What is this?

Can anyone identify what this is? Rust perhaps? How should I deal with this?

88441BEB-F8FF-4AA8-89AD-64AF4F2B9C4A.1627863822.jpeg

Regards

It looks like rust to me but I could be wrong. If it is rust put some WD40 on it and buff it out with some fine steel wool. This method has worked for me. Stay away from "rust removers" because they will remove the blueing.

Thanks for the idea everyone. I was actually already ahead of the curve on this one. I can’t get it to remove with the steel wool; so, I was waiting for some other kind of idea. I’m currently in the process of trying a different oil with 0000 steel wool to see if that’ll work.

It is something the manufacturer put on when joining the barrel to the action. Clean it, keep it properly lubed and don't worry about it. Looks like it was intended to be there to me...

But I did NOT sleep in a Holiday Inn last night so ... YMMV

I thought the same thing. Color reminds me of fluxing paste when used to sweat copper pipe.

It is something the manufacturer put on when joining the barrel to the action. Clean it, keep it properly lubed and don't worry about it. Looks like it was intended to be there to me...

But I did NOT sleep in a Holiday Inn last night so ... YMMV

I thought the same thing. Color reminds me of fluxing paste when used to sweat copper pipe.

Did Diana ever do such a thing?

I have no idea what Diana does or doesn't do ! My 34 ( T06 2018 build date) doesn't have that discoloration. What year is yours ?

02/1994. It’s a restoration process; this is the hardest part for me. It’s a learning process. The tuning is easy. It’s going to be a nice working and looking rifle once I’m done with it.

Can anyone identify what this is? Rust perhaps? How should I deal with this?

I gotta ask, if the rifle was cleaned by a solvent or other cleaning agent near the breech where solvent and bluing meet to create "orange" rather than rust?

Maybe…I couldn’t really say as I’m no expert on it. That’s why I’m askin lol. Thanks

Regards