• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is not obvious about a "K" baffle?

Finally got the chance to experiment with the baffles. couldn't use the spacers, so I improvised with a .85 spring from ACE hardware. I could cut the spring in half and fit the 5th baffle.

Using a rather generic DB meter from the app store I got the following results. Phone set at 10' from the front of the barrel and 8' to the right Test barrel was a 16" CZ .22 shooting 16gr PM Shorts @ 930fps. Ambient background was 55dB-60dB

90dB - airgun without baffles..baseline
85dB - airgun with DonnyFL Tatsu .25
86dB - 4 K-baffles
83dB - 4 K-baffles and DonnyFL Tatsu .25

With just the baffles installed the dB signature was just 1dB less efficient thatn the Tatsu. The results may have bee different with a .22 Tatsu..as the .25 is somewhat "over caliber"..so it's letting out more air..not sure that matters that much.

I'll redo the test when I have more time and a better dB app. I'm sure there's a good one out there. I'll also add a .25 and .22 Huma30mm to the test. I have a 20" .25 CZ barrel I can swap to check with 4 baffles..since they're sized for .25.

Initial impression is that the baffles are very effective..at least to my old ears. The affect on accuracy..is nil up to 20yds..hole on hole before..hole on hole after Will test further out next week.
We’re you able to ever do any more testing?

Here are the K baffles I make on my lathe and CNC mill.....
That stack I settle on is 2 long and 2 short k baffles in my shroud....
So the Pellet enter from the left and exit to the right........
k-baffle4.jpg

I have been making silencers for many, many years and I tried all kinds of different designs. Much of what I read here is old wives tales. I good moderator never hurts accuracy. Even the very best moderators are not whisper quiet. You do not get more measurable benefit with more than 3 baffles. The best baffle design deflects the accelerating air charge from racing past the pellet after barrel exit. That turbulence can disturb the projectile's flight path. That is why the the K baffle does not work well. Its deflection is not symmetrical. This same principal is why a uniform barrel crown is critical. Just as important as the baffle is the available charge expansion space. The more space you have, the quieter the moderator is. However, please remember that a good moderator attenuates the rushing air column both in front and behind the projectile. Therefore changing the differential pressure around the projectile slowing the projectile somewhat. In my experience my best performing moderators usually cost about 40 FPS in comparison to not having the moderator mounted. The best baffles I feel is the inverted cone for good symmetry. Do not underestimate the amount of force that is applied to these baffles, it is substantial. 3D printed plastic baffles do not hold up well.
"The best baffles I feel is the inverted cone for good symmetry."

Where can you buy the "best baffles" and how do you install?
I have a RTI Prophet Performance Compact in .22 and currently using a Silent Thunder Flax moderator.
It's fairly quiet, but I believe in "more is better".
Thanks Bill R