• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the best tasting critter?

What is the best tasting of the following? Feel free to share recipe -

• Squirrel

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Racoon

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rabbit

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Crow

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Magpie

• Chipmunk

• Gopher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boar

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
Of the "critters" listed in the "poll", without a doubt rabbit is the best tasting. According to my father anyway...

I don't shoot rabbits and have only eaten rabbit once. It was MUCH better than tree rat. (smile)

However, considering the other "critters" included in the list, like Chipmunks, I have to consider this post is really a joke.

Oh well, JMHO...

All my best!

Kerry
Kerry, you'll figure it out when the time comes :)

I guess it depends upon which animal(s) you’re asking. I don’t think humans eat some of those. For me, none of the above. Moose meat was the best to me. Hands down. A cut of moose steak, grilled over a wood embers. And where’s venison? How did deer not make the list?
Critters as in smaller animals. That's why :)

Rabbit, squirrel, upland bird

1 large or 2-3 medium-sized game quartered into proportionate serving-sized pieces
Chestnut flour or flour equivalent for dredging (Aunt Jamaima's pancake mix is really good too)
salt to taste
ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
1 cup semi dry red wine
2 tablespoons brandy
1 cup tomato juice or puree
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons bacon drippings, lard or olive oil
2-4 ounces smoked bacon cut into ½ inch pieces
medium-sized onion, diced
8-16 ounces fresh wild mushrooms
2 Tablespoons finely sliced garlic
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

Season the game pieces with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Add the meat to a hot skillet and brown deeply in lard on medium-high heat, not cooking completely through.

Remove the meat to a paper plate. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Add the sliced garlic to the pan and cook, adding fat as needed until the garlic is lightly browned, and aromatic. Add the onion, mushrooms, butter and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring until lightly browned.

Add the browned meat, wine, chicken stock, tomatoes, then transfer the pan to the oven and cook at 325 for 45 minutes to an hour, covered, until the meat starts to separate from the bone.

Remove the meat from the stock, add brandy, thicken the mixture on the stove on meduim heat, stirring occasionally. Add some starch if necessary, to complete the gravy.

Serve meat and gravy with wild rice and roasted red potatoes or something equivalent.
A recipe I will most certainly give a try. Thank you for that! Mucho Gracias

Reactions: coastal drifter
@SonOfASlug Gotcha. Well if that's the case the boar threw me off because they generally grow into large animals in Texas. Rabbit, then squirrel according to the list. Although I've only eaten three animals listed.
I take all these critters with a .25 cal. Smaller boars of course. The only one I do not eat is Racoon and Gopher. But, I know a few guys that like both. I've not tried either and don't plan to. Maybe if someone cooked it I'd give it a go :)