• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the most accurate airgun in todays market?

I see on this forum is mostly fx impacts. Is that the most accurate gun or something? Are there other guns more accurate? What i mean by accurate is a gun that can put hole in hole over and over again. Aka the smallest group size at certain distance. What's the most accurate airgun you know?
Yeah, this question was way too open ended, with the corrosponding tit for tat that would inevitably follow. The members that replied it's the shooter, not the gun so much are CORRECT. Big time. You get someone that has tuned their gun perfectly and it shoots slugs could beat out a great shooter with only pellets . Just based on better wind cutting ammo.
However, in the SPIRIT of which your question was intended. There would be about 20 guns that all could answer that question with the emphesis being on tuning, maintanence, practice, ammo sorting-some don't agree with this, but I do. Lastly, time , and extensive shooting in an enclosed area with a gun vice with every type of ammo. For a list , any of these: FX, Taipan, Brocock, Daystate, AAA, Air arms, Steyr, FWB, and others, depends more if you get a great BARREL. Unfortunately, this question HAS NO SINGLE ANSWER. Now for an out of the box potential tack driver, there is a reason guns are over $1500 and others are below, generally tuneability/ power adjustment ease and fit and finish. Rest is up to the SHOOTER.

Re: 10 meter accuracy, have you tried this? I've done it with dozens of guns over decades, not so easy to make an average gun put 10 in the same hole. ISSF / olympic 10m competitors fuss over every detail because they matter, even with a pistol at 10m.
Somewhere on GTA, I have a post where I put 5 pellets in the same hole (10 meters) with a Nova Vista Freedom. I stopped at 5 because I was so excited (and I didn't want to chance messing up such a perfect hole! chuckle), so it wasn't a 10 pellet group.

Yes, if I remember correctly, in the original post I said that I had considered opening up the hole to make it look more believable because it looked like I had only shot one pellet.

Haven't had an airgun that could do that since... (heavy sigh) And that Freedom was easily sub-MOA out to at least 50 yards if I could do my part. (smile)

Last edited:
This all gets back to competition shooting, which demands accuracy, precision and everything else posted above to win. Putting rounds exactly where they belong, at a certain place in time, requires many factors to line up.

A shooter with the right skill, state of mind, energy level - obviously; this is your ticket to the game. Logistics: getting to the range with your proven gun, ammo and gear. Following the match rules to arrive on the line. Making your gun go bang exactly as needed to win.

When the shooting starts you can miss the cut for any one, or multiple factors. But without a top performing gun & gear nobody is going to win any competition that matters, ever. The data don't lie, and shooters don't invest ridiculous time and $ into their guns and gear just to irritate their spouses and provide their sponsors with a dumping ground for their marketing budget.

The gun makers that sponsor shooters aren't in it for charity. If ACME guns could send Wile E Coyote out with their $499 special to any competition of note and clean house, imagine how many guns they would sell - they would crush the profits of Anschutz, Steyr, Pardini, Air Arms et al.

I'm still rooting for Wile E by the way. Always loved his setups; he knew that the optic should be at least 2x the cost of the gun.
1664932760606.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Peskådot671
Yes, if I remember correctly, in the original post I said that I had considered opening up the hole to make it look more believable because it looked like I had only shot one pellet.

Pretty funny. Thanks for sharing. It reminded me of when I had to redo the hunter safety class to get my card so I could hunt in Canada. All of the state records for hunter safety were destroyed in a fire, - pre computer era - so I could not just ask for a replacement card. I used a Ruger 10-22 with a very accurate heavy barrel on it and some kind of scope, probably a 3-9 Burris. When I turned in my target the teenager who was doing the scoring work said I had to shoot it again because I missed every shot but one. As I was starting to explain it was the full 10 or so shots required, my neighbor who was in charge of the class walked over and told the kid that it was 10 shots and that he had witnessed every shot through his binos. The kid still didn't believe it, but they gave me my card.

Having read back through all of this I realized I posted early on. Thing is, I think I was right. To answer the question OP asked he has to answer a few others. First, what are you going to do with it? Hunting is one thing, benchrest is something very different. Second, how are you going to apply it’s use which is to say, how do you want to shoot? From a bench, standing freehand or prone, sitting and standing all together? Third, how much time and work are you willing to put in? To win consistently you need to spend time finding out what shooting positions work for you and what doesn’t. Maybe get a little coaching or instruction. Next, how much are you willing to spend? I doubt I’ll ever outshoot most of the serious competitors I’ve met using my $250 rifle against their $4k rifles. Money well spent on a high end rifle can solve quite a few problems but not all of them. It’s too easy to simply throw money at a problem and see it not work, might as well have thrown it out the window. So there you go. If you’re willing to work hard, do the research and tuning, weigh pellets and all the other things, large and small, that the best competitors do and spend money on a high end gun then do all of that. Go to some matches and see what’s there and what they do. Ask a few questions, most of the ones I’ve met have been quite nice and helpful. If you DON’T want to do all that then pick up a $250-$700 or $800 rifle. Either way, enjoy doing it. Having been involved in a few different competitive activities I can say flat out, enjoy it. If you’re not having fun, win or lose, why are you bothering to do it.

Rick H.

Reactions: drpietrzak