• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the best way to clear a pellet jam? Avenge X

I've fired just over 600 rounds in my Avenge X with no issues and now today a I've got a major 3 car pellet disaster inside my barrel. Not sure how this happened and what caused it but I was firing at a target and noticed no hit on it or around. Thought I must have just missed and so I fired again, same thing but accompanied with a slightly different sound than I normally hear. I fire one more time into the ground in front of me and FINALLY it dawns on me that nothing is coming out and I have now fired two pellets into the first that never exited the barrel. As I point the weapon up and down I can hear loose pieces that I can only hope and assume are from the pellets.

My question now is what is the best way to try and clear this and ideas what caused it....defective or pinched pellet upon entering the chamber? Have I now done damage to my barrel?

I'm not familiar with that rifle, but if it were any one of mine, I'd start by removing the barrel. If decocked, there can still be air in the plenum, so it is necessary to keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction. If that isn't possible, then first degas the rifle and plenum, again keeping it in a safe position. If neither the magazine nor probe are involved or damaged, then once the barrel is off your job is mostly done. At least you are no longer dealing with compressed air.

Reactions: Opfor and Gerry52
Yep. As long as you're not hammering on the action, it should be safe to hammer the pellets out with something (e.g. aforementioned dowel - I'd add, hardwood dowel, not that junk at Home Despot. If that seems like too much, you can drill out the center, but use a drill much smaller than your bore. You don't ever want the drill to touch your bore. Start into the mess on high speed and low feed (so it doesn't deflect), then go to low speed and try to drill through. Doing so should make the hammering much easier. A final solution is high pressure grease, but unless you have a lathe, that's probably for someone else to do.

GsT

Fairly common occurrence, just happened today. I've a tape-covered metal (.177) 3-piece cleaning rod with brass tip, carefully inserted at muzzle tapped jammed pellet back into magazine and removed. (Avoid direct metal contact with barrel crown to avoid damage.) I've had to remove barrel, dis-assemble magazine, cut jammed pellet with extended box cutter blade and even shoot double feeds out to resolve cases of jamming. Depends on the situation, best advice is don't panic and start forcing stuff, that rarely helps. WM

Reactions: Opfor and rcs9250
Appreciate all the replies, didn't have time to dig into this unit now as I was on my lunch break. So good news and bad news, the good news is that there are no pellets stuck inside the barrel. Upon shining a light down the barrel it was crystal clear, so I unscrewed the shroud and somehow a pellet managed to strike the internal baffle located at the last 2-3", photo below.

Very concerning how this would have happened and more importantly how to keep it from happening again. As I mentioned earlier, only had this weapon for about 4 weeks and about 600 shots thru it. Pyramid did send me an RMA as soon as I had them on the phone and said I should receive a new replacement upon returning this one.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Airgun561
Appreciate all the replies, didn't have time to dig into this unit now as I was on my lunch break. So good news and bad news, the good news is that there are no pellets stuck inside the barrel. Upon shining a light down the barrel it was crystal clear, so I unscrewed the shroud and somehow a pellet managed to strike the internal baffle located at the last 2-3", photo below.

Very concerning how this would have happened and more importantly how to keep it from happening again. As I mentioned earlier, only had this weapon for about 4 weeks and about 600 shots thru it. Pyramid did send me an RMA as soon as I had them on the phone and said I should receive a new replacement upon returning this one.

View attachment 413251
Oh look at that!interesting