• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A What is the most accurate.177 PCP at 100yds all opinions welcome???

I have had pretty good success shooting various NSA Slugs out of my Air Arms S510 Tactical. For whatever reason, this one came from PA shooting HOT (around 27 FPE in .177!). The 12.5gr NSA's are singing along around 920 or so and they will consistently shoot around 1.5" or so at 100.

Even though the slugs do better than pellets, in .177 they are so susceptible to the wind I feel like I'm shooting .25 pellets lol.

YMMV.
@nicco5999 What is your power wheel set at? 5?

There are some problems with your desires...
Several of the above posts have detailed good and bad about 100 yard 177 shooting. I plink a lot at various ranges up to 208 on my range and would not depend on any 177 except with the heavier slugs at longer ranges. I shot this at 100 with a 12 ft lb Steyr and 8.4 gn pellets in virtually no wind. The first 3 are touching but I could register the faintest change and held a little but still went left. On the fifth, I could feel just the slightest more change and held about 1" more and still went more left. It's a very good group and if the wind hadn't changed, would likely be all touching. To be clear here, the wind was so low, even with the felt change, didn't move my wind flag ribbons at all !
View attachment 467478
View attachment 467479
Now that was at 12 ft lb. The problem I've had has been stability. My wifes Red Wolf would likely do this in good conditions with 16.1s at 33 ft lb but they seem to go unstable somewhere around 85 yards. It can get sub moa for a lot of the shots but the ones that fly are really bad. These represent to me the best long range option because they are heavier and the best bc... just can't get them stable for that kind of distances. Now I've seen 10.3s and 13.4 MRD's stay stable much further but they blow a lot more in the wind so they are MUCH more difficult and critical to judge wind with.
All I'm trying to portray here is that though the 177 CAN shoot in really good conditions @ 100, trying to do that in any kind of wind will be quite difficult. It's already difficult enough with pellets that are twice the bc !
Now slugs might be a different matter. I've documented my fun with the 20 gn NSA's and had them shoot well to over 200 yds. The 16 gn area slugs seem to be about the best for the 1 in 17 twist barrels though.
Good luck on your search !
Bob
Excellent post

Reactions: coastal drifter
I have on the occasion of a calm day shot 2-1/4" groups at 100 yards with my.22 BRCK Sniper, using 18gr jsb pellets. It was my first go at 100 yds and I posted the results here.
Just the other day I shot one of my FX Royale 22s at the same distance resting off my truck bed again shooting at a plastic beer bottle target at 100 yds hanging in a tree, very light breeze. I was able to hit it 11 of 12 times (full clip) more than once trying to get 12 for 12, and that includes the bottle swinging mildly at times from the breeze and from the previous hit. So pellets can work at 100 yds.
This is even more unbelievable because I have a cheap CenterPoint 4-16 scope on the FX and it was sighted at 35 yards. I did the trajectory and cranked in 18" elevation and hit the first shot. Not bad for a junk $89 scope I got on my FX when I bought it used!

Reactions: coastal drifter
It’s odd that you want superior accuracy and don’t expect a superior price tag attached to it. You get what pay for, but again, you are still at the mercy of ballistics and the wind
Yes I’m aware of that, I love my FXs and my BRK. Owned a Daystate Huntsman for a while and wasn’t impressed. The Redwolf sounds like a step above though

So...you buy an accurate gun ! Most...today are right there, with your accuracy wish.

BUT...how about...you ? How accurate are you ? The gun can be the most accurate, and tuned by the best in the business, but the person pulling the trigger...?
Ah ,yes, sand bags, mono, bi, tri pods with six legged tables for stability...

MIke
I was on the US Marine Pistol Rifle competition team for a few years, so ya I’m decent with a firearm 👍

Reactions: cavedweller
I'm interested in seeing some targets at 100 . 4 , 5 shot groups and group size average. .177 doesn't seem like a popular choice for 100y groups. Mine is limited to 50 max unless I'm goofing around shooting cans or like items .

And the slower 12 fpe .177 was actually more accurate at 100y ?
I wouldn’t even attempt shooting pellets at that range, looking for pure high power slug gun !

I think the Viking Airgunner's YouTube videos (http://www.youtube.com/@VikingAirgunner) are useful for understanding the capability and limitations of a .177 shooting long-range. Also, he tried a few pellets and slugs, so you can use them as a reference. By the way, he uses FX Impact, which I don't own, but I still learnt a lot from him.
Watch him on a regular basis love his stuff