• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is a "slug"?

basically its solid and straight like a regular firearm bullet with a much longer single frictional surface and retains its shape under pressure vs a pellet with usually 2 very small frictional surfaces and a skirt designed to seal against the barrel under airgun prrssures .. slugs are generally real heavy which puts you at a supreme disadvantage in real world spontaneous scenarios at widely varying conditions at airgun trajectories .. best most people can do is guess at holdover at just about any distance with a slow heavy projectile flying in a pronouned arc .. figuring it out at one distance isnt the real world lol .. that said some guns can push them at decent velocities and you get alot more energy and accuracy vs pellets is very questionable .. imo its more about accuracy than energy in almost any situatuon with a lellet gun ..... but thats just my personal take .. whatever works for ya ..

Some will argue but the old Sheridan. Were old of the first slug. A pellet it is not.
Screenshot_20210720-120250.1626797207.png

A slug is a traditional bullet shaped projectile solely dependent on the barrels rifling to stabilize it in flight.

This is true. However, I have just discovered something but I need someone to witness it as I don't think most people will believe the results. I'm going to ask @RyanTugSmith to shoot one of my guns and let him see that sometimes even the "experts" can be wrong. Not disparaging anyone in any way. It's just that we have a lot to learn sometimes about barrel dynamics and the use of a good moderator.

A slug is a traditional bullet shaped projectile solely dependent on the barrels rifling to stabilize it in flight.

This is true. However, I have just discovered something but I need someone to witness it as I don't think most people will believe the results. I'm going to ask @RyanTugSmith to shoot one of my guns and let him see that sometimes even the "experts" can be wrong. Not disparaging anyone in any way. It's just that we have a lot to learn sometimes about barrel dynamics and the use of a good moderator.

Well don't just leave us hanging with that teaser, what did you find out? Be sure to let us know.

Well don't just leave us hanging with that teaser, what did you find out? Be sure to let us know.

Don't worry. I will certainly do that. I think some people with certain guns will finally pull them out of the safe, dust them off and once again put them to good use.

Well when i hear slug i must admit i think of a shotgun slug, and at least with the ones i have owned and fired they look nothing like airgun slugs

Also think it will take more airgun slugs to take down a old utility pole VS a 12 gauge slug, even if you are shooting the very big boy caliber airgun slugs.

Let me kick off with a few suggestions for new names.

Long range ammo.

BBC ( Better Ballistic Coefficient ) ammo

Modern ammo ( after all aside for round bal,l Diabolo / pellets are pretty old )

At the beginning we used to say "diabolo-shaped pellets" and "bullet-shaped pellets", or "air gun pellets" and "air gun bullets". Slug is of course a less cumbersome term.
In analogy to the double meaning of "diabolo" for shooting and for juggling, why not use the term "club". Describes the effect on game pretty well...

Best regards from a way to hot office

Jörg

H&N Sport

Reactions: Centercut