• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is your preference? 

First Focal Plane or Second. I always use SFP myself. I like the thought of the holdovers being correct no matter what power you are on., that would be great for hunting. But I can’t see the reticle on low power. But maybe young eyes can. Target shooting I would rather dial so I can use the crosshairs. Any way I wonder how many prefer a first focal plane? They do seem to be more popular now days. Oh one other question. Do many use a FFP in field target?

thanks

I can't really give you a preference yet, as I've just started using a FFP scope recently, it's all new to me.

With my examples, (A Hawke and a Crimson Trace) it is clear that as you say, at lower magnifications the reticle appears almost unsuitably small. But I suspect I will get used to it.

I have also seen images of marketing material where other FFP scopes have overall larger reticle etchings so they appear more useful at lower mags, and then get so big at higher magnification that the reticle gets "cropped" off at the edges. Even with my examples, the Hawke is more usable at it's lowest 4X setting than the Crimson Trace is. So I think it's about the individual scope design. For now I remain more comfortable with 2nd FP,. but as you say, the advantages of FFP sure sound appealing for really fine shooting in a changing environment.

Young eyes here and having gone FFP I can't go back. It's odd getting behind a SFP scope anymore. For awhile I was SFP then went to fixed power scopes like SWFA 10x and 12x and Discovery HD 10x. From there went FFP. Works too nice for me anymore. I holdover and click depending on the situation so it's nice not needing to think about different holds at different magnification.

Oh one other question. Do many use a FFP in field target?

thanks

I'm sure they are some guys using FFP in FT but in FT doesn't matter.

Open class boys click and usually are on max magnification and Hunter boys can't touch their magnification so like you see FFP vs SFP doesn't matter.

B

When shooting standing in Hunter I usually turn the magnification down to about 10. Some days I can shoot 16 standing but usually not. So a FFP marking would be nice there. 

I am not satisfied with any scope I have on air rifles. Every time I try shooting precision I get frustrated with something about each scope. I am a cheepo! I almost bought a Nightforce NX8 FFP on a spur of the moment down at sportsman warehouse the other day. But I realized I can not come to a conclusion holding a scope in my hands at a store. 

I truly believe once you switch from SFP to FFP you’ll never go back, especially if you use holdovers. I shoot NRL22/PRS22 style matches and targets are anywhere from 30yd to 400yds. I’m probably shoot 60% of stages with holdovers and dial the rest. With FFP scopes it never matters what power the scope is on, all the mil or moa hash marks will always been the same. Just my two cents. 

Short range hunting, up to 60 yards-SFP. Long distance target shooting-FFP. At long distance, you will have the mag turned up, so the small reticle is usually manageable. For short distance hunting, set the scope to where the holdovers are consistent, and hold off. In most small game hunting situations, there is not time for all that clicking/calculating stuff. 

You have to choose your compromises since there's no perfect scope for all situations. You can make most scopes work for most situations but there are more ideal choices per task presented.

The best crossover scope that I've come across is Athlons Helos G2 2-12x42 FFP scope. It doesn't make a great/ideal BR type target specific scope but it'll sure do a lot of things well enough on a airgun! Though if you consider that the size of the center dot is approximately the capable precision of what most AG's are capable of it becomes very appealing. 

For hunting it'd be awesome!

General shooting on steel, and goofing around plinking, it's a great choicel.

BR isn't so much it's thing, however if I had a rifle that shot 3/4" at 50Y which is very common for many AG's it's not a bad choice since the dot is 1/2"-ish at 50Y. It's as perfect a choice as can be on my Steyr ProX semiauto, that's for sure!

I use FFP 95% of the time mounted up on quite a few rifles, these hardly ever get dialed below 10x. SFP for a few rifles for specific purposes but I'm hopefully going to put a 2-12 Helos on one of them too.

Part of the fun of all this stuff is the experimenting and self discovery of what you prefer!

FFP for me gives me the option of holdovers or dialing, which I've come to love. As for the reticle being visible at low magnification? Depends on the reticle. Yesterday I took two rats inside a barn at 25 yards, scope set at 6x, illuminated reticle, no problem seeing the reticle and I have 60 year old eyes... An illuminated reticle goes a long way to help see the reticle at lower magnification in low light...

FFP for me. I wanna know my holdovers are accurate and I also like to spin the magnification a lot. If at low magnification, I can still see the crosshair just fine, but not the holdovers so well, but at low magnification I am usually only shooting 25 yards or less so only need to see the crosshair to begin with. The crosshair is also lighted, so great for closeup night shooting to see the crosshair (Element Titan).

You have to choose your compromises since there's no perfect scope for all situations. You can make most scopes work for most situations but there are more ideal choices per task presented.

The best crossover scope that I've come across is Athlons Helos G2 2-12x42 FFP scope. It doesn't make a great/ideal BR type target specific scope but it'll sure do a lot of things well enough on a airgun! Though if you consider that the size of the center dot is approximately the capable precision of what most AG's are capable of it becomes very appealing. 

BR isn't so much it's thing, however if I had a rifle that shot 3/4" at 50Y which is very common for many AG's it's not a bad choice since the dot is 1/2"-ish at 50Y. It's as perfect a choice as can be on my Steyr ProX semiauto, that's for sure!

I use FFP 95% of the time mounted up on quite a few rifles, these hardly ever get dialed below 10x. SFP for a few rifles for specific purposes but I'm hopefully going to put a 2-12 Helos on one of them too.

Part of the fun of all this stuff is the experimenting and self discovery of what you prefer!

Excellent observations Steve.

I like Jack-of-all-Trades and Janet-Flexibility type of equipment.

So, I usually go for FFP. Because I can dial the turrets of course, AND I also can holdoff at ANY magnification, which is the kind of flexibility that I require. Why have a variable magnification scope if I must dial it to 10x or some other power that the scope manufacturer thought I would want?

Of course, the FFP reticle at low magnification gets very hard to see, so my the reticle must have thick outside posts -- these guide the eyes toward the crosshair intersection, even in front of a busy background. The other feature that helps with this problem is an illuminated reticle.

Also significant is that holdovers at low magnifications are usually not necessary... -- because (except for extremely low powered guns) all guns have a long enough point blank range so that holdovers won't be necessary at close ranges where low magnifications are necessay. Once holdovers become necessary I'd have to dial my magnification to a higher value anyhow -- at which the reticle hashmarks become large enough to be usable for holdovers.

❗ The thinking explained in that last paragraph has led me get soft on my formerly strict FFP requirement. 😉 I explain (pretty similar reasoning...):

Holdovers at low magnifications are usually not necessary... -- because (except for extremely low powered guns) all guns have a long enough point blank range so that holdovers won't be necessary at close ranges where low magnifications are necessay. Once holdovers become necessary I'd have to dial my magnification to a higher value anyhow -- and if I dial it to the calibrated magnification (often 10x, sometimes 16x or 20x), then the rectile becomes usable for holdovers without the messiness of calculations or looking at an adjusted reticle diagram on Strelok. 

But... -- if the calibration is not at the scope's maximum magnification then I have to be careful as I adjust the magnification, not really something I have time for when hunting.

And this is where I'm a bit frustrated with scope manufacturers -- why almost all of them calibrate their reticles at less than maximum magnification, often as low as 10x even on a 6-24x scope (at least the ones in my Scope Specs Tables).

Matthias

I like Jack-of-all-Trades and Janet-Flexibility type of equipment.

So, I usually go for FFP. Because I can dial the turrets of course, AND I also can holdoff at ANY magnification, which is the kind of flexibility that I require. Why have a variable magnification scope if I must dial it to 10x or some other power that the scope manufacturer thought I would want?

Of course, the FFP reticle at low magnification gets very hard to see, so my the reticle must have thick outside posts -- these guide the eyes toward the crosshair intersection, even in front of a busy background. The other feature that helps with this problem is an illuminated reticle.

Also significant is that holdovers at low magnifications are usually not necessary... -- because (except for extremely low powered guns) all guns have a long enough point blank range so that holdovers won't be necessary at close ranges where low magnifications are necessay. Once holdovers become necessary I'd have to dial my magnification to a higher value anyhow -- at which the reticle hashmarks become large enough to be usable for holdovers.

2757.svg
The thinking explained in that last paragraph has led me get soft on my formerly strict FFP requirement.
1f609.svg
I explain (pretty similar reasoning...):

Holdovers at low magnifications are usually not necessary... -- because (except for extremely low powered guns) all guns have a long enough point blank range so that holdovers won't be necessary at close ranges where low magnifications are necessay. Once holdovers become necessary I'd have to dial my magnification to a higher value anyhow -- and if I dial it to the calibrated magnification (often 10x, sometimes 16x or 20x), then the rectile becomes usable for holdovers without the messiness of calculations or looking at an adjusted reticle diagram on Strelok. 

But... -- if the calibration is not at the scope's maximum magnification then I have to be careful as I adjust the magnification, not really something I have time for when hunting.

And this is where I'm a bit frustrated with scope manufacturers -- why almost all of them calibrate their reticles at less than maximum magnification, often as low as 10x even on a 6-24x scope (at least the ones in my Scope Specs Tables).

Matthias

HI Mattthias,

One reason Athlon calibrated some of their SFP scopes on 15x was to appease the PRS shooters because 15x was commonly used to have a wide enough FOV to locate targets quickly in different locations strewn throughout the COF, yet provide ample magnification. 

I almost bought a March 1.5-15×42 until I found out it was calibrated at 10x which I don't prefer. Yes 15x would have done the trick. 

I can see why some would like SFP scopes calibrated on max like 24x but that goes back to the - pick your compromises as well, in this case sacrificing FOV.

Excellent observations Steve.

Thanks