• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A What is the most accurate.177 PCP at 100yds all opinions welcome???

Wanting some feedback as to what my new .177 should be, looking for superior accuracy at 100 yds or more?
Well a .177 at 100 yards or more is very much at the mercy of the wind and gravity. If you are looking for a 100 yard airgun you need either a slug gun or a bigger caliber but perhaps you should consider studying the trajectory of a Diablo pellet moving at a stable speed of 910 fps; even a 16.1 gr will require significant holdover

I’ve heard the Redwolf mentioned several times in this conversation. I have no doubt it’s an amazing wpn but wow that price tag !!!
It’s odd that you want superior accuracy and don’t expect a superior price tag attached to it. You get what pay for, but again, you are still at the mercy of ballistics and the wind

for me it was my RAW hm1000 with 13gr ZAN at 920fps with a standard 12 grove barrel. no groups but i headshoted multiple sparrows at 100 . by far the best riffle i ever owned. No POI shift , speed was always consistent and the most importand the first few shots was always on point no fps loss . the main reason i sold the RAW was part availability in europe and RAW never responds at inquiries

lighter pellets are pushed around easier in the wind and lose velocity fast, that's why you don't see them in 100 yard BR competitions. I'm with cavedweller on this one. If I was looking for 100+ yard accuracy I would look at .25cal and larger unless your talking about slugs. I like to shoot/plink a lot and for me slugs are expensive and use twice the air a pellet does.

IMO at that distance + the pea caliber, you have to do slugs, or let me rephrase, i have not been able to get good consistency with pellets at that distance, or that is the 86 M / 92 yards i shoot.
So with pellets i need a 5" target to have most of my shots land on that, and of course a calm day, even more so than shooting slugs.
And there is a reason we Danes are early adopters and front runners on wind energy. ( plenty of wind and often )

But a rifle that handle slugs well ( 13 grain is okay ) and you can shoot 1" 5 shot groups without too much sweat.
But on the average days with some wind, well groups do get a little more erratic due to that but you should still be able to hold your shots within a 2" target or at the very least 3" target.
you can get heavier slugs in 16 and 20 grain, just the rifles / barrels currently on the market in all the brands, cant really shoot those, or at least not as well as i would like.

Soren drost on here and on Youtube, he also push his daystate rifles out far for a .177 / 4.5 mm rifle

There is good enjoyment to be had with the little caliber for sure, but you still need to get a " expensive " rifle none the less to get that reach and accuracy.
Closer is also fun if you reduce your target size to even less, like the hole size you shoot at that distance, or maybe even smaller targets like blades of grass or stems of flowers or weeds growing in the field.

I shoot after flies every chance i get at any distance, but out at 86 M / 92 Yards i have only killed one so far, but i have drilled holes very close to the fly often.
So sousing my target backing cardboard in some form os sugar water like the pop i drink ASO, well that is a must.
Later in the year i put Apples ASO in the field and shoot at flies / wasps / whatever land on them.

Given a chance, i would step up to .22 / 5.5 mm but only really for a little bit more wind tolerance ( i assume ) and then the ability to reach out ever further, and that's even if our range only go as far as 130 M with the new cabin to shoot from.

My current long range rifle is my FX Maverick fitted with a 700 mm Heavy barrel that i feel are a little better than the standard FX barrel with the 13 gr slugs from Zan.
But if you get a standard barrel, for sure no reason to run and get a heavy one, for me it feel very marginal with the 2 options in FX and that caliber, like said above no problem holding lead on a 2" target if things are dialed in well.
In FX the twist rate on the two .177 barrel options are the same, so i gladly shoot pellets with the heavy barrel too, and i do most often change to pellets if i shoot shorter then 50 M CUZ slugs feel overkill at the short distances.

For me around 960 FPS are the sweet speed for 13 grain Zan in my Maverick

I shot this group at 86 M on friday with the regular STX barrel on my Maverick, sadly i pulled the 4 shot so it whent R a little bit, but at least i managed to get the #5 shot in there, it is usually that one i mess up on.

STX group.jpg

Here’s two five shot groups at 130 yards using knockout 13.43 grain slugs at 1000 fps out of my RedWolf HP .177, it’s incredibly accurate with those slugs.
The bunch of shots on the disk is at 100 yards, same rifle and slug.
The second group would have been a personal best if the last shot stayed in the group!
In my opinion the RedWolf is worth the pain to the wallet!

IMG_6709.jpeg

IMG_6710.jpeg

IMG_6706.jpeg

I am confident 1/2 " groups are possible at 100 yards, but the shooter and rifle have to be dripping sugar due to the sweet setup and tune.

Quite a few factors to deal with, and it is rare i hit exactly where i aim, i more deal in acceptable deviation when i shoot.
Those 2" splatter targets it take me quite a few shots to annihilate that little der dot, even if 1 shot dead on more or less will do it.
But i will be making big holes right next to it ASO and it will look like Swiss cheese before i reach my goal.

But i have good fun, and this time of the year it is not uncommon to blast strait thru 2 tins of 13 grain slugs, and 3 tins not unheard off, that's 1200 shots.
By then i am also the proud owner of what i call " scope eye ", CUZ if you dont take breaks its just messed up