• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is the best $400 to $800 scope?

I have the same Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 FFP as Elgreco, great scope incredible warranty. The Meopta Opitka 6 3-18x50 FFP is an incredible scope with wonderful glass, also the Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x50 FFP is another with stellar glass and turrets. Can get these @ CameraLand NY....
I'm going to second the Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP. This has been my go to hunting scope for a long time now. Things I especially appreciate are...1) best glass I've looked through...rate it right there with the Midas Tac 6-24 that I had. 2) awesome magnification range and awesome reticle...3) very forgiving eyebox, this makes it so much easier to hunt with vs some other position sensitive scopes 4) quality build and great turrets

Reactions: Ranchibi
+1 Midas TAC, However I have a Vector Taurus 6x24x 50 that gives it a run for the money and IMHO just looks better for my eyes...and I have heard good things about the Vector Optics Continental

I bought a new Vector Continental 5-30x56 in MIL a year ago.
I love the reticle which is most of the reason I chose it.
I also appreciate how light it is for the mag range.
Finally I like that it focuses down to 10Y.

However the turrets feel I find disappointing for the price and although certainly not bad these were not as nice as any of my current G2-ish Athlon's.
Additionally the lines on the turrets are slightly off from the indicator on the housing, like on the edge of the line at times depending on where I'm dialed. There is some lash, and they aren't very distinct feeling. I do like that these turrets lock.

Yes I am on the picky side when it comes to turrets but if it weren't for the mentioned positives I would have sold it by now.

I described "my scope/s" but not all eyes like the same glass and not all scopes of the same brand and model are exactly the same.
For example I've looked through a Athlon Argos G2 that for whatever reason had great looking glass while other Argos G2's had normal/for the price point, glass. And some G1's that had only acceptably decent glass which would fall behind my Vector by quite a bit.

Reactions: MBG
I'm an Athlon fan and would highly recommend then Midas Tac line and Helos BTR Gen2 line. Currently my go to scope is the 4-20x50. I think the Ares BTR HD line looks great also though havent owned one. Also owned an Ares ETR UHD which was fantastic just decided for an airgun was too much money to keep in one scope so sold it when the Helos BTR Gen2 line came out and got 2 scopes.

Also an Arken fan and have a SH4 Gen2 4-16x50 and today will be receiving a EPL4 4-16x44. I'm curious to see how it is. It will be in direct comparison with the Midas Tac 4-16x44 I owned in the past.

Reactions: steve123

What is the best $400 to $800 scope?​

Chadster73
Monday at 9:22 AM
I am looking to get a scope somewhere in this price range. I'd like to get something like an Arken or Athlon Midas Tac type scope?

For me the "best" scope for my best longer-range rifle was the Arken EPL4 6-24x50 which slips in right out of the gate of your price range. It is relatively compact, lightweight and has ELD Japanese glass. I must admit that Cyclops sold me on it when he reviewed it, plus the company was founded by military vets, of which I am one. 🍻 Get the Arkin Halo rings to go with it. Perfect height match for the Evol and Crown mags.

Arken-Evol1 (2).jpg

Arken-Evol (2).jpg

Arken-Evol2 (2).jpg