• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

What is the Proof Pressure of airgun pressure vessels?

I've read (don't remember where) that a tube PCP rifle tube should be tested and or replaced after so many years?? Now I'm not sure if this is true or not??

I have seen pics over the years of some tube rifles that had burst.. mostly was the fault of the user.. taking it apart over and over....over torquing the threads.. dented tubes.. using poor filters on a cheap pump/compressor causing corrosion..(this is exactly why I will never buy a used rifle. Using a cheap compressor is fine but going cheap on the filter..geeze)
One dumbass filled with oxygen..

I seen the edgun post.. and I wonder what the truth really is. We may never know but I bet it was the user not the manufacturer

I've read (don't remember where) that a tube PCP rifle tube should be tested and or replaced after so many years?? Now I'm not sure if this is true or not??

I have seen pics over the years of some tube rifles that had burst.. mostly was the fault of the user.. taking it apart over and over....over torquing the threads.. dented tubes.. using poor filters on a cheap pump/compressor causing corrosion..(this is exactly why I will never buy a used rifle. Using a cheap compressor is fine but going cheap on the filter..geeze)
One dumbass filled with oxygen..

I seen the edgun post.. and I wonder what the truth really is. We may never know but I bet it was the user not the manufacturer
I saw a line in the Weihrauch site yesterday that said a retest of the airgun pressure cylinder is recommended after 15 years. Weihrauch would even perform the testing for you. With shipping the way it is today it might be cheaper to just buy a new tank.

I hear you about buying used, a lesson earned when I was riding Motocross bikes -that was a minute ago.

I scoured the internet for this little tidbit of information. I went to the ISO website and to GIDEP (where I used to have an account. I guess it got scrubbed) and ISO wanted $160 to download the doc. It just wasn't worth that to me. I was just curious.

I also went down the rabbit hole on carbon wrapped scuba tanks. 5 years seems to be the accepted norm for hydrostatic recertification of these tanks.
The one site that talked about proof testing showed a tank failing spectacularly at ~7,400 psi using air in lieu of water. I have no idea why you'd want to use a gas for that.