• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is a reasonable expectation for overall performance from the Daystate Regal XL in 177 cal?

Ha ha! Basically I'm saying that I have one coming (used) and I'm curious what you owners are already getting from yours and how pleased with it are you. I'm just biting my nails waiting to get the shipping info so I'm starting this to keep me somewhat occupied until the day it arrives and I can put my hands on it.

Thanks for entertaining me! 😆👊🏼🎯

Last edited:
Expect good things.

I'm aware of two different specimens that make it to some of the field target matches I frequent. One owned by my friend Kent, and the other by Franz. Both seem to have exceptional accuracy. Kent is often in the couple highest scores of the monthly matches, and won the big Sonoran Grand Prix this spring. At that GP, Kent outshot the best airguns that exist, using his Huntsman. Franz is new to field target and putting in excellent scores with his as well. It's Franz' first PCP and his comments make me smile. He was shooting tiny twigs at 50+ yards and just smiling ear to ear.

Generally, Huntsman's seem to be on the higher end of the accuracy spectrum.

Now that I typed all that, I'm not sure if these two are XLs with the side lever, or the earlier bolt pull guns. Shouldn't matter though, still a Huntsman.

Reactions: Greenarrow
H51tlelh.jpg

My 2nd PCP -- purchased in ~2015. The first one was sold about 3 years ago. This .177 caliber is a KEEPER.
Lightweight, ergonomic very accurate, trouble free and high shot count. Unregulated, I might add. The Harper "patented Slingshot hammer and valve set-up" eliminates the need for any regulator.
I bet you're going to love this rifle.
Congrats.
tempImageZpRih1.png

Greenarrow - I had the .22 unregulated bolt action Regal XL. All I can say, never sell it once you own it.

They are one of the best air rifles to own and enhance your collection. Great looking, accurate, relatively light, shoulders very well, etc. I can only imagine how good it is going to shoot!

Tom

My 2nd PCP -- purchased in ~2015. The first one was sold about 3 years ago. This .177 caliber is a KEEPER.
Lightweight, ergonomic very accurate, trouble free and high shot count. Unregulated, I might add. The Harper "patented Slingshot hammer and valve set-up" eliminates the need for any regulator.
Congrats.
View attachment 275417
Stunning rifle! 💥👌🏼🤩

Greenarrow - I had the .22 unregulated bolt action Regal XL. All I can say, never sell it once you own it.

They are one of the best air rifles to own and enhance your collection. Great looking, accurate, relatively light, shoulders very well, etc. I can only imagine how good it is going to shoot!

Tom
Wow! That is some positive words there. I'm hoping that I'll be able to answer another thread like this one in the same way some day. Thanks!👊🏼

Daystate advertises the new model to come with a Poly ART barrel, same as the Redwolf. I don’t own one but have thought about buying one or a Redwolf and keep trying to find out if the Redwolf is worth twice the Regal’s price. I do have a question for the Regal owners - Does anyone know the minimum trigger pull weight it can be adjusted to?

Congrats.
View attachment 275417

That's a beauty for sure. Hang on to it.

Daystate advertises the new model to come with a Poly ART barrel, same as the Redwolf. I don’t own one but have thought about buying one or a Redwolf and keep trying to find out if the Redwolf is worth twice the Regal’s price. I do have a question for the Regal owners - Does anyone know the minimum trigger pull weight it can be adjusted to?
My buddy helped me adjust my trigger. I think he got it to 6-8 0z for release. Perfect!

Expect good things.

I'm aware of two different specimens that make it to some of the field target matches I frequent. One owned by my friend Kent, and the other by Franz. Both seem to have exceptional accuracy. Kent is often in the couple highest scores of the monthly matches, and won the big Sonoran Grand Prix this spring. At that GP, Kent outshot the best airguns that exist, using his Huntsman. Franz is new to field target and putting in excellent scores with his as well. It's Franz' first PCP and his comments make me smile. He was shooting tiny twigs at 50+ yards and just smiling ear to ear.

Generally, Huntsman's seem to be on the higher end of the accuracy spectrum.

Now that I typed all that, I'm not sure if these two are XLs with the side lever, or the earlier bolt pull guns. Shouldn't matter though, still a Huntsman.
Probably doesn't matter....

I have the bolt action coming with the Harper Slingshot setup. That's what I wanted actually. Its gonna be fun!

Reactions: bamavet55
With the exception of the Taipan Veteran I have spent more time promoting the virtues of the Huntsman Regal than any other air rifle...pound for pound dollar for dollar year in year out...it's VERY difficult to beat...I have a Wolverine that won't out shoot my old Huntsman .177, the two groups shown were shot with a 12x scope off rolled up towels mag fed...in no wind condition. If I were starting out in the PCP air rifle hobby/sport knowing what I know now I would have 3 Taipan Veterans (.177 ,and ,25 calibers, I have a .22) plus 3 Huntsman Regals (.22 calber, I have a .20 & .177) and call it a day...when something works for me I stick with it, I have the Wolverine a Bobcat Mk2 and a Rapid 12 and as good as they all are I would rather have a .177 & .25 caliber Veteran and a .22 caliber Huntsman Regal instead.
0910191059.jpg

Ha ha! Basically I'm saying that I have one coming (used) and I curious what you owners are already getting from yours and how pleased with it are you. I'm just biting my nails waiting to get the shipping info so I'm starting this to keep me somewhat occupied until the day it arrives and I can put my hands on it.

Thanks for entertaining me! 😆👊🏼🎯
I bought a .177 Regal about 3 years ago. Its a keeper, great size to carry and very nice to use on the bench. The stock is awesome. Mine is Huma Regulated. Very accurate. I did not have to fiddle with it at all. The trigger and accuracy were great out of the box. There was a point where I lost some accuracy, but later figured it out and was able to restore.

A bit less accurate than my Redwolf and about the same accuracy as my FX M3 Impact. However, I only shoot at shorter distances (16-30 yards). The only drawback I have is that my Huntsman is a bit loud for backyard bench shooting. I use a Donny Sumo on mine and can get away with shooting it in my yard but the Redwolf and Impact are much more quiet. It may be partially due to the mechanism (hammer strike) than the blast of air.

I have a Revere, same trigger, and it's set at 5 ounces, great crisp release. That said, I expect Daystate might tell you that 5 ounces is outside the design parameter. It's going to vary some with different rifles, and some might require some light polishing, although mine did not. I imagine that 8 ounces could be safely achieved on any Huntsman. The adjustment for release weight is actually a sear engagement adjustment, not spring tension, for which there is no provision for adjustment. By decreasing engagement, the release weight is lightened, but be cautious of getting it too shallow, as accidental discharge could result. As the sear engagement is decreased, tap on the stock with enough force to test it for safety. When moving with the rifle (or any rifle), I never use the safety, and always de-cock. If I were hunting with the rifle and wanted to use the safety, I'd set the trigger heavier. I'll offer an adjustment tip. There is a locking grub screw that sits on top of the actual sear adjustment screw. The problem, it's about impossible to snug down the locking screw without changing the engagement setting, as that screw is very easy to turn. My advice, once the adjustment screw is where you want, drop a little low strength thread locking compound on top of it and let it dry. Don't use the locking grub screw. In that way, you don't risk upsetting the adjustment. Mine has never moved. It's a great rifle, enjoy.
Ed