What is the best $400 to $800 scope?

I have never owned an Arken, but I do have multiple Athlons....The Midas Tac is my favorite scope in your price range. I have one on my FT rifle and 1 on my 22 Crown that I hunt with. I have numerous other Athlons also, and their warranty is outstanding!!!!!! I had dropped a Midas Tac on the ground while getting ready to mount it and of course it landed on the front bell and bent it. Didn't change the way the scope worked just the way it looked.....I sent Athlon an email and they said send it in. A few weeks later I received a new scope in the mail no questions asked.

Tony P.

I agree 100% with Tony.

I've got two of the 6-24x Midas Tacs and think very highly of them, to the point that I've not been in the market for a new scope since I picked up the second one over a year ago. In this crazy hobby of always looking to the next big spend, it's really nice to not have that looming over me in the scope department.

Reactions: pesty3782
For me it would be the Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 2.5-15x50.
For my purposes, hunting and casual target shooting it check many boxes. Illumination, FFP, low enough magnification where I acn shoot offhand or track moving animals, high enough magnification where I can shoot for groups at 100 yards. Don't need any more magnification than that.

Buy each brand and scope you decide on in used condition then keep the preferred and sell the other one. You might even make some money. I have before.

If you have to have a new one decide by the feature set and things like if you prefer extra weight or don't want extra weight. Or maybe you prefer a 30mm tube vs a 34mm tube. Or maybe you might need illumination occasionally.
Make a list then go from there.

My favorite scope so far, mainly because of the feature set, is the Athlon Helos G2 6-24x56. The glass in the Midas TAC's are better but not by much.

I have the same Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 FFP as Elgreco, great scope incredible warranty. The Meopta Opitka 6 3-18x50 FFP is an incredible scope with wonderful glass, also the Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x50 FFP is another with stellar glass and turrets. Can get these @ CameraLand NY....
How would you compare the Ares ETR with the BTR? I am thinking of selling my BTR and pony up the extra $ for an ETR. Does it worth it?

How would you compare the Ares ETR with the BTR? I am thinking of selling my BTR and pony up the extra $ for an ETR. Does it worth it?
ETR has ED glass whereas the BTR has HD glass....ETR better glass and better turret feel. I think it is worth the extra coin. I also have MK Maching scope caps and magnification lever that is custom fit for Athlon, very well made...all 3 focus down to 10yds......

Last edited:
I too am looking for something in this price range for a hunting / FT gun. Is the 15 yard close focus on some of the Athlon's or other brands enough of a deficit to rule them out for FT? I don't shoot FT but have been thinking about starting up a local match and though I have several March scopes, I don't really have mid range priced scope to dedicate to an airgun.

I too am looking for something in this price range for a hunting / FT gun. Is the 15 yard close focus on some of the Athlon's or other brands enough of a deficit to rule them out for FT? I don't shoot FT but have been thinking about starting up a local match and though I have several March scopes, I don't really have mid range priced scope to dedicate to an airgun.
FT requires focus down to 10 yards . the 10 yard target is usually the smallest kill zone as in 3/8 or 1/2 inch

For competitive field target, not necessarily. But there are plenty of scopes that do 10y without complications so you might as well get one that does it.

David