• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is your favorite caliber and airgun for deer hunting and what do you like best about it?

Thank you for your responce. I don't have alot of money to try out all the guns out there so I was hoping to narrow it down some. The only big bore I have is a Wingshot II I got as a all around survival gun but I would like to get another big bore that is great for hogs and deer hunting. I know that lots of you have killed many deer with big bores so I was hoping to get some good info from those that have.

@Chief55 I like the Benjamin Bulldog. I have only shot iterations of the .357 Bulldog. It’s easy to use, shoots a variety of projectiles, can be sent to various shops for power tuning and modification to increase the output (muzzle energy). The latest iteration, the Benjamin M357 (m for Magnum) has been good to go out of the box for me. I have not taken a deer with this gun this season, it is more than capable Meeting the legal requirements for hunting whitetail in Texas with an airgun. I’ve have several posts and a few threads on these air rifles. To answer your question, I like the .357 Bulldog because it’s easy to use, easy to maintain, has a good support network in the USA and on airgun forums, the platform has proven reliable for me, it is affordable, most ammo I’ve used isn’t too expensive, and it does most of what I want it to do.

M357 https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/benjamin-bulldog-m357-impression.1295660/

Modified .357 Benjamin Bulldog

Veradium Air “Taurus” modified .357 Bulldog

Here’s a video of .457 Bulldog getting it done.

You may also want to take a look at these threads. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/30-or-35-for-whitetail.1298007/#post-1578633

This type of question has been asked quite a lot on AGN, around the beginning of or during deer season. You can find plenty of other posts on hunting whitetails by conducting a simple AGN search. An example is the linked thread below

Last edited:
Texan 357. Lightweight and more power out of the box than most of the Custom guns. I wasnt a fan at first, but it is a very sturdy and easy to work on platform. Minimal,simple and a tank. These 140g .356 slugs splinter treated 4x4s and land in a nice MOA group at 100yds so far. Further testing for greater yardage coming soon.

20231013_101607.jpg

Thank you all for responding. This was very helpful and informative. I am very interrested in versatility as I like to hunt small game as well as predators and large game. Ezana4C4 I appreciate all the details and information and I am leaning toward a Bulldog M357 for those same reasons. I am also interrested in a Texan 357 carbine as well. I would go with the AEA ELEMENT MAX AIR RIFLE because it is only 5.2 pounds but they do not make it in .357 yet and may never. I am old so weight is important to me. Not a big deal in a stand but can get old quick still hunting. Thanks again.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Texan 357. Lightweight and more power out of the box than most of the Custom guns. I wasnt a fan at first, but it is a very sturdy and easy to work on platform. Minimal,simple and a tank. These 140g .356 slugs splinter treated 4x4s and land in a nice MOA group at 100yds so far. Further testing for greater yardage coming soon.

View attachment 396478
Have you had a chance to shoot that gun any further

@Chief55 I like the Benjamin Bulldog. I have only shot iterations of the .357 Bulldog. It’s easy to use, shoots a variety of projectiles, can be sent to various shops for power tuning and modification to increase the output (muzzle energy). The latest iteration, the Benjamin M357 (m for Magnum) has been good to go out of the box for me. I have not taken a deer with this gun this season, it is more than capable Meeting the legal requirements for hunting whitetail in Texas with an airgun. I’ve have several posts and a few threads on these air rifles. To answer your question, I like the .357 Bulldog because it’s easy to use, easy to maintain, has a good support network in the USA and on airgun forums, the platform has proven reliable for me, it is affordable, most ammo I’ve used isn’t too expensive, and it does most of what I want it to do.

M357 https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/benjamin-bulldog-m357-impression.1295660/

Modified .357 Benjamin Bulldog

Veradium Air “Taurus” modified .357 Bulldog

Here’s a video of .457 Bulldog getting it done.

You may also want to take a look at these threads. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/30-or-35-for-whitetail.1298007/#post-1578633

This type of question has been asked quite a lot on AGN, around the beginning of or during deer season. You can find plenty of other posts on hunting whitetails by conducting a simple AGN search. An example is the linked thread below

Man I sure wish I would get detail information like this instead of having you harass me Great post for this guy