What Low FPE Gun Should I look At?

I am looking for a low FPE gun incan use for 35 yards and under in a backyard and in barns for pesting. For those instances I do get a past through on small pests and birds I don't want it blowing holes through stuff. Should I be looking at a .22 or a .177? Price range best bang for buck a friend reccomended the pp750 and I like the price range but would like to know what my options are. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

How big are the birds? First of all for your requirement I say 177 without a doubt unless you have to take down bigger pests. 

I use my 1701P for house sparrows and easily take them down out to 35 yards. With crosman 7.4 grain pointed pellets @450 FPS I still get pass through at 35 yards but the pellets wont do any damage after. I have since switch to lead free 5.7 grain H&N pellets @500fps which works a little better because of the slightly higher speed and because the pellets are so light Which will loses energy quicker down range I don’t get pass through at 34 yards anymore but still get pass through at under 20 but won’t do any damage after. however it much better chance of no pass through at 20 yards and closer with a good center mass shot. I’ve done tests and even at 20 yards the lead free pellets will still fully burry it self into pine boards @500fps. 

I have my 1720 and Dreamline tuned at 650FPS with 7.4 grain pointed pellets and have taken multiple squirrels out to 45 yards, head shot only obviously since they are tough critters. 

for little birds like sparrow and starlings inside of the barn the ultra low power 1701p is exceptional! I haven’t shot pigeons but Odoyle said 3 FPE will drop them dead at under 20 yards but I still wouldn’t do wing shots though. Also the 1701p is absolutely laser beam too thanks to single shot and LW barrels. 

if you want multishot the Dreamline compact is my first choices then air arm s200 FT with multi shot conversion would be my second choice, then bsa ultra se probably would tie for second place with AA. All of them are freaking laser beams. Gamo coyote can be turned down with multi shot and around 400 dollars if budget is a concern. If you want to go even lower in budget the PP700 in 177 is a gem! Tune it down and just a laser beam even with crappy looking factory barrel. PP750 isn’t bad but I prefer the PP700 by a long shot. 

Not the same price range but I’m using my leshy in .177 at 6 ftlb for shooting mice that have taken over my garage. I can shoot pretty well out to 50 yds but the wind sucks. The talon p with a .22 barrel and the ring loc port reducers work well was able to get the 25 kings at 400fps 

i have an hw30 that’s pretty hard to beat for the price vs quality and would do pretty good job in low power environments 

I have absolutely hands down the most kills using an old FWB300s out to 55 yards shooting right under 7fpe. Has an old Bushnell 4-12x AO scope with stadia BDC reticle.

An unmodified Crosman 1701P with carbine stock and scope world do too out to probably 35 yards may be 40 yards.

So will a Crosman co2 2300S with Lothar Walther barrel same set up as above. 

G2G with TKO or Airgununiverse LDC super quiet.

Experienced way more deadder than dead shooting low power compared to high power pass throughs.

There are a handful of people who have shot at tin at low power levels & in each case the larger calibers have been less likely to pass through at any given power level. In one case 177 was passing through, 22 was denting and/or cracking the tin & 25 was just denting.

Unfortunately I don't recall what power level was used for that experiment. 

One of these days I'll try this myself. But based on what I've read I'd go with 22 over 177, assuming power levels were more or less the same with both calibers. I would probably also try wadcutters inside of 35 yards.

This conversation's about to burn a hole in my wallet... :) kept thinking what a perfect gun that 'bsa ultra se' is (.177) for such a low-power/barn/fun need... under grand; light/compact; and can tune the power up somewhat if you need tad bit more power.

As much as I love the BSA ultra I would wait to get the new BSA CLX, redesigned with fewer parts but same awesome form factor.

An unmodified Crosman 1701P with carbine stock and scope world do too out to probably 35 yards may be 40 yards.

100% agree, I wouldn’t shoot my 1701 at such low power pass 40 yards mostly because of the wind, but in my 34 yard backyard it’s a wrecking ball on those house sparrows...explosions of feather wrecking ball without the super loud pop. Something about pesting with low power gun is sooooo much more satisfying compared to my higher powered guns. I just get a kick out of pesting with the 1720 @3 FPE. My 7 FPE guns are reserved for crows and squirrels, also superbly satisfying compared to when I use to shoot squirrels with my .25 impact, that simply felt like execution.😂😂😂

Buy qball's new Crosman Challenger only 2000psi fill quiet enough no LDC needed 50+ shots very accurate Lothar Walther match grade barrel no regulator to fail very nice trigger excellent balance with an unbeatable 5 year warranty.

Nothing is safe out to 45 yards as-is and back the power down if you need to. It's a 10 meter dedicated target grade competition match gun with a good entry level price tag.

Buy qball's new Crosman Challenger only 2000psi fill quiet enough no LDC needed 50+ shots very accurate Lothar Walther match grade barrel no regulator to fail very nice trigger excellent balance with an unbeatable 5 year warranty.

Nothing is safe out to 45 yards as-is and back the power down if you need to. It's a 10 meter dedicated target grade competition match gun with a good entry level price tag.

doh, I forgot about that gun. Maybe I’ll put it on classified soon, thanks for reminding me. 

799166E8-369D-45FE-A7DA-428647AA9ECE.1616381078.jpeg

mid anyone need a brand new challenger PM me. 😊