• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is your standard for accuracy?

I dont actually have a standard for what I consider accurate , I think its more on a rifle to rifle basis, what is this rifle used for, what is acceptable , etc .... what do you consider accurate? For my hunting rifles its first shot accuracy, for my plinkers its a whole mag in a dime at 50 yards... 100 yards id love every group to be MOA but realistically for me and my current level of shooting something close to MOA is accurate.

People have asked me about how certain rifles of mine are performing... and Ive noticed a lot of people lately are EXPERT SNIPERS ... with their mouths, not their airguns.

I recently got "Wow, so the accuracy really isn't there" in regards to shooting 1.25" - 1.5" 20 (YES TWENTY) shot groups at 100 with slugs, fired from an airgun I had less than an hour behind off a poop table lol.... excuse me? I don't normally get bugged by this sort of thing but when looking through posts from the people saying things like this only to find they are sub 50 yard shooters and base everything off 30 yard groups I just have to laugh.

Watching too much youtube? lol

Last edited:
I'd be ecstatic if any of my guns were sub-1/2" at 50 yards. The fun is getting them to shoot as well as possible with the budget and materials on hand. 1/4" at ten yards is acceptable, but better is always welcome.

Anything found online (video or post-wise) is taken with a grain of salt.

J~

I base it in how easy it to shoot those tight groups. Some are just more forgiving than others. If i pick up a gun i know is sighted in and can quickly shoot 2MOA at 100, i am good with that, but at the same time when I am in business mode i want .5MOA(in calm conditions) for whatever range the power is useful for.

Now that I have moved on from break barrel and into a high end PCP, my expectations have risen and it's minute of angle that I strive for. If I don't achieve that at 50 yards, 100 yards, or even out to 200 yards then I feel more work is needed. If I do reach that level then I am as pleased as punch and happy for days. How I would love to have a 200 yard tunnel for testing in a zero wind environment!

From my pesting and small game hunting background I've always considered that the (typical) one-inch kill-zone was my reference/definition of "accurate".

I rate the hardware (gun, optics, projectile) as to how far it will group 10 shots in a one-inch circle. I rate my maximum effective range in the same way.

How I would love to have a 200 yard tunnel for testing in a zero wind environment!

This is an interesting statement, I too would love a zero wind environment at times , I think these times are mostly when I am frustrated with myself for not shooting at my best and I would like to blame something and I can clearly tell when that is. Then I start to think, how unpractical that is, its a big confliction for me.

Am i wrong in saying when you talk how bout that picture to back it up ? It only seems right., Right?

Then the 1000$+ pcp with the big scopes and fancy slugs/ pellets @ 25y .. that sometims a $200 springer does as good or better ? .. lol. Not to say im a sniper or expert marksman or looking to be/ sound snobbish.

I don't know , i sometimes feel this shoud do this as a expectation and that should be doing a whole lot more for the investment .. then maybe im a stuckup selfish shooter ..?

"EXPERT SNIPERS ... with their mouths, not their airguns."

Having owned and tested ONLY somewhere between 700 and 1,000 airguns over the last half-century, I'm certainly no expert.

I like to quantify and document my accuracy parameters, which are (virtually always) based on the AVERAGE of at least 3 or 5 CONSECUTIVE five-shot groups measured center-to-center; including whatever fliers or less than impressive group(s) posted during that protocol. I'm occasionally guilty of posting impressive single groups; but do so more for eye-candy entertainment value, rather than creating any BS illusion about actual accuracy capabilities.

So FWIW (from a newbie perspective), my (AVERAGE) accuracy standards to consider a gun a keeper go something like this-

PCP rifles at 50 yards, 1/2" to 3/4" c-t-c average.
PCP rifles of 30+ foot pounds at 100 yards, 1" to 1.5" c-t-c average.
PCP pistols of -12 foot pounds at 35 yards (the AAFTA Pistol FT maximum distance), 3/4" c-t-c or less average.
PCP pistols of 10+ foot pounds at 50 yards, 1/2" to 1" c-t-c average.
Spring, Co2 or multi-pump rifle at 50 yards, 1" c-t-c or less average.
Spring-piston pistol at 25 yards, the broad side of a barn or less average.

Be aware all these parameters are based on pellets, as I'm only now starting to explore airgun slugs.

By the way, "Opinions are like ***-holes, in that every ***-hole has one".

I would add, it's not hard for the astute observer to spot a bull-****er.

Happy Shooting, Y'all!

RR card copy.jpg

The most impressive accuracy results I've ever achieved with a pellet gun (happened to be a $500 Chinese-made PCP)-

AEA .81 at 100.jpg

I am a plinker and a stone cold can killer. One or two inch groups off of a deck rail in the wind is my goal. I shoot to have fun at spinners and kill cans. Dime sized spinners in the wind with a 14 fpe springer can become undoable over 12 mph wind gusts.

To be a serious bench shooter it all starts with a very solid bench and goes up from there. Heavy and big bags for the rifle are needed. When I shoot from the bench at my club I can get one inch groups at 100 yards if the wind cooperates. Early mornings are best. MOA at a 100 yards is realistic if mother nature cooperates.

"EXPERT SNIPERS ... with their mouths, not their airguns."

Having owned and tested ONLY somewhere between 700 and 1,000 airguns over the last half-century, I'm certainly no expert.

I like to quantify and document my accuracy parameters, which are (virtually always) based on the AVERAGE of at least 3 or 5 CONSECUTIVE five-shot groups measured center-to-center; including whatever fliers or less than impressive group(s) posted during that protocol. I'm occasionally guilty of posting impressive single groups; but do so more for eye-candy entertainment value, rather than creating any BS illusion about actual accuracy capabilities.

You know, this is going to be my new thing, thanks for that.... if I post something related to accuracy and shot groups, there will be multiple groups shown, I too am guilty of posting the cherry picked special, I think people should do that, they are something to be proud of but when shooting couldn't you consider doing another group similar the same as duplicating the shots within that first group?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I agree with you on 1st shot accuracy as 99% of my shooting is for hunting purposes. 5 years ago my "dream" was to be able make a 75 yard kill shot. My horizons have broadened considerably since then. The evolution of our airguns in that time have been amazing. I too am not impressed when I read about "great groups" at 20 or 30 yards because my criteria demands ethical kills @, at least, 50 yards & beyond. If I had to give a "bottom line" I'd say dime size groups at 50, quarter size at 75 & half-dollar at 100 would be the bare acceptable minimum. Whether I'M on my game at any given time is another story but I know my GUNS always are.

EDIT: I'm not demeaning 20 & 30 yard groups (and their shooters). I just meant that, for MY purposes, I require more.

Last edited:
I agree with you on 1st shot accuracy as 99% of my shooting is for hunting purposes. 5 years ago my "dream" was to be able make a 75 yard kill shot. My horizons have broadened considerably since then. The evolution of our airguns in that time have been amazing. I too am not impressed when I read about "great groups" at 20 or 30 yards because my criteria demands ethical kills @, at least, 50 yards & beyond. If I had to give a "bottom line" I'd say dime size groups at 50, quarter size at 75 & half-dollar at 100 would be the bare minimum. Whether I'M on my game at any given time is another story but I know my GUNS always are.
Ya, but dime size using what? Gamo springer on stock irons using tin cphp or $500$+ pcp with ,ect?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
My situation is different than most. I seldom get to shoot past 10m. I do get out in the yard for a few @25, but generally not more than sight in.

Most of my shooting is indoors @10m, off hand open sights or scoped from a table.
For scoped shooting I use the 30 yard targets with the 24 small bulls.

Instead of shooting groups I try to hit the dots. If I can’t hit the dots and threaten a score of 200, there is more work to do.
If I can’t hit the dots at 10, I am sure not going to hit anything @50. So it’s about working on my shoot technique. This is a big deal with my springers. My HW95 has been a long hard road, but it has started to pay off. I whacked a chippy with a head shot @46 yards last year. I was very happy.

Before I go out in the world, I will sight the guns I am taking with me to the arch of the trajectory. Then it’s learning my hold overs.

I will go through a long period of blaming me for accuracy issues. But I have also learned that the barrel is the next thing to look at.
As an example, I have two prods that seem to shoot ok. But pistols pretending to be rifles are harder for me to shoot as a rifle, fine. But when I put that pistol into a stock and see limited improvement, I start thinking it’s not as much me.
One of these prods now sports a Walther barrel. That was a drastic improvement with a lot of punched dots.

My AA full sized rifle doesn’t miss dots.

When not punching dots I am pesting.
First shot accuracy is paramount for both.

Thats just their ego talking. Theres very few sports or fields that people just assume they are experts in automatically and from my experience its things tied, at least in their monkey brains, to survival.

Very few people watching a chess game - who have never played chess, assume that they would do better than the chess master on tv.

But, make the professional on tv, a soldier, or a cage fighter, or a marksman, and suddenly "you dont know me bro, i transform into a monster when i need to, honestly its scary even for myself"

It really doesnt even matter who they are, they could be a 60 year old grandmother with osteoporosis. They think that if push comes to shove theyd dismantle an attacker with sudden kung fu thats been laying dormant because they are the "chosen one". Shooting is no different. For some reason, people remember the best groups theyve ever shot and assume thats how they always shoot and forget how they shoot on average.

Which in a way is good, because it encourages them to continue shooting. But can be annoying to talk to when everyone you speak to is always "the master"

The part that makes it the worst is if people like this try to prove their skill to you and they are unsuccessful they normally don't have the humility for self reflection and just hate you for the rest of your life. Like its somehow your fault that they werent as good as they thought they were.

That being said, there are also a ton of people shooting sub moa at 100 yards. If someone says they can i generally just accept that there's a good chance that they do, its impressive but nowhere near impossible.

I guess its better to be forgiving, alot of us think or act the same way or have in the past and arent aware of it. And when you realize its really a form of self comforting for them its understandable. They want to live in a world where they are exceptionally skilled at something and are trying to reassure their insecurities.

Also tho, they might be telling the truth and it's only triggering you because you yourself are insecure, its a weird mirror to look in.

Anything moa or smaller at 100 to me is perfect. If it groups slightly larger its doable but for hunting you have to be aware of it so you dont have animals dying horribly from infection in the woods

I’ll bite,
I think there’s a lot of “keyboard airgunners” here that watch too much YouTube, and don’t have the experience to know what to expect out of an airgun. They’ve seen guys like Rick reim shoot cards in half at 100yds backwards in a mirror and think anyone could do the same. They forget that shots are cherry picked for videos, and the tuning and time shooting these personalities have outweighs what almost ALL of us do with our own guns.

I’m Also of the belief that my personal accuracy is judged by first shot accuracy. This doesn’t mean sub moa at 100yd accuracy. Mine is minute of squirrel at sub 50yd accuracy from first shot. If a gun doesn’t do this for me, it goes. Does it mean that gun isn’t capable of accurate groups? Absolutely not. In fact, I’ve sold all 3 of my impacts for not having “first shot accuracy” and impacts are know as some of the most accurate pcp’s on the market. My accuracy is more about consistency than anything. If I can comfortable hunt with it without missing a shot due to poi changes or speed discrepancies, then I’m happy.

Truthfully I want my airguns to be able to outshoot me, most can, and the ones that can't are junk.
PCP =about a hole in a hole at 30 yds.; springers 3/8" at that distance; they can do it, me not so much.:(
Agree 100%. I have good days and bad days. The guns shoot the same either way…….I don’t!!