N/A What is the best round for long-range hunting

Guys I think we can all agree that there were multiple red flags here. Multiple posts in quick succession by a new account, asking about big bores for 200-250yds (within city limits apparently?), and not to mention the guy was in fact looking through the classifieds at the time of making these posts. I think we can probably move on though. The room was read wrong and goes to prove how red flags can't always be used for judgment.

OP, I'd limit your expectations for closer to 100yds on game that size. If you're looking for a long range target gun that would be a different story, but they can still be one and the same. The Texan will get the job done for deer inside 100 and still do very well at long range for however far you want to throw lead. I just wouldn't be thinking about doming a whitetail at 250yds. On a boar? Ethically that is up to you.

I am pretty sure that was said jokingly.
I would hope so but there was ZERO indication that he might have been. The response certainly seemed legit and not joking since his reply was a reply to something to take a deer at the ranges he was asking about.

TRL I would hope you are helping him navigate the site since he's apparently a friend, instead of blindly defending or justifying things from him. Yes some responses were a bit harsh at times, however there were many red flags and concerns, and some of his responses were a bit harsh too.

Yes he is a friend ! And I told him to check out the site . I don't think he spends any time on any forums ? So this is all new to him . Starting to feel like I threw him to the wolves .
Well then help him out. He is obviously floundering and he is YOUR friend. If he is talking about shooting deer in city limits he's advocating an illegal activity unless your city has a special season.

There is a rule about advocating illegal activity maybe YOU should learn the rules on this forum.

And for that matter the questions remain. Have either of you reached the age of majority?

Last edited:
I am sure he has not seen any of this as he is competing at a ELR centerfire match today . I am only 63 , so I am sure most are much wiser than I . I thank you for your concern .
Fair enough. He is a PB shooter, with a wry sense of humor and zero knowledge of forums.

Not a 14 year old who intends to shoot deer in his back yard in town. That is comforting.

Meanwhile consider your own responsibility to your friend. Have him read the rules.

By the way, the last time we checked the average age on this forum was 56 years. So there are a LOT of VERY experienced shooters here.

Well then help him out. He is obviously floundering and he is YOUR friend. If he is talking about shooting deer in city limits he's advocating an illegal activity unless your city has a special season.

There is a rule about advocating illegal activity maybe YOU should learn the rules on this forum.

And for that matter the questions remain. Have either of you reached the age of majority?
You edited your post . What is the majority age ? Are you discriminating me because of my age !!! ?
See how easy it is to take a statment out of context !

Reactions: beerthief
If you have ever shot any black powder, the larger bore airguns 357, 9mm, 45, and 50 or even 72 caliber can be thought of as LOW POWERED black powder rifles. All of the calibers I mentioned will shot above super sonic in a BP rifle with a round ball (72 will have a hard time). Very few (I know of none) airguns of similar caliber will break the sound barrier with an RB.

Since you guys are both PB shooters you should be able infer many answers from that analogy, including my age. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: trlrman
Asking what is the best round for long range hunting is like asking the same question for centerfire rifles. Way too many variables.

For me, I stick with cast lead from NSA or Bob Vogel, and I cast my own for 'good enough' plinking to 50 yards with my big bores. I dont have the patience nor the inclination to buy a custom mold for my particular guns and spend hours testing. However, that is a part of the hobby that some big bore enthusiasts really enjoy and more power to them.

I find the NSA and Vogel bullets do just fine for me at the ranges that I'm comfortable at with a big bore, which tends to hover around the 50 yard mark. That doesnt speak to the limitation of the guns, just a limit I place on myself with where I'm comfortable.

Just like with ELR centerfire, I think you'll find those that tend to do long range make their own. I'm currently in the process of working out a load for my 6.5Cmoor. I can spend the premium for Hornady ELD-M and bust steel at 850 yards all day, but since I reload, I'm making my own. Think you'll find the same with big bore airgunners.
Edit... and welcome to the forum, sir!