• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the Optimum Muzzle Velocity for Slugs?

2manyAirGunz

Jul 26, 2018
AL
I'm no hunter, i.e. unless sitting on my patio deck picking off pest squirrels and chipmunks qualifies as hunting. However, airgunning and all it entails has provided me with a pleasurable -- if expensive -- retirement pass-time/activity.

I really want to get into this slug-shooting vogue, but my enthusiasm wanes when I test the popular, available offerings and the accuracy is wanting when compared to JSB diabolo pellets. Viewing videos of member Bob_O's exploits where he routinely takes pest birds at well-over 100 yards, tells me that the accuracy I'm experiencing is no where near what's achievable with the slugs.

So far, my best grouping with Varmint Knockers and NSA -- with the VKs having a slight edge in accuracy -- are 0.60+ inches at 50 yards. I won't even bother to detail the less-than mediocre results at 100 yards. 

My best results to date have been with the Taipan Veteran Long .25 cal with the CZ LW barrel pushing the 31.5 grain VKs at approx. 970 fps, although the groups fall apart at 100 yards. Just the opposite of what I understand is the rationale for using the slugs.

I also have tried, unsuccessfully, shooting the .25 caliber, 34.7(?) grain slugs through the FX Impact slug liner at 970 fps.

My question, for members who've had success using these slug:

What muzzle velocity and barrel are you using?

I am determined to get the most from my investment in slugs.

Your comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Hi 2many! I can only spoke my experience so far with Fx liners, speeds between 850 to 1000 

0.22, 1:18 slug liner 600mm: only like the 27gn NSA @ 50 mt over that not good

0.22: 1:19 Pellet liner 600mm, great success with VK 22.5gn and NSA 30gn 218, moa accuracy @ 100 meters, @ 150m starts to open a lot, but still hunting accuracy (total surprise)

0.22 1:16 slug liner 700mm: not tested yet (I have it but need the barrel extension from 600 to 700)

0.25 (have note measure the TR) 700mm pellet liner x, not good with VK 32.8gn slugs 

most you can find it here https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/test-results-after-600-slugs-shooted-022-cal-600-mm-slug-liner-on-my-x/

Hi 2many! I can only spoke my experience so far with Fx liners, speeds between 850 to 1000 

0.22, 1:18 slug liner 600mm: only like the 27gn NSA @ 50 mt over that not good

0.22: 1:19 Pellet liner 600mm, great success with VK 22.5gn and NSA 30gn 218, moa accuracy @ 100 meters, @ 150m starts to open a lot, but still hunting accuracy (total surprise)

0.22 1:16 slug liner 700mm: not tested yet (I have it but need the barrel extension from 600 to 700)

0.25 (have note measure the TR) 700mm pellet liner x, not good with VK 32.8gn slugs 

most you can find it here https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/test-results-after-600-slugs-shooted-022-cal-600-mm-slug-liner-on-my-x/

Edosan, I’m completely thrown by the multiplicity of twist rates mentioned here for FX liners in ,22 caliber. My own .22 600mm slug liner twist rate isn’t even mentioned.

Regardless 2manyAGs based on my discussions with Bob finding that perfect muzzle velocity is a largely the result of extensive tuning and experimentation for each individual rig. I know Bob has shot hundreds of slugs in different weights and configurations to find which .22 caliber slug works best for his Crown with its specific FX slug liner. I think it’s safe to say that he sees his best performance for the .22 cal slug weights he uses in the low to mid 900 velocities.

I have to say that on top of experimenting Bob is a damned good (really damned good) long distance shooter and you have to take that into consideration. I doubt seriously I could pickup his Crown and shoot the groups he routinely achieves with his favorite slugs.

Bob is very generous with the information he has developed. Check out his YouTube channel there is plenty of information to be gleaned from those. I can hardly wait for him to embark on his next round of experimentation. Ah I see he already has put up his initial results from his new baby, an FX Impact MKII with an ER Power Tune.

EDIT: Brevity.

You should check this post then: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-liners-twist-rate-confusion/

What twist rate you have? The latest is 1:16 and Bob got that one since day 1 (Lucky b! ;) ) and we are talking on 0.22 I do not even want to look @ 0.25 

But been able to change liners that easy, has no price. (well actually 109 ;)

You should check this post then: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-liners-twist-rate-confusion/

What twist rate you have? The latest is 1:16 and Bob got that one since day 1 (Lucky b! ;) ) and we are talking on 0.22 I do not even want to look @ 0.25 

But been able to change liners that easy, has no price. (well actually 109 ;) )

Interesting, Just chatted with Bob and we both think FX currently has two twist rates in production. Cant speak to what's gone before. Mine is the same as Bobs (1:16) and purchased in February/March from UA (thanks Mike!), months after Bob received his 1:16 600mm .22 cal. Go figure. 

My new arm shoots 1 ounce at 1650fps at 2600fpe:
1555423402_14872915055cb5e0aa806ad9.54902840_C7D684A1-5283-4996-8016-B9D3A8866F06.jpeg

At 15 yards, offhand..🤠

Edosan, thanks for the information. I will gladly utilize this and keep you abreast my results. Just this AM I found moderate success with the VK 22.1 grain slugs at 45 and 50 yards, the max distance at my current locale. This was done with my Taipan Veteran .22 caliber sporting the CZ barrel. 

I've seen where these hollow points put a humongous entry hole in a squirrel.👌🏻

Thanks again for your help.

Al

I can only speak about the .25 cal. from my experiences. 

Optimum Muzzle Velocity for Slugs? I don't think that question has an answer. It's not that simple. 

I just in the last 2 weeks here I've finally developed the "Magic slug" for my stock Cricket .25 cal. Old Faithful.

She only shoots a 30.5 gr. at 872 FPS. But the HP works awesome (even at 100 yards). Makes back to back sub-MOA groups at a 100 yards seem effortless. 

I made slugs (1/10th grain increments) to match the gun. I know that's backwards, because you are needing to tune the gun to a slug you buy. 

Your Taipan Veteran Long .25 cal with the CZ LW barrel pushing the 31.5 grain VKs at 970 FPS. 

Assuming they are NOT hard to chamber.

I would suggest lowering the speed about 10 FPS. 

Then test a group. Not happy at 100 yards. Lower it again. I'd go too about 870-880 FPS. Just a thought. 

Or get an assortment of weights from one of the slug makers. Cone base would be my choice for a probe style bolt. 30gr. to 31.5gr.