• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

"What IS it with you old guys "?

I just turned 70 in November. I got started as a rifle looney while on the Keystone pipeline up in North Dakota in 2009. I have spent a small fortune on really nice firearms and reloading equipment. As I got older, I started slowing down and realized I was in over my head and would never be able to get all the use and enjoyment out of my collection of rifles.

Over the past year, in retirement, I started eliminating Starlings in my backyard with various BB guns. These lacked the refinement and accuracy I desired, so I stepped up to a Ruger springer shooting .177 pellets. I was able to put a scope on it and had good success in the back yard, though it was really not back yard friendly noise wise. I downsized to a Crossman 1377 American Classic pistol, like the one I used to own when I ran trap lines back in the early 80s. I started customizing it with a metal breech, walnut custom grips and moderator. That has been my go-to Starling gun for over a year. Just before my birthday I somehow discovered some videos on youtube about pigeon shooting with a pellet rifle. It had video shot through a scope and the rifle and shooter was very accurate. That is when I started researching PCP rifles and all the stuff that goes along with it. I realized the PCPs did not have the "recoil" of the springer and were more accurate. Videos from Matt Dugger and Steve from AEAC sold me on FX airguns so I bought a Crown Continuum in .25 (I like really attractive wood.) I like bullpup type rifles as well and settled on a Benjamin Akela in .177 (wood) I finally bought a .22 in the Benjamin PRod. Of course, I had to determine how I was going to supply air, so I went with a 75cf Carbon Fiber tank with all the attachments and ordered a water-cooled Tuxing 042 compressor, on which I am still waiting. I guess the ability to just step outside on the back porch and shoot targets or Starling and Crows appealed to me, but my equipment had to be top shelf, just like my rifle looney collection and my Forster reloading press and die collection. I have virtually every hunting cartridge covered from .20 to .416, not to mention my collection of black powder rifles. My wife gives me grief about my whims and all the packages being dropped off on the front porch. But I justify it by reminding myself, you only live once, and the boys and grandkids will have a field day when I die! ha ha

I'll be 69 shortly and I did not want to get back into manufacturing and start producing gun products at this stage. I may have to. I find that I am having to teach my grandkids how to have fun again using this sport. I am hoping to pass on some knowledge of this sport to young people that have not had that exposure. I don't know if I get to take knowledge with me. Hate to waste it. Good comments from everyone.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
80 here. At 12 my dad gave me a Stevens .22 for hunting jackrabbits in New Mexico......at 19 I was in the Marine Corps shooting expert out of boot camp at MCRD. In 1964 I was selected to shoot on the Marine Rifle Team. I discharged in 1966 after Viet Nam.
In 2007 I started into air guns for the challenge of shooting 100 yds.

I think I should show that post to my wife —
as an introduction to "the talk" —
the talk in which I propose to buy a cheap used Prophet Compact .30cal...! 😉)

I started airgunning much later in life than so many here... — I doubt I can spend $30,000 on airguns before I kick the bucket. 😊

Matthias
You need to try harder. I have confidence that you can get there. Nice to see your posts again. I hope things are going well in your part of the world.

I'm 73, in good physical condition and no chronic health problems, very lucky. Although I've had both shoulders repaired, I still play tennis twice a week. I grew up in NC, started out squirrel hunting as a kid, then did a lot of quail and waterfowl hunting. We have a surplus of deer, but I care nothing about deer hunting. The quail are now gone, and the waterfowl just requires more effort than I care to put in it. At 4 AM I'd rather sleep than stumble around with decoys and boat. I've done most forms of target shooting, both rifle/pistol and clay targets, some of it competitively. But, I found that the competition can get too serious, and now it's all for fun. Regarding air guns, I got into it as an offshoot of rimfire BR competition. I had a lot of time and money invested in a couple of Calfee-built rifles, but the darn ammo selection just got to be so frustrating, I started shooting the same targets with an air rifle. It was such a pleasant change to just go shoot, without spending countless hours testing different lots of expensive RF ammo, most of which didn't make the cut. I still have shelves of 20+ year old ammo, with which I now plink. I'm retired, and fortunately can afford to have a few high quality air rifles. I like shooting in the yard, and my youthful squirrel hunting passion has now become mostly pesting in the back yard. Also, along the way, I shot away most of my hearing, so it's good to have quiet air rifles on hand. I can take my dog to the gun club, where it's usually about empty during the week, just walk and shoot with her. It's just convenient fun, since circumstances, and age, have required some modifications. I'm very thankful to have my health, a good dog, super kids and grand kids, and the great fortune of having talked the right woman into marrying me!

The same story here, started off as a kid shooting pellet guns, home made bows and slingshots.

I went through the PB and compound bow stages and (eventually) realized that I preferred to hunt with airguns, wood bows.

Retired now, no kids, no bills, comfortable financially and in reasonable health I have lots of time to do what I enjoy. Now 71 and in my second childhood, I'm back to shooting pellets and making bows and slingshots :)

Cheers!

I am 82 been into guns all my life living in the Hill Country of Texas the nearest range
25 miles by the time I gather all the stuff to go to the range pay the fees buy over
priced Ammo all the shooting, beside me stopping starting, rules :::::::
I just started shooting pellet guns again and how much they have changed in
the years I have 6 pellet guns 3 P C P much better than Break , Pump ,
also I shoot from my front porch , Rain , Shine , day , Night
I guess that is part of the Reason Old Folks Shoot Pellet guns .

Ya I’m suprised you old guys are into pcps, and are able to part with that moldy money tucked away in a cigar box 😀
That is why I'm getting in to it now at 60. Didn't have much money when I was young. Even less money when I was raising my kids. Now the house is paid off, the kids are finished with college, and finally the money in the cigar box is discretionary. Delayed gratification

That is why I'm getting in to it now at 60. Didn't have much money when I was young. Even less money when I was raising my kids. Now the house is paid off, the kids are finished with college, and finally the money in the cigar box is discretionary. Delayed gratification
Nutin wrong with moldy money in the cigar box...😁

I’m still waiting to get my first Duncan yo yo. Always wanted one.

That and a Stretch Armstrong

IMG_4680[2].JPG

I always chuckle when some young guys act like money grew on trees, (my wife still thinks it does) and all I had to do was go out and shake the money tree and get all I wanted....If young kids had to do the stuff I did in my career for 44 years they would curl up in the fetal position and suck their thumbs...LOL! My parent's wouldn't allow me to have a bb gun and that instilled in me and even more intense interest in the hobby...PBs filled the need for decaids but I transitioned to air guns in the early 2000s and I've never looked back, sold most of my PBs (bought air guns) and don't shoot the ones I kept...and don't think I'm going to. Thanks to this thread I'm reminded of all the PB support stuff I have in storage...life time of accumulation, (I'm 67) gunna' liquidate all of it and buy air gun stuff! A stroke last March slowed my shooting way down but thankfully I've recovered good enough that I'm shooting more then ever, I'm blessed to have 10ac in the free state of Florida to shoot on...and armpit deep looking for collectable air guns with my buddies or that next one to try out...AND you youngsters, just keep working 40 or 50 years 50 to 60 hour per week for a boss you don't like at a job you hate keep your bills paid raise your kids pay your taxes hope you don't have too many health issues save money for retirement and than you MAY be able to afford high end air guns too...some day.

Had a red ryder at 7... then a Sheridan at 9. Learned not to shoot anything I wasn't gonna eat back then. Then the family joined the foreign service in '61 so I was a slingshoteer for 2 decades in various places, then shot arrows for a couple more; and a flintlock. But I finally got serious in 2005/6 when the squirrels attacked my garden; with one of the first factory steel breech Crosman 2250s from Mac-1. Now I have 'more' Crosmans, a Beeman C-1 and a Webley Hurricane. Hardly ever shoot the long guns anymore. And now I can't see $1k eqpt just to support a 12 good shots PCP either, when I get 3 times that on a powerlet. I'd put that kind of cash into a top of the line tuned springer if I had it. Be well all.

Short answer, I like to shoot, sadly, residing behind enemy lines where you can't order ammo online and have to have permission to buy ammo...and the overwhelming desire to conserve my ammo supply. Have a Daisy 717 but wanted a rifle, so got a Remington Nitro, safest place was in front of me with that thing, but I learned a ton from it...like I needed to straighten the barrel and use heavier pellets. So....was heading to a Hatsun and ...decided on a Zbroia Sapsan, tack driver, but....IT developed a regulator issue sent back to dealer to get fixed and our Russian buddy decided to invade Ukraine, put the crimp on parts, got tired of waiting so bought a Maverick and down that darn rabbit hole I go. Now have two Mavericks. I could have gotten another motor cycle but it seems I'm vertically challenged, can't keep the damn things upright, the ER told me not to come back and the Mrs. mentioned something about suffocation. Oh as like so many others on the down side of the hill and semi-retired so can't take it with me.