acetylene, hand held plasma or cnc plasma table in order of cheapest to most expensive. You can make amazing stuff with a torch by hand, it depends on your skill level. 

With a cnc plasma you can get amazing edge quality with little clean up, but the edge will always have a slight bevel to it. 

Example: here or pics of some 3/16 mild steel straight off a cnc plasma table. A quick scrape with a wide chisel by hand usually knocks off the slag on the back side. Personally 1/4" and 1/2 cuts even better. 
1593208906_4951712815ef6704abc65c1.43784510.jpg
1593208960_15808882175ef67080237016.51665785.jpg

That type of cutting is made for a laser. You get a nice clean edge that doesn't require clean-up after. Google the fabrication shops in your area. Laser cutting is very popular and cost effective. I do machine design and a lot of the fabrication components i design have laser cutting considered into the design. Some places laser cut thicknesses up to 3/4" or 1". I know of at least 4 shops in my area that do custom laser cutting. These guys dont care the size of the job. They will just nest your components with another job using the same material and thickness. Larger the run the better the price though.

I’ve used a website: sendcutsend.com For exactly this. I’ve sent them an adobe illustrator file, and about 4 days later I received perfectly cut parts. You can choose nearly any metal you can imagine in a variety of thicknesses. I believe all their work is laser cut. It’s amazing. Cut to a thousandth of an inch precision. Check them out. You need a simple .ai file made? Feel free to hit me up (I’ve been working illustrator for the better part of 25 years). Good luck!