• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is best for me?

Hey every one, ok 2 weeks ago I ordered an FX Impact but after reading a good few things about them going wrong and from Gunsmiths not keyboard warriors on forums, I decided not to go ahead, so basically thus far I have a budget of around £1500-£1800 for an Air Rifle. My main aim is to get used to which ever gun I choose to purchase via a local range and gun club, then on to a permission to help with vermin, this is my main goal - to hunt...I have set up a Hawke Airmax 30 sf 6-24 x 50, and an 5ltr bottle 300 BAR so all set up there, but would really appreciate some ideas on what guns to look out for, I really like..
  • Laminated stocks
  • Bull Pups / Shorter rifles
  • Sling mounts
I've shot a few rifles , fave so far is Air Arms Ultimate Sporter....BUT ONLY 60-70 SHOT COUNT, really though is this going to matter on the range when shooting god knows how many hundreds of pellets, the club charges 10p per gun fill?

Hunting, no it won't matter as surely 60-70 will be plenty, but to get accustomed to the new rifle and targeting etc will 60-70 shots not be enough at the range?

So, can people please advise and give thoughts and opinions on what gun I should be looking out for, do I go regulated where consistency counts or?????thanks in advance guys, as always

atyl1972 :D

That's a good budget for anything you want. So, a question or two.
  • Do you have an FAC and are you looking for an FAC gun? I assume from the shot count listed above, you are looking for a full power gun.

Gotta say, a 10p per fill isn't bad at all. (That'd be about $0.15 US). I have a bottle, and it breaks down to much more than $0.15 per refill for me! Wish I had access to your club!

If going for an FAC, an FX Wildcat has a good reputation, and if there's a direct correlation in prices, should be around £1300 (laminate is about $1700 US, conversion rate of £1.00 to $1.41 US). Shots per fill is rated at 60. For hunting, 60 well placed shots should last quite a while, and refilling from your bottle once or twice ensures a whole day of shooting. and Yes, I would go for a regulated gun if at all possible. Just my opinion. They are more consistent than non regulated guns. With the budget you have, no reason not to have a regulator to start with.

Daystates also have an excellent reputation and look GREAT! Check those guns for regulators though, I believe Daystate doesn't offer many regulated guns.

Take care in selecting the regulated gun, check the forums (here) for any problems people have had with their guns of the same model.

Good luck!

atyl1972

I have a solution that you might consider. If you like the AA Ultimate Sporter for hunting, but wish to have plenty of air at the range for target shooting, then why don't you do like I did and purchase a regulator and tether your gun to your fill tank for target shooting at the range?

I have a Daystate Huntsman Classic that is unregulated and gets only about 35 shots per fill. I love it for hunting, but not so much for target shooting as I have to refill after every 30-35 shots. So, I spend about $250 and got a good used regulator to put on my SCBA tank. I tether my Huntsman to it for target practice. Now I have unlimited supply of air, and it is REGULATED TOO!!! I may get tired of filling the magazine, but I can shoot all day without refilling air.

This is the absolute best setup for target shooting at the range and testing different pellets to find out the one my gun likes best. The unlimited and regulated supply of air takes out most of the variables of an unregulated gun so you can quickly determine what pellet your gun likes best without worrying about the effects of an unregulated gun and pressure drop and such. And you can shoot all day off your fill tank. You can buy this regulator brand new if you like. Get it at www.airtanksforsale.com.

I bought this and it is well worth the money; $250 used; it's the best money I've spent since getting into airgunning: REGULATED NITROGEN, SCBA, DIN300 HOSE ASSEMBLIES.  Our REGULATED NITROGEN, SCBA, DIN300 HOSE ASSEMBLIES are MADE IN USA!!!! Our regulator can be added to any Hose Assembly I sell. Useful for filling airguns or paintball tanks from a 4500 or 6000 PSI tank, or if you wish to shoot your rifle from a bench while tethered to your air tank so that you have a constant fill pressure (great for big bore rifles!). Also fill your smaller air tank or air rifle from a large 6000 PSI tank more safely. Many other uses too! Add this optional regulator to our Hose Assembly, and you can easily dial-in the output pressure to your Air Tank to 0-5000 PSI via the large easy to turn black knob. Comes standard with 80" hose and my STAINLESS STEEL USA MADE Glycerin-Filled Gauges.

The gunsmith I have spoken with that mentioned the impact stated about the "bleeds" that still occur, even on the newer models, in the 1st quarter so far he has had returned for faults around 5 of them, which is a lot considering it is not a big retailer of a gun store, also people thought that they could attach a swivel mount to the butt piece and after a few weeks the rubber snapped or broke in half, also the fact that it's a "skeleton" kind of rifle it is open to all kinds of abuse from weather, mud, rain foliage and such. someone else mentioned about a trigger in a forum, they had adjusted and an internal part fell out of the gun, nothing to do with the trigger, now I loved the look of the gun that is why I placed an order but I do not want to be running the risk of going back and forth to where I'm purchasing my gun from with any kind of issues like the above, I know all guns may have issues and thats a part of life, but for me personally the fact that I would be unable to use a sling easily that was enough for me personally.