• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

What is your effective range?

Despite many state and national champion titles, I don't even want to speculate what my answer would be, Vana. But truth be told, my maximum range probably wouldn't differ much from your's. That confessed, I'll take this opportunity to not only commend your honesty, but also your practice regimen.(y)

Being a lifelong hunter, I've long been torn between strong hunting instincts and making my hunting more sporting propositions by using sporting means, methods and weapons. But no matter the chosen means, methods and weapons, the hunter owes the prey as humane demise as probable. No; in hunting, given anything less than a good brain-shot, humane demises are virtually impossible.

A good example is my decades-long archery and bowhunting affliction that devolved through the decades from compound bows to recurves, to longbows, and ultimately, to stick-bows in order to make it necessary to approach quarry to almost spitting-distance, where the advantage shifts considerably to potential quarry. However I eventually gave up bowhunting because there is NO WAY to have confidence a well-launched arrow won't injure an animal that dodged before the arrow arrives ('jumped the string'). I still enjoy archery immensely; but for the therapeutic value, rather than a hunting method.

View attachment 458713 View attachment 458714 View attachment 458716

'Ladybug', my favorite bow (of my own making).

Beautiful bow!

I'm into selfbows and favor the Meare Heath and Holmegaard styles made from Hophornbeam, Elm or Maple.

I don't hunt deer anymore either, all the local ones have names. 😀

Cheers!

Reactions: swNCsw
You would need a vacuum gauge to measure the suck of my off hand shooting ability.
I have been using some sort of aid for 30+ years when hunting with PB rifle. I adhere to the ethics of a humane harvest. Bipods and cross sticks are not for extending my range so much as it is to ensure a properly placed shot.
With my air guns I never shoot without some form of aid even if it is a fence post, stick or from the prone position.

Reactions: Vana2
I'm an 80%er at 10 yards or less on a 1" target using my 1701P, standing off hand. Well, most of the time. I do a fair amount of standing off hand practice with my rifles and I feel confident out to about 20-25 yards with either optics or irons (dunno about 80%, but I'm satisfied). Going beyond 25 yards, I prefer prone or kneeling failing better support like a tree or rock.

Reactions: Struckat