• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

what is the advantage of a fixed high power scope

Photographers have claimed for lots of years that fixed focal length lenses are way sharper (and many times, brighter) than zoom lenses. Same for scopes. I use the March Hi Master 48x fixed power because I shoot benchrest at known, fixed distances so ranging isn't necessary for me nor are hash marks on the reticle.

Reactions: Loufish
For known distance target shooting, with known target size, there really is no need for the added weight and lost optical qualities of the variable power scope. When the big Nightforce scopes came on the scene, they were 39.5 ounces (read just under 2.5 pounds), at the same time Leupold BR-Ds were a shade over 16 ounces. When asked by Leupold what we would pay for a better scope the answer was 4 ounces, money was not the cost, weight was... our LV guns were 10pound 8 ounces with scope and we would have to lose some barrel weight to make room for a better scope. 4 ounces was all we could bare at the time... Leupold built us the competition series at 20.3 ounces. Later March introduced the 42x50 at 23 ounces, but by that time we had transitioned to a lighter stock. It wasn't for a number of years before Nightforce got their variables down to 29.6 ounces, which still classified them in the "Boat Anchor" category as a benchrest scope.

Reactions: rsfrid
I had the Leupold 45x45 competition scope. Got rid of it (sent back to dealer as it had a loss of focus as I tracked around the card) and bought a Sightron Sll 36x42...hmmm, it was OK but not quite 'there'.
Bought the Sightron Slll ED 45x45 and it's absolutely lovely. Crisp, clear, tracks superbly, holds it's focus.
Have tried other benchrest club members vari power setups and they can't beat that Slll 45x45 for the clarity of the target.
Plus, as others mention..it's not a boat anchor.
An older member of the club (I'm only 75) looked through my new scope, said "Wow", and next day bought his own Slll ED 45x45.
Yes, hard to beat a good fixed power. Maybe if outdoors and fighting mirage you might want a vari so that you could wind the power back a bit.
For me, shooting only indoors, it's the fixed power all the time.

Reactions: rsfrid