• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Is There To Get Excited About In Spring Guns?

Even though this idea would basically be a firearm it'd be neat to see butane, propane, etc, be refined into a modern pellet/slug gun.

There used to be springers built with ether injectors. There's a reason you don't see those: they would blow up.

I'd like to see a bull-pup breakbarrel or side-lever. I know there's been some in the past but they were usually wimpy .177 barely going 550 fps. I'm wanting something about 15 fpe.

To answer the OP's question: I get excited about airgun manufacturers continuing to refine springer technology in order to bring about the best balance of power, accuracy, weight, cocking effort etc. There is still research to do here. It would be nice if airgun manufacturers agreed to stop marketing their guns as the fastest, cheapest, most powerful. We know that just means lots of bad airguns on the market and people who think all airguns work like that which in turn hurts the industry as a whole.

Tough question for me to answer, given the two big innovations in the last few years--(1) upping the FPS of springers thereby accentuating the shooting challenges and (2) the incredible drop in PCP entry level prices and features. When I first entered, PCPs mostly didn't try to compete with quality Spring/Ram guns. 

I like the synthetic stocks (but like wood better). I like the array of calibers available, also. Sig Sauer has added some innovative guns (pistols and the ASP20 rifle), as well as Berretta. Umarex offers some super replicas. And, let's really not overlook the numerous, positive manufacturing contributions by the Chinese. 

Sounds to me like we've got a lot of new innovation occurring in the Springer and CO2 realms. Again, I guess it depends upon how you view the partially-filled glass.

Arch_E

🔶

A sidelever bullpup [...]

capable of the accuracy of a PCP with minimal recoil

producing 20+ fpe

that would be my dream lol

HEY! Not fair, SummitShooter, you're almost quoting me....! 🤣 

Recoil-reduced (= hold-insensitive), like a Diana 54/ 56

Bullpup, 29" or shorter (synthetic stock)

▪Really quiet

20—25FPE in .22cal

(12FPE if "Marauder-quiet") 

Matthias

🔶 Well, and here comes Moss on a rock sliding on the same track 👍🏼:

I'd like to see a bull-pup breakbarrel or side-lever.

I'm wanting something about 15 fpe.

And I thought I was weird when I wrote that the first time around....

There are others like me (not other weirdos, watch it! 🤣)....

What are the chances this will come to pass before most of us are too old to cock that bullpup springer...?

Maybe we need to stop expecting innovation from die-hard-😖-traditionalists of my home country* and instead ask the innovators in airgunning (like FX) to move springers into the 21st century.... 🤔 

Just saying....

Matthias

*[Germany (and related)]

I had a 20 CAL Factory RWS Diana M48 black out sold it after the 20 cal CROSMAN Premier got discontinued and matter of fact I got rid of most of my 20 cal springers and Theoben gas rams because of it. Only got a handful left of 20cal springers. I just couldn't part with my green laminate limited edition centennial or was that millennial I forget anywhoo 20 cal HW97k. Bummed the hell outa me when they started producing those stocks regularly many years later even till today so I bought a 177 HW77k with same green laminate added some Vortex voodoo to that one. I think a Diana 54 or 56 in 20 cal would be perfect if tuned to shoot at 22-24 fpe. Right Over the FT limit then PERFECT! Yo!

Parkerized metal and synthetic stocks have no soul.

I feel insulted, Bill: 😡 

You just told me indirectly that I like Zombies.... 💀

Well, I guess I always was a little different, I guess.... 🤔

Bill, all in good fun! 👍🏼

I won't retaliate with accusations of outdated traditionalism and backward nostalgism.... 🤣

All in jest. I respect your preferences, I do. 👍🏼👍🏼

Matthias

The joy I get from shooting them.

That's the one. Joy of shooting.

I had been searching for the SR version of the TX200 for years and then all of a sudden, within two years, I had two of them. I have a Mk1 and a left hand action Mk2. I also have a recoiling version of the Mk2 and a Hunter Carbine ordered. The three I have all shoot very well and definitely have soul. The two SRs have Jmacarri CS1000 stocks and I have a beech and walnut stock for the regular Mk2. All are tuned to between 10.5 and 11.6 ft/lb. Most accurate at that power and pleasant to shoot.

I have some really nice PCPs that have been neglected for about four years.

The joy I get from shooting them.

That's the one. Joy of shooting.

I had been searching for the SR version of the TX200 for years and then all of a sudden, within two years, I had two of them. I have a Mk1 and a left hand action Mk2. I also have a recoiling version of the Mk2 and a Hunter Carbine ordered. The three I have all shoot very well and definitely have soul. The two SRs have Jmacarri CS1000 stocks and I have a beech and walnut stock for the regular Mk2. All are tuned to between 10.5 and 11.6 ft/lb. Most accurate at that power and pleasant to shoot.

I have some really nice PCPs that have been neglected for about four years.

I hear you breaux(s) -

1591231258_9856204585ed8431a581031.14516362.JPG