• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Low FPE Gun Should I look At?

A full "12fpe" is too much for a tin roof with a complete miss and sometimes with a pass through. 600fps/less. Like the R-7/hw30 idea but if short/pistol like the suggested 1701P a lot. Bagged on a bench excellent 50 yard groups (not sure I'd shoot critter's at 460fps ?), easy to bump power a bit if you like. CAN be used as a pistol and outstanding with the carbine stock. Close quarters , 1701P.

35 might be pushing it just slightly but might be fine in your rig but DO try wad cutters. Total energy transfer & no pass through.

John

crosman1701p.1616389311.jpg

Matt, my vote goes to a PRod. Very fun pistol, easy and fun to work on, parts always readily available thru Crosman, really lightweight and can be adjusted down to the safe speeds you need, or one day ramped up to around 800 FPS + in 22 cal. There’s a seller on eBay that can make it a side cocking gun, also, if you want to go that route.

I am leaning towards the p-rod or the pp750 the price isn't going to kill me, the p-rod im sure has a larger following, mods and like you said parts, any chance you know the seller on ebay or a link. 

I really like to recommend guns that like cheap ammo that can be bought anytime at Wal-Mart like the "7.4gr" Crosman pointed. 1701P 2300S 1720T Challenger FWB300s likes them. Don't buy the 7.9gr Premier Super points they really suck.

The 7.4gr Crosman pointed were on sale around $2.00 a tin of 250 last year from the heads up thread I posted back then Was that from Achademy or Gander-?.

Daisy M853 .177 (used) from Civilian Marksmanship Program

$120 includes shipping

Will drop sparrow, starling and pigeon in a barn environment. Compliment with a Bug Buster 3-9x scope

I got one a few weeks back and can't set it down, very accurate, and I re-worked the trigger with polishing only. Fantastic deal and shooting about 430fps, enough.

$120 includes shipping

Will drop sparrow, starling and pigeon in a barn environment. Compliment with a Bug Buster 3-9x scope

I got one a few weeks back and can't set it down, very accurate, and I re-worked the trigger with polishing only. Fantastic deal and shooting about 430fps, enough.

☝This would do too-!☝

$120 includes shipping

261d.svg
This would do too-!
261d.svg

It's a dirt cheap way out!

I bought my first PCP last year, a Benjamin Marauder Pistol (Prod). I've killed 12 squirrels in my backyard so far with it. The stock tune worked fine for head shots and would minimize pass through but I did not like the effect when my shot went a little off and hit the chest or neck instead. So I re-tuned it to 17-18 fpe and the last six have dropped near immediately - no more running off. It will shoot through on a broadside shot but not if the pellet goes diagonally through the squirrel. I get about 20 good shots with a 2800 psi fill at this tune. The stock tune would give you more shots but needs a precise hit to the brain to drop the squirrel on the spot in my experience. Stock tune is around 600 fps with a 14.3 grain pellet, my current tune is over 700 fps. Max is about 19 fpe but you won't get many shots. Stock tune you don't want to fill past 2500 psi (it will reduce muzzle velocity until the pressure drops).

A big advantage to the Prod is weight. Mine is 5 lbs with a Hawke 2-7 Vantage scope. It also has a nice light trigger. It's adjustable but I didn't need to. The stock it comes with isn't great. I made my own from a piece of 7/8 OD aluminum tube with a 5/16 fine thread bolt in one end and a 1/4 coarse thread nut in the other for a butt plate.