• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the most accurate airgun in todays market?

i dont own a non electronic daystate but i think impacts are top notch, pull out and 1st shot is money. i like the barrel set up much better than the super light system that crowns or dreamlines have. i would like to see more taipan or agt in the competitions. my mutant 22 made me decide to part with my AZ tuned shrouded theoben rapid mkii, it pokes 18.1s in same holes alot. even though im not a “pro” airgun shooter ive owned a bunch of pcps, the impacts seem solid and consistent to me

If someone did the incredible amount of very expensive and time consuming mechanical / robot testing like what is done just with golf balls and golf clubs every year, using several examples of every gun model in production at a specific point in time, shooting every conceivable projectile tuned to a vast range of settings, in a controlled environment, totally removing the human factor, I think we would know which air gun model was the most consistently accurate at that moment in time.

Okay!
Okay!

All things being equal --shooter, environmental conditions, gun vice etc. -- which high-end PCP is most accurate in stock form?
Good luck with that question... (chuckle)

You may get as many answers as there are high (end) priced airguns! LOL!

You have to do your due diligence in researching what you want/need and even then, you may choose wrong. But nobody can tell you what to buy that is a guarantee that you will be satisfied. Sorry, facts are facts. (smile) Well, facts are facts, except when it comes to airguns... (chuckle)

Now THAT should provoke some replies even if your post doesn't! (ducking and running...LOL)

See how I helped you there?

Last edited:
Reactions: merpo
Okay!
Okay!

All things being equal --shooter, environmental conditions, gun vice etc. -- which high-end PCP is most accurate in stock form?
For me

Thomas is the easiest rifle to shoot accurately, followed very closely by the AA HFT500.

I own Steyr and RAW rifles as well, and they are all equally accurate at times, but the Thomas is easier for me to shoot tiny tiny groups with consistently.

For pistols there is something different about the Morini 162E pistol mentioned several times on the circuit.
Shot from rest all pellets go through the same pellet hole. I believe it has something to do with the strange port on the muzzle reducing air turbulence somehow…Its pellet probing and metering system do not look to have any advances over other similar guns…although trigger is mind numbingly good.

For Rifles the Anshutz 9015 is known for one holing at 50 metres even when set at 6ftlbs and unlikely to be bested when set at 12. Rat works described it as the ultimate engineered machine, fine tweaking its regulator beyond that of any conventional production target rifle

For general production Sporters, the old Theoben rapid still takes some beating after making a record breaking group back in the 90s of 3/8” at a confirmed 60 yards…benefits of superb precision of the mag function and probing. Still whips its modern day offerings in the right hands and remains a first choice for many a pest controller.

Last edited:
Please tell me why in the EBR no one brings a marauder, avenger, gauntlet, gamo whisper, hatsan, etc? If mikes makes them shoot accurate he should bring it to 2022 EBR and make a marauder take 1st place. Lol.
Here are the results from 2018 EBR. People are winning with brocock, fx, and daystate. I do not see any marauder on the list. The pros knows a marauder or any low budget guns will never come close no matter how skill you are. Thats just fact.

View attachment 293694
Sorry to bring a different topic but this might bring a good point.

I noticed the FX Impact and Daystate dominated the bench rifles.

But I also noticed that there’s I think 11 Impact and most of them are 30cal where’s the Daystates are all 22 cal.

I think 🤔 you know my question why is that ? Is the Daystate more capable of dominating and taking advantage of the superb performance of the 22cal ?

I see on this forum is mostly fx impacts. Is that the most accurate gun or something? Are there other guns more accurate? What i mean by accurate is a gun that can put hole in hole over and over again. Aka the smallest group size at certain distance. What's the most accurate airgun you know?
Of the non-custom normal production (not a Thomas Air Rifle) I would have to say a Daystate Redwolf. It's more about the shooter than the platform. Any good shooter can do well with any platform, so opinions like the above (mine) are just opinions. Want something objective? Look at the results at EBR last year and then look again next week. Look at the top airguns and you will have an idea of what the best shooters are using. Does that mean you can buy that airgun/s and perform as well? I guess that depends on just how competitive you are! Pick your rifle and just run with it. But my opinion? The Redwolf. Close second is the Daystate Safari. I don't own either but I've shot them and they are dream machines. Of custom airguns? Thomas Air.

Look at a Youtube video by Ted Bier on tuning FX rifles. In the corner of his shop is a box with what looks like 100+ FX barrel liners in it. Hmmmm, that should tell you something right there. The guys who are shooting FX rifles at EBR and RMAC aren't shooting out of the box rifles that the average Joe buys or even has access to those werx parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: merpo and Mg616
I'd like to add to the original question. What gun/guns can you take straight out of the box and drop pigeons and starlings at 100 yards?
I have a 25 cal. Walther Maximathor and I know it can't.

It's just like any other production rifle which is a luck of the draw proposition as far as how well it will shoot.
Take a brand new $3000 gun off the rack, a couple others of the exact same model sitting next to it on the shelf, bench them all, and you might see one that is exceptional, another might mediocre, and the next might be showing dismal precision or have something wrong with it.

That being stated if you did the same with, say, three much less expensive guns of the same make and model, the best one might perform up there with the best $3000 gun, except the chances are much lower that this will happen.

Now once you've lucked out and found a good one you best hope you got a good batch of pellets to compliment it because a poor batch of pellets will disappoint.

It's not a bad idea to plan on finding a good airgun smith or buy a gun that's been tuned by one like Derrick Wall. Sometimes such an individual can massage out the kinks and cast out the dark vibes.

Reactions: MartyMcFly
10 meter is nothing this day and age. If a airgun can't do hole in hole 10 meter than it's trash imo. Can those so call 10 meter also do hole in hole at 50 and 100? I dont think so.

I agree to a point its also the shooter. But its mostly it is the gun. Give a marauder to the best elite shooter, will it compete with someone with a impact at 100 yards? I dont think so.
Re: 10 meter accuracy, have you tried this? I've done it with dozens of guns over decades, not so easy to make an average gun put 10 in the same hole. ISSF / olympic 10m competitors fuss over every detail because they matter, even with a pistol at 10m.

Most accurate rifle? The one in the hands of the best shooter. And I don't say that from pure sarcasm. Any current top-shelf rifle of the appropriate configuration can be the winner in any given competition, with the right shooter. Tuning, pellet/slug selection, and practice. As they say, no free lunches. To the OP, you know from review the names of the best rifles made. Choose your favorite, and your reason for choosing it doesn't matter. Unless you happen to get a bad barrel (which can happen with any of them), you will have what you need to start practicing. Don't be too influenced by the personal preferences of others.

80% shooter 20% gun/scope , I see guys in competitions skeet long range and guys with entry level equiptment can clean house who are shooters , at my gun club for example they got the trap house and many guys have them $20k itialian shotguns and like special coats glasses and shoes , and a guy with a big stomach with a 20 yr old $200 mossberg 500 wins , I been to a 2000 yard competitions or king of 2 miles and shoot with guys with tier 1 stuff like barretts , or accuracy international or stergeon rifles topped with Schmidt bender or ATACR scopes n and a guy with a $500 Savage with a $300 swfa scope wins so , the shooter is key in real world conditions , unlike inside benchrest where no wind or elements and known distances ,
main thing is keep shooting until your gun and or scope is a part of your body and you will be king
LOU

Last edited:
For pistols there is something different about the Morini 162E pistol mentioned several times on the circuit.
Shot from rest all pellets go through the same pellet hole. I believe it has something to do with the strange port on the muzzle reducing air turbulence somehow…Its pellet probing and metering system do not look to have any advances over other similar guns…although trigger is mind numbingly good.

For Rifles the Anshutz 9015 is known for one holing at 50 metres even when set at 6ftlbs and unlikely to be bested when set at 12. Rat works described it as the ultimate engineered machine, fine tweaking its regulator beyond that of any conventional production target rifle

For general production Sporters, the old Theoben rapid still takes some beating after making a record breaking group back in the 90s of 3/8” at a confirmed 60 yards…benefits of superb precision of the mag function and probing. Still whips its modern day offerings in the right hands and remains a first choice for many a pest controller.
Agreed concerning the Rapids, Mine will hold it's own with anything I ever had, first day out July 4th weekend 2004 it printed a 7/16" group @ 50y by an inexperienced shooter...I witnessed that and still have the target. 3/8" @ 60y is another day at the office for it in good conditions...there are so many excellent platforms to choose from today NASA couldn't determine the most accurate airgun out
20220922_124308.jpg
there...my money goes on the shooter...no substitute for a "masters hand".

Grin!! Quite the topic taint it! Well for all you PCP shooters I will shoot against any of you at up to 40 yards and send you home with a consolation grin and a new experience. I will use either my HW95 or HW97 and let you flip a coin as to which one. They are both laser accurate and will shoot one hole groups up to 40 yards . So as for the most accurate springer it is one of these. I own a mess of springers of all makes and brands and although some of them shoot OK none can approach the accuracy of the HW rifles. The exception and worthy mention is the Air Arms TX200 also sits on the top rack. I simply do not like the grip on the stock, that is my personal pet peeve with that one.

So over the years shooting almost every day, and gaining the required expertise to shoot, the rifle above all is the most important. A good rifle will accent your skills, a poor one is a rifle no one can shoot well. For example I can pick up a Gamo, Crossman, Benjamin, whatever and I will just like most accomplish a one inch group at 25 yards. Quite simply most rifles are not capable even with an experienced shooter.

I also shoot PCP rifles and do really enjoy the state of art a good PCP has achieved at our current accomplishments. For me, over the years one and only one PCP has survived and still holds top place of all air rifles I have ever shot. And that is my MK2 Crown .25. Hole in hole you say at 10 meters, this is an insult to the rifle, out to 30 yards it is a true one hole situation. Where it shines is at long range. Groups under one inch are consistent and repeatable on any calm day, and even on a day with a steady wind, once you know the hold for wind, not a problem.
I have had some fancy Daystates and for me personally although they are fantastic rifles, I have never been able to achieve the accuracy that I get with my Crown. So once again the rifle compliments the skill and for me the Crown wins. I plan to purchase an new one in .22 this coming January.

So for me HW springers are the most accurate and the FX Crown is the most accurate PCP. Going to set up sugar cubes at 50 yards today and spend a couple hours shooting those.

Just an ordinary guy who loves to shoot air rifles and uses those attainable by all, I have never had a competition team behind me picking and choosing and tuning my rifle for me. Just shoot ordinary rifles that anyone can buy.

So yep, a good shooter is required. However without a good rifle to combine with the skill, it is a hopeless situation for anyone. Hand me one of those Marauders and I will just grin at you. I call that an exercise of futility as the rifle is not capable . It is a hunting rifle and does its job at its designed range and it is not a target rifle.

Well let me shut up, just killing time , in summary it is both the rifle and the shooter. However the bottom line is without a decent rifle no shooter can do their best.

Cheers
Kit

Reactions: Mg616 and pdxFrank