What is your most 'precise' airgun?

I believe most people don't know that there is a difference between accuracy and precision. I learned this form a teacher during high school physics and it's something my geeky engineering brains thinks on a lot. What's an accurate airgun? What's a precise airgun?

Well, accuracy is how close you can get to your target and precision is how many time your can hit the same spot. 

So maybe for hunting an accurate first shot rifle is important. But, for target shooting a precise gun is one with repeatable accuracy within a very small tolerance. 

So what do you own that is precise over a 5 shot group, a 10 shot group, even a 15 shot group?

For me, I have two, and neither is particularly powerful. First is a Cricket Carbine Mini .22. At 12 yards (indoor range) it will put all 14 shots in a magazine of H&N 18gr @ ~26 fpe into the same tiny little hole as long as I am able too. Second is my Uragan Compact in .177. It will put a 15 round magazine of JSB 10.34 @ 15-18 fpe pellets into a single hole as well at 12 yards. Each of these guns has proven to be able to do under .50" groups at 46-50 yards in the right conditions. 

I have other very accurate guns, but I can't call them as precise as they will spit a round every so often.

Tell me about your precise airguns.

That destination would go to my AZ tuned Rapid mk ll .20. Nothing is 100% but it's dam close. 
20211126_131122_HDR.1643495276.jpg

The gun I used for 25M benchrest competition was my RAW TM 1000. It had a LW polygonal barrel and I used JSB 13.4 gr pellets at 800 fps to stay within the 20 FPE limit. I've owned six FX rifles, 6 RAW rifles and a number of others, but the TM was the most precise for sure. Alas, I got old and I moved to a place where there is no competition for this gun, so I sold it.

IMG_1527.1643497084.jpg

For a series of one hole groups I have 2 options: 

1. 10m: Anschutz 9015 rifle shooting Eley tenex 4.50

2. 25m: Air Arms HFT 500 shooting Air Arms diabolo field 4.52mm

I need a 3rd airgun for 50, 100m (currently covered by 22LR). Not going to be my FX Impact without a lot of work and $. Hoping to have a contender on the line by Memorial Day.

Reactions: judorichard
Accurate, precise; it seems everyone has their own standard and interpretation. To me, consistent POI at a given range is accurate. Precise never enters my mind. But to address what the OP brings up, I would say that precise is what the gun can do, and accurate is what I can do with the gun's precision. This is based on my needs as a pester, not a FT shooter.

As a baseline, I gauge a rifle's accuracy at 50 yards, then at 75, and then at 100, and after that it is beyond expectations and a bonus.

For pistols, 25 yards is the baseline regarding accuracy, for me as a pester.

So when I see groups posted, I use my standards to gauge how well the guns shoots assuming the shooter is achieving their best to demonstrate the gun's precision.

So, my most accurate guns are my Impacts, in close second are my DreamTacs.

USFT and the current batch of pellets for it. 

Bought 4 dozen tins of JSB 10.34s when I first got the gun. I'm down to just a few of those left, and I'm dreading running out. I'm afraid the next batch simply won't be so magic. 

It'll stack them, and I don't mean figuratively, and I'm not conveniently stretching the truth or cherry picking. The gun will truly/simply stack pellets. 

Gen 1 Impact 75 yards, 1 MOA (3/4 inch) center to center. .25 cal JSB 34 grain

Rangemaster was interested in the gun while I was shooting so I asked him to take a couple shots. He'd never shot PCP's before. One shot, one bullseye at 75 yards. Dead center. He was a happy camper. He wanted a perfect shot, but I convinced him to take a second shot. About an inch off, so not quite an MOA 2 shot group. However, considering he'd never shot that gun before, not bad for a first timer. Speaks well of the gun too

Franklink's USFT is what he says. Mine is as good in accuracy but not as sweet in behavior. I have so many that are about equal but our Red Wolfs in 177 w the 16.1s are my favorite... they are just SO easy to place a pellet exactly where you want it and at 32 ft lb, hit stuff pretty hard plus never change.

Most dependable, industrial strength precision, is my USFT and close is my CRX ST and Theoben Mk1. My Steyr LG100, RN10, Huntsman Mk2, FWB 300, FWB 600, and the wife's Pro Target and Wolverine DEFINITELY deserve honorable mention.

Bob

• Love
Reactions: rj222