• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the best,cheapest way to ship an air rifle?

Bobbed06

Jun 14, 2016
I recently sold one of my break barrel air rifles, I was told the best way to ship is . Package it in the original box (I did) wrap it in Brown paper (I did) and was told by the buyer it should cost about $15 bux to go from WV to NY..... using the cheapest USPS option.

What carrier is the best to use for this situation? USPS or UPS? Any tips on keeping it cheap would be appreciated.

There's price and cost, I purchased several Benjamin pumps. I bought one from a reputable seller who included shipping. The pump was being sent from Ca, I told the shipper send it as cheap as you can "I'm in no rush" some three plus weeks later it arrived. It was about 8.00 more to send it faster w/delivery confirmation.. More recently I purchased one from a seller in Co. he too included shipping, I voluntarily bumped the price and asked for a prompt more secure shipping. I guess prices vary by usage, I got a Cricket stock from Ga Airguns to NY for 12.00 I shipped a Marauder stock to the same state for 21.00

Kinda figures my first post here would be on packing/shipping. It's a touchy subject for me. 

'Cheapest' is great for the right items, in the right box. Your's may be. (seriously).
But you are the one at risk when shipping so 'original box' is a great starting point. If it were me, I'd generally have 2 more boxes involved or at least 1 more with padding and reinforcement between the layers. Insured shipping cross country usually runs me about $75 on top of my packaging costs (I use boxes on hand or make them from cardboard I keep around but honestly a full hour of packing isn't unusual for me)..

It's touchy for me because I've spend really good money on stuff shipped to me that was packed in such a way that I would not have even trusted around the block in my truck as packed. Much less traveling through multiple transfers cross country. 

What would you do if you get an email that that the stock is broken in half... ? (answers differ on a $100 rifle and a $2000 rifle)

Jeff

I've shipped the same rifle in the same boxes by both USPS and UPS. USPS wins hands down for price. Almost $20 more by UPS. It costs me about $52 to send a 6.5 pound air rifle from KY to Oklahoma recently. About $35 to send one state over, KY to IL (that was a 9 pound Wolverine). 

I keep the original packing. I pack the rifle the way it was sent to me and have had no issues. I make sure nothing in the package will move. Shipping something heavy and long like an air rifle is expensive and when you add $700-2000 for insurance, it adds up quick. Better safe than sorry though. Last thing I want is the torture of trying to recover a damaged item let alone the disappointment for the person who is supposed to receive the rifle in perfect shape.

I have shipped well over 50 rifles in the past 10 yrs. No, not exaggerating. If I have the original box I will ship double boxed in the original box with packing in between the boxes. If I don't have the original boxes I will separate the stock from the action and again ship double boxed, Why? smaller box is usually a little less costly and it does not look like a rifle.
Shippers in order of preference FedEx then USPS. After 2 back to back bad experiences with UPS I will never ship UPS again unless the buyer requests UPS.
Cost depends on size of box, weight and distance. If I'm paying for the shipping I will usually price both USPS and FedEx, if the cost difference is 5-10 bux then I ship FedEx. I trust FedEx.
I don't save all the boxes but I do save all the heavy duty packing paper and the bubble wrap.
I have paid as little as $15.00 and as much as $65.00.

As a private seller, UPS really doesn't want your business - servicing companies is their main business. I know from experience that unless an item is outright lost, getting them to honor an insurance claim for damage is next to impossible because they almost always claim inadequate packing. I prefer USPS but things have changed in recent years. I live in OH and the shipping cost to the different postal zones varies widely. I recently mailed a 13 lb. double boxed airgun and before I listed it for sale, I checked prices for Priority mail to many parts of the continental US on the USPS website. The cheapest was $20 for cities close by and the most expensive was the west cost which was $51. $450 insurance was $6.70 extra no matter where it went. In most cases, ground shipping wasn't even available as an option and even when in was the cost savings was only about $5. Long story short, it makes a huge difference how far away you need to ship.

And a word of advice, great packing is the best insurance. A lot of airguns are pretty heavy and they're pointy on one end. I recently bought an Mrod and although the seller went to a lot of effort padding and double boxing, the gun was able to move inside the inner (factory) box. USPS dropped the box on the barrel end and the barrel poked all the way through BOTH boxes and the barrel shroud was damaged. So it's really important to pad in a way that the gun can't shift inside the box and that you have the end of the barrel heavily padded to prevent if from being a punch.

And by the way, I wouldn't recommend wrapping the factory box in brown paper and mailing it that way - that's just asking for damage. IMO

Just wanted to share a recent experience I have with shipping guns. I recently bought an Impact barrel, probe and magazine from a member on here. He shipped it via USPS Priority. The tracking showed that it left his State however afterwards it stopped. I messaged him after a week telling him that I think it is lost since Priority mail only takes about 3 days max. He was very professional and suggested that I give him a couple of more days. After almost 2 weeks, he refunded the money back into my Paypal. In the mean while, I had an Air cylinder that was leaking and needed to send to Ernest for repair. Seeing how shipping could get lost, I decided to put a $1000 insurance on it to make sure I can get my money back in case if happens. Well, after almost 3 days with the tracking number not showing any movement, I got worried. On the fourth day, the tracking showed it arrived. 

So the bottom line is, if you are going to ship a gun. Make sure you have proper paperwork in case you have to file a claim (its not as easy as you think). I looked it up thinking I lost my air cylinder. Take lots of picture and document. Buy proper insurance and tracking number to be safe. 

I no longer use UPS because of my losses due to their service. The first loss was a gun I shipped to Pennsylvania. According to their tracking service the gun arrived at their local office, and then disappeared. Making a claim was time consuming, and the fact that I had sold the gun for $125 was insufficient proof for UPS that the gun was worth $125. I had to spend a couple of hours searching the internet to find another ad for the rifle to satisfy them.

The second gun I made the mistake of shipping in a box marked "Daisy". The box took two days to travel the ten miles from my local UPS office to the transfer point. It arrived at my buyer in a completely different box, missing the trigger guard and trigger plate. UPS then charged me an extra $2.50 because the box was larger than the one I had entrusted to their care. I considered making a Paypal counterclaim, but it was not worth the trouble.

I now ship only via USPS click and ship. I print the label at home and then drop it off at the PO The package is tracked and I have never had a problem with a package.

Well I have to agree with tiptop about UPS. I tried to get a business account set up and they was none to friendly about helping me out. I have ship over 350 air guns the last 10 years and it bend mainly USPS. I have ship (3) Benjamin 310-312-317 tripled wrap in one large Game Board Box. 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" $18.85. Most PO don't have them but you can order them on line and have them delivered free. I all so check and used FedEx threw account from Gun Brokers. If I am shipping large package I check both. I never pay extra for insurance because it never works out for a claim. I have spent $1100 with USPS and FedEx $250 the last 10 months. I am shipping because I am selling and repairing air guns as a hobby.

Any service can lose your package. Anyone who has had bad luck or trouble with one of the shipping services is no better or worse off using a different one in that respect.

What do you think happens when a package gets "lost"? The most likely scenario is that somebody stole It. large boxes of air gun don't just disappear without a trace. Thieves work at all of the shipping companies. 

The USPS guy who delivers to my house regularly delivers others people's packages to me. I've confronted him about it twice and I get a bizarre vacant confused look like I just woke him up. That's the other way packages get "lost". 

The most important thing is to double check what insurance you have actually bought. I thought I was buying insurance at FedEx when I was declaring a value but I was told recently that FedEx don't actually offer insurance. I'm not sure why they ask me to declare a value...

Also, make sure you know documentation is required to make a claim before you send. 

They all break stuff too. FedEx snapped a solid steel 2 ton laminating press of mine like it was a twig. Pack your stuff as though someone will drop an elephant on it...