• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What kind of solvent should be used to clean a air rifle?

You need to be extremely careful with what you use on air guns and I definitely wouldn’t use WD-40. Air guns are much different than firearms, they have o-rings to seal and prevent leaks and many products made for firearms will destroy your them. Many use Ballistol as it’s safe to use on air guns. I myself like FrogLube and that is safe as well. If you want to consider another product, make sure it’s safe to use on rubber before applying.

Balistol for general barrel cleaning and Kroil for heavy cleaning and for guns that have the O rings on the probe. I don't know if Kroil will harm O rings so I always put cleaning pellets in the breach if the gun has a breach O ring. I also turn the gun upside down to keep it out of the TP. Balistol smells like a$$.

Use whatever you like to clean the barrel. The only "seal" is a possible oring for a breech seal. They are basic Buna-N orings, and are resistant to most chemicals, as is every other oring in the gun. Only other type of oring is Urethane and they are just as resistant if not more so. 

WD-40 is fine and won't hurt a thing. 

The BS that's been circulating for years about "damaged seals" is just that. It's BS that's been recirculated over and over by people that heard it somewhere else and don't know any better. 

Kroil is good and will loosen lead deposits, but is also hard to get out completely. It wicks into everywhere and just a little goes a looonnng way. 

Are you just doing a general cleaning or de leading?

General cleaning is just a wipe down and mineral oil for a finish. Same as all my guns. It might be wise to keep any oil out of the barrel of an air rifle. Many use paste wax, and I R 1. It isn't needed often, and takes a shoot in to get things settled. Otherwise a dry patch.

Stripping a leaded barrel is a different story, and I can't help with that.

I thought silicone was the lube of choice for air rifle O Rings. Did I missunderead?

I may be completely off on all this, but it works for me. Of course there can always be a better way to be learned.