N/A What is the best round for long-range hunting

For long range hunting (and even longer range silhouette shooting), these NSA .457 350 grain BT-HP swaged slugs are probably the best bet out there with their long range stability, bc, and accuracy. Rebated boat tail slugs are one of the best longer range slug designs to shoot out of airguns. This slug will probably get you the best long range penetration on deer and hogs too. Simply tune the gun and size the slug's diameter accordingly to shoot out of the barrel for the tightest groups.

Screenshot_20231016-121236~2.png

Last edited:
For long range hunting (and even longer range silhouette shooting), these NSA .457 350 grain BT-HP swaged slugs are probably the best bet out there with their long range stability, bc, and accuracy. Rebated boat tail slugs are one of the best longer range slug designs to shoot out of airguns. This slug will probably get you the best long range penetration on deer and hogs too. Simply tune the gun and size the slug's diameter accordingly to shoot out of the barrel for the tightest groups.

View attachment 397311
Very nice and fool I'll look into them

'long range hunting' is a contradiction in terms really, except in a very few specific scenarios ..99% of it is the 'looky what i did' mentality .. not hunting .. a good hunter gets closer .. and the round/power needs to fit the target .. youre not going after pigs with a .17, and wasting air and expensive ammo hunting squirrels with a .50 ..

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
'long range hunting' is a contradiction in terms really, except in a very few specific scenarios ..99% of it is the 'looky what i did' mentality .. not hunting .. a good hunter gets closer .. and the round/power needs to fit the target .. youre not going after pigs with a .17, and wasting air and expensive ammo hunting squirrels with a .50 ..
I think there is room for both close up and long range hunting. I do both. It depends on terrain and the quarry I am after. I respect both talents. One must understand stealth and movement for close range, and one must really know his dope and read wind well - and frankly be a better shooter - to be proficient a great distances. They both have a place - and a "good" hunter should be good with both styles of hunting.

Never understood the replies for people to just use the search function. If everyone did that, established forums would never have any new activity.
That's what I was thinking I don't want to know what someone did three four years ago I want to know what's currently going on with the new stuff

That's what I was thinking I don't want to know what someone did three four years ago I want to know what's currently going on with the new stuff
Then use the search function and sort by date. It really works well and will let you make more informed questions or to contribute to an existing thread addressing the topic.

Yes if the only info found is several years old, then post something new. But to have multiple threads in the same time period scatters the info and makes it more difficult to find later.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Never understood the replies for people to just use the search function. If everyone did that, established forums would never have any new activity.
Its very simple really. When done it shows the op is lazy and not willing to put in any effort to look at the info that is readily available. Especially when there are multiple recent threads about it. So often if you look at the forum you can even see threads on the same page regarding the topic. Now if they have searched but didnt find an answer to the question its different. So the replies pointing out using the search function are totally justified.

Also if the only info is several years old, asking if its still accurate or relevant is a good thing. But to have multiple threads in the same time period scatters the info and makes it more difficult to find later. You see this time and time again, people wanting things spoon fed to them vs doing the effort themselves.

I was looking at sightron scopes and trying to determine what made everyone rave about them for field target. I searched and sorted by date. I read all the posts regarding the scope. It didnt answer why they were so recommended. I was able to ask more informed questions and get better feedback from those with the experience.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Best round for long range is the one with the highest ballistic coefficient.

"In ballistics, the ballistic coefficient (BC, Cb) of a body is a measure of its ability to overcome air resistance in flight.[1] It is inversely proportional to the negative acceleration:"

This is a very basic principle and IF this guy was a SERIOUS competitive shooter he should know this and then DHOR (do his own research) because clearly asking a highly opinionated based forum is going to get clashing answers. Most manufacturers, slugs included, provide their ballistic co-efficient.

For example, quickly looking at NSA slugs...

A 20.5GR .177 round has a BC of .075

A 55.5GR .25 round has a BC of .120

A 178GR .35 round has a BC of .2

A 388GR .5 round has a BC of .25

The question isn't which round is best from production rifles at long range...
Ask the question again next week, next month, and the exact answer may change, but the fundamental answer will not. Just my 2c...could literally write a book about this, in fact, there are books about this, far better than anything you'd extract from this thread. Such as this one:

Or the dozens of others..

-Matt

Ezana4CE was this the same welcome you received 2 years ago when you joined the forum ?
Heh! Check his thread about how to properly help newbies... someone just kicked new life into it.

Ya jist cain't make dis chit up... :sneaky: No hypocrisy in that house.
EZana4ce.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Garytx73