What is "lights out" referring to how a gun shoots?

When I see the phrase, I simply substitute the words “I’m happy with it.” If I know a little something about the author, I may have a rough idea what it means in quantitative terms. Otherwise it’s just like any other qualitative adjective used as a conversational shortcut. After all, a good detailed description can easily grow into multiple paragraphs by the time one includes details about the rest/support, pellets (good and bad performers), distance, wind conditions, average group sizes versus best groups, etc.

I can't swear to it, but I believe the term comes from the folks that hunt critters & pests.
Sometimes when you hit a critter, they run, they crawl, they twitch.
Sometimes....when they get hit --- it's 'lights out.'.
Instantly dead. No movement, no twitch. Done. Them peskies are Dead Right There. (DRT).

That 'Lights Out' phrase for hunting, naturally migrates to dead-on accuracy, killer targeting and corpse-making-ability.
:LOL:

I can't swear to it, but I believe the term comes from the folks that hunt critters & pests.
Instantly dead. No movement, no twitch. Done. Them peskies are Dead Right There. (DRT).

That 'Lights Out' phrase for hunting, naturally migrates to dead-on accuracy, killer targeting and corpse-making-ability.
Kinda like the term...TACK DRIVER....never watched anyone drive a tack by shooting it.

What is lights out to you may not be lights out to me. Seems to me that you either don't know how your gun shoots or you are BSing. I would say the gun shoots 1/2 inch at X yards or some version of that. Thoughts.
Yes, I agree, metrics please. Shoots: "lights out", "like a laser", "tack driver", etc. Mean nothing without metrics. Group size, distance shot, conditions, etc. Numbers that we can all recognize please...

Reactions: Smitty911

This definition for the phrase "lights out" is what I've always known it to be.

Laser. Don’t get me going on that ridiculous term when referring to airguns. Maybe a special needs laser that rides the short bus.
How about”Dead Nutz with a Z” ?

Love this hobby but some of the descriptions, I can’t take, most especially the “mouse fart quiet” as I have yet to believe

Love this hobby but some of the descriptions, I can’t take, most especially the “mouse fart quiet” as I have yet to believe
I would like to know who stuck their ear up to a mouses butt to determine what a mouse fart sounds like. If your gun is mouse fart quiet does it just make a tiny squeak when you pull the trigger? I guess it just depends on what the mouse ate earlier in the day.

You may only be saying that because you've never heard a mouse fart, neither have I, just goes to show how quite they are.:)

Can we just agree on using the Metric System? (Go read I'm an American thread :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) 1" at 50 yards = DRT, 0.75" at 50 yards = Lights out, 0.50" = Tack Driver, 0.25" @50 yards =LASER

Smitty

Reactions: Bruce54 and L.Leon

Makes perfect sense. If I had to quantify it I would say minute of angle accuracy. Not many shooters attain that level of accuracy. Myself included. 3/4” at 50 yards is my best so far. I am new to it though, so there is hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSpook
The term has always meant DOA , had nothing to do with the gun that was used or sling shot for that matter ,
Just meant the thing you aimed at was dead instantly . Critter , can , bottle , barn door .
Well to be honest, the term has always meant whatever someone intended when they wrote/said it. P0-TAE-TOE, PO-TAH-TOE...