• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A What is the most accurate.177 PCP at 100yds all opinions welcome???

So...you buy an accurate gun ! Most...today are right there, with your accuracy wish.

BUT...how about...you ? How accurate are you ? The gun can be the most accurate, and tuned by the best in the business, but the person pulling the trigger...?
Ah ,yes, sand bags, mono, bi, tri pods with six legged tables for stability...

MIke

Reactions: cavedweller
My FX Crown MKII with a 600 mm barrel is pretty good, but I have a RAW HM 1000x on order to see if it's better.

FX Crown MKII .177 at 100 yd.jpg

I am shooting in a gun club only, 100 M rings with my .25x700 Impact MK2, JSB 34 gn MK1's and MK2's. Probably well over 20 K shots so far in past 2-3 years with this setup. I am currently emptying my .25 cal tins and planning to move to an other caliber for 100 M.
For shooting 100 M distances and consistently hitting rings with satisfying results - we need a mass (to length ratio) in the projectile to hold the POI.
What people claiming that the .177 cal can do dis-and-dat @ 100 M is - a result of their lifetime stubborn dedication that wanna proof the impossible.
To simplify...if you looking to buy a new gun/barrel for 100 M rings shooting ...
Go with either .22 heaviest possible slugs you can get for that calibre, that means the projectile will be longer for average magazine,
or .30 pellets, again prepare a lot of air power for these.

Shooting a .177 at 100 yards or beyond definitely requires shooting slugs and not pellets 👍🙂🎯

I shoot my Daystate Red Wolf .177 HP, Daystate Delta Wolf .177 HP, Daystate Alpha Wolf .177 HP and my BRK Ghost .177 HP at 100 meters or 110 yards with great results 👍🙂🎯

These metal targets are shot at 150 meters or 164 yards with 10 shots sub MOA groupings 👍🙂🎯

IMG_1305.jpeg

IMG_2611.jpeg

This day and age, i would for sure get a rifle that would allow you to up the caliber if that is possible where you are and you get bored with the .177 stuff.
Hell i am even contemplating ordering a .22 upgrade kit, and then just pray it do not get caught in customs.

Here it is stupid you need a hunting licence to get larger caliber, CUZ there are barely anything you can legally hunt with a air rifle here, and it is a quite new fact at that.
IMO higher caliber, and i am ok with .22 - .25 and maybe .30 should of course necessitate a gun safe and a course in proper gun safety, and registering your weapons, but then you should just be 18 as far as i go.
But the goggles i wear are also completely different from the ones worn by the people in charge here.

Could be CUZ in the 70ties the trend here in child upbringing was freedom under responsibility, which soon got replaced by big brother know best.

There are some problems with your desires...
Several of the above posts have detailed good and bad about 100 yard 177 shooting. I plink a lot at various ranges up to 208 on my range and would not depend on any 177 except with the heavier slugs at longer ranges. I shot this at 100 with a 12 ft lb Steyr and 8.4 gn pellets in virtually no wind. The first 3 are touching but I could register the faintest change and held a little but still went left. On the fifth, I could feel just the slightest more change and held about 1" more and still went more left. It's a very good group and if the wind hadn't changed, would likely be all touching. To be clear here, the wind was so low, even with the felt change, didn't move my wind flag ribbons at all !
20200913_173601.jpg

20200913_173545.jpg

Now that was at 12 ft lb. The problem I've had has been stability. My wifes Red Wolf would likely do this in good conditions with 16.1s at 33 ft lb but they seem to go unstable somewhere around 85 yards. It can get sub moa for a lot of the shots but the ones that fly are really bad. These represent to me the best long range option because they are heavier and the best bc... just can't get them stable for that kind of distances. Now I've seen 10.3s and 13.4 MRD's stay stable much further but they blow a lot more in the wind so they are MUCH more difficult and critical to judge wind with.
All I'm trying to portray here is that though the 177 CAN shoot in really good conditions @ 100, trying to do that in any kind of wind will be quite difficult. It's already difficult enough with pellets that are twice the bc !
Now slugs might be a different matter. I've documented my fun with the 20 gn NSA's and had them shoot well to over 200 yds. The 16 gn area slugs seem to be about the best for the 1 in 17 twist barrels though.
Good luck on your search !
Bob

Shooting a .177 at 100 yards or beyond definitely requires shooting slugs and not pellets 👍🙂🎯

I shoot my Daystate Red Wolf .177 HP, Daystate Delta Wolf .177 HP, Daystate Alpha Wolf .177 HP and my BRK Ghost .177 HP at 100 meters or 110 yards with great results 👍🙂🎯

These metal targets are shot at 150 meters or 164 yards with 10 shots sub MOA groupings 👍🙂🎯

View attachment 467473

View attachment 467474
Wow is that impressive!

Wanting some feedback as to what my new .177 should be, looking for superior accuracy at 100 yds or more?
I see you are in Ohio. Consider coming to our N50 match Tuesday 5/28 at 10am and talk with us in person about your goals.

We have some .177 shooters. They shot our N50 (50Y Benchrest) match with .177’s and guess what they showed up with at the next match?

I have had pretty good success shooting various NSA Slugs out of my Air Arms S510 Tactical. For whatever reason, this one came from PA shooting HOT (around 27 FPE in .177!). The 12.5gr NSA's are singing along around 920 or so and they will consistently shoot around 1.5" or so at 100.

Even though the slugs do better than pellets, in .177 they are so susceptible to the wind I feel like I'm shooting .25 pellets lol.

YMMV.

Wanting some feedback as to what my new .177 should be, looking for superior accuracy at 100 yds or more?

Is there a specific reason it has to be .177? Based on your desire to have accuracy at 100+ yds, .177 is simply not the best tool for the job unless you have external constraints that make .177 the only option.

If there are no such constraints, then perhaps consider expanding your horizons into the larger calibers that will be more effective at 100+ yds.

I’ve heard the Redwolf mentioned several times in this conversation. I have no doubt it’s an amazing wpn but wow that price tag !!!
Your cheap Chinese PCPs are not going to be 100 yard guns. Daystate, FX, American Air Arms, BSA and Air Arms is where I would look for the quality and accuracy at 100 yards. Most of the rifles from those brands can out shoot the "shooter" in many cases at 100 yards.

Is there a specific reason it has to be .177? Based on your desire to have accuracy at 100+ yds, .177 is simply not the best tool for the job unless you have external constraints that make .177 the only option.

If there are no such constraints, then perhaps consider expanding your horizons into the larger calibers that will be more effective at 100+ yds.
The 100 yard matches that I compete in have no caliber restraints excya power limit of 100 fpe. I, and ott, have used everything up to 30 cal. This range always has turbulent conditions. We have national competitors here that use highly developed rifles and are darned good marksmen. Anyone can win on any day. I just like the challenge. That’s why I’m trying to make a .177 competitive. I think I have, but the marksmanship is up to me.

The 100 yard matches that I compete in have no caliber restraints except power limit of 100 fpe. I, and others, have used everything up to 30 cal. This range always has turbulent conditions. We have national competitors here that use highly developed rifles and are darned good marksmen. Anyone can win on any day. I just like the challenge. That’s why I’m trying to make a .177 competitive. I think I have, but the marksmanship is up to me.