• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the most accurate break barrel .22 air rifle in 50y? (sweet spot between power and accuracy)

Fwiw I bought a used Rx1 (Hw90) in 20 caliber. It was neglected and hardly shot for 19 years. After dealing with the typical burnt piston seal, freshening up the innards and learning to adjust the trigger it was a fine shooting gun at 19-20 fpe.

I have either owned or tuned every current Weihrauch except the 57 and I think the Rx1 (Hw90) was a great gun. Its nicer and easier to shoot accurately than my R1 (Hw80) making similar power in either 20 or 22 caliber. The only thing I didn't like was the weight. My nickname for the gun was "The Monster". It's even heavier than my R1 and probably Hw97 Laminate.

That's my experience and my opinion on the Hw90 having actually owned one. Take from it what you will. For me it's Weihrauchs flagship. The peak of their piston rifle lineup. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one at the right price. And magnum springers aren't my thing. I much prefer my little Hw30s over anything else.

Last edited:
Also fwiw I think shooting a piston gun accurately at 50 yds might be more about the Indian than the bow. There's plenty of very accurate piston guns out there. Granted some are a little better than others but generally they're close enough. It's more dependant on the the shooter and if the gun is liking the current tin of pellets.

Some days my 177 Hw95 is king of 50 yds, some days it's my 177 97. That's with the same shooter on the same day, in the same conditions. The difference will be which gun is doing better with the available pellets.

I say get whatever it is you want as long as it has a good reputation and learn to tune the gun and your skills with it.

Last edited:
Fwiw I bought a used Rx1 (Hw90) in 20 caliber. It was neglected and hardly shot for 19 years. After dealing with the typical burnt piston seal, freshening up the innards and learning to adjust the trigger it was a fine shooting gun at 19-20 fpe.

I have either owned or tuned every current Weihrauch except the 57 and I think the Rx1 (Hw90) was a great gun. Its nicer and easier to shoot accurately than my R1 (Hw80) making similar power in either 20 or 22 caliber. The only thing I didn't like was the weight. My nickname for the gun was "The Monster". It's even heavier than my R1 and probably Hw97 Laminate.

That's my experience and my opinion on the Hw90 having actually owned one. Take from it what you will. For me it's Weihrauchs flagship. The peak of their piston rifle lineup. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one at the right price. And magnum springers aren't my thing. I much prefer my little Hw30s over anything else.
yes, it sounds that RX1 is really little different gun....

For me it's my HW50 tuned by Mycapt65, it's my most accurate and easiest to shoot.
5 shots at 50 yards.
jNcDsqK.jpg

yes, it sounds that RX1 is really little different gun....
Not sure what you mean by it's a little different gun. The Rx1 is a Hw90 through and through. Although it is definitely different from the other springers on your list. It's not a bad gun, (IMO) it's a great gun. It's just huge and heavy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ondra
As long as you cut the spring in half, you will be fine :ROFLMAO:
I've officially hit that stage in my life where I want guns that you pickup and say "WHY??"

Like I also have this desire to have someone slap a .25 cal HW30S mortar for me because it sounds extremely fun. Guess I'm at both ends of the power spectrum here haha

As long as you cut the spring in half, you will be fine :ROFLMAO:
Yeah the SLK won't be something you want to plink with. I had a K barrel on my R1 and it was a bear to cock. It doesn't help that I had a deliberately oversprung PG4 kit in it at the time. Still even with the longer barrel and standard PG4 kit it gets tiring. I'm a big guy so I can and have shot a couple hundred shots through it at a time. But I feel it. The Hw80 is a great gun but at full power it's too big and stiff to cock to be fun for long sessions. At least it is for me. Ymmv.

Last edited:
Thats a good note to add. My FWB Sport outshoots my HW95 as well. Its a darn good gun @ 14fpe. It also shoulders a bit better and has much cleaner irons. Looks wise I think the Sport tops the 95 Luxus but I know thats a controversial thing to say. I love the way it looks.
Glad to here I am not the only one with that opinion of the Sport. That factory rear is the best I have seen or used, excluding diopter types. If I could change one thing it would be the shape of the trigger guard. and it is growing on me. I would make it more rounded, less angular, more traditional, but that's me. Weight, balance and handling is just about perfect, I probably should have used a higher power scope other than the Hawke Airmax 2-7, I like the lower power but can see the front globe at lower power. I like the lines of the gun with the smaller scope and think a much larger scope would not look right. Since I am shooting well with it I will keep it as is. I wish someone would make some good quick detacheable rings for the 11mm dovetails.

Not sure what you mean by it's a little different gun. The Rx1 is a Hw90 through and through. Although it is definitely different from the other springers on your list. It's not a bad gun, (IMO) it's a great gun. It's just huge and heavy.
meaning that RX1 is not an average springer gun, nothing else...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mycapt65
Here goes.

I do believe I’ve owned and operated every single one of the spring Piston Airgun’s on this thread, plus many many more.

When I say operated, I specifically shoot them for accuracy, usually groups at 50 yards, sometimes longer.

As you pointed out power has pain. Once you climb up to about 15 foot pounds it’s going to be much more difficult to shoot small consistent groups.

I spent an entire summer trying to shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards with a spring piston Airgun. The main thing I learned is that power kills accuracy to a certain degree. If I’m strictly trying to shoot small groups, power definitely kills accuracy.

If I’m hunting and I’m shooting offhand, I would prefer the higher powered rifle as the recoil is much easier to manage from an offhand position. And I want flat shooting. That’s much different than what you’re asking for.

Weight is a huge advantage if your shooting from a rest at 50 yards with any gun. This is magnified and exponentially with a springer. In this scenario I would put a big fat high magnification heavy scope on the rifle, it’s going to help dampen recoil and movement.

AnRWS 52 with a big huge scope on it would be a great choice, if all you’re going to do is shoot it from a bench. All of the rifles that you’ve listed will do what you’re asking as long as you keep them fairly low powered. So an R1 would have to be D-tuned.

The only exception to all this and it’s not listed in the rifles above would be the sig.. Unfortunately it’s not in production anymore. It seems to defy the forces of nature.

If I were you, I would pick the one that appeals to me most physically. They all have a great triggers. They all have a great accuracy.

The one that’s not mentioned on this list is an old FWB 127. If I had to grab any 22 and shoot a small group it would be that one. Perfect combination of power and accuracy, pretty much exactly what you’re looking for. I think the closest you would currently find is an R9.

Mike