What is a Magnum Air Gun?

I've read a lot of articles that define a "Magnum" air rifle as one that shoots pellets at 800 - 1,000 feet per second. Although (FPS) is a by-product of an air guns power it really isn't a measure of energy. I owned an HW90 and I tested more than a dozen .22 caliber pellets when looking for the best performer. They varied from 18 to 21.4 grains and none of them left the barrel at 800 - 1,000 fps. Yes, I could have used a very light weight PBA pellet but most air guns will shoot those between 800 and 1,000 fps. My HW90 shot the .22 caliber, 18.21gr, H&N Baracuda Hunter at 785 fps which is 25 ft/lbs (24.9233), isn't that a "Magnum"? Do you agree that ft/lbs would be a more accurate method of defining a "Magnum" air gun?

To me it's a point where the gun becomes overpowered and accuracy goes down the tubes . Regardless of caliber on springers . I shot one of the 30 caliber Hatsans at the Texas show . ....Let me see if I can think of something uplifting and not negative to say about the experience . . . . . ...Nope .
I'm fairly sure one of the " boys " now hangs lower than the other after cocking it , heavy as a landscape Timber and almost as long , trigger like a 40$ shotgun , and kicked like one too . When I hear the words " Magnum springer " I tune out .
I realise there are airgunners out there who can get their personal level of acceptable accuracy with a Magnum air rifle but I most definitely am not one of them .

My HW 90 was not a fun air rifle to shoot, it was hard to cock and the recoil rivaled that of a firearm. However, it was a great air rifle for hunting. I could leave it cocked for hours and reset the safety with the flick of a finger. With the AA 18gr pellets she was deadly accurate and consistent out to 60 yards. Overall, I liked the gun but I only used it when I needed to. 

I still need to find a place to shoot airgun bench rest, which seems to be non-existent around here? But I seriously doubt modern airguns will kick like dad's Carcano or the British Enfield in .303 caliber. The Carcano was the original 6.5x52mm. barked like a castrated dinosaur & kicked like a rabid mule! So anything these so-called " magnum" airguns can do likely won't rival my memories of those old war horses. I can't wait to find out, just the same! Workin' on'em is cool, but To the shooting, already!

"gamyrick"I've read a lot of articles that define a "Magnum" air rifle as one that shoots pellets at 800 - 1,000 feet per second. Although (FPS) is a by-product of an air guns power it really isn't a measure of energy. I owned an HW90 and I tested more than a dozen .22 caliber pellets when looking for the best performer. They varied from 18 to 21.4 grains and none of them left the barrel at 800 - 1,000 fps. Yes, I could have used a very light weight PBA pellet but most air guns will shoot those between 800 and 1,000 fps. My HW90 shot the .22 caliber, 18.21gr, H&N Baracuda Hunter at 785 fps which is 25 ft/lbs (24.9233), isn't that a "Magnum"? Do you agree that ft/lbs would be a more accurate method of defining a "Magnum" air gun?
Yes, I agree. To me:
  • anything more than 16 FPE is magnum.
  • 12-16 is high powered
  • 8-11 is medium powered
  • 7 and under is low power
But you have to realize, it was a marketing game. They KNOW that if they just publish a high FPS on the box, that will sell them. That "Half Truth Marketing" is not unique to airguns. For example:
  • Handheld electric power tools can be rated in hp. Take routers, for example. Many are advertised as 3-1/4 hp. The other half of that truth is that that is under extreme overload condition, right before the motor burns up.
  • Some cars are advertised with what seems like impossibly high hp. The other half of that truth is that at low RPM, they barely make enough torque to get out of their own way.
It's pretty rare that an industry will normalize to something reasonable without outside intervention. Sad but true. There are just too many suckers out there for it to be otherwise.

"JoeWayneRhea"To me it's a point where the gun becomes overpowered and accuracy goes down the tubes . Regardless of caliber on springers . I shot one of the 30 caliber Hatsans at the Texas show . ....Let me see if I can think of something uplifting and not negative to say about the experience . . . . . ...Nope .
I'm fairly sure one of the " boys " now hangs lower than the other after cocking it , heavy as a landscape Timber and almost as long , trigger like a 40$ shotgun , and kicked like one too . When I hear the words " Magnum springer " I tune out .
I realise there are airgunners out there who can get their personal level of acceptable accuracy with a Magnum air rifle but I most definitely am not one of them .
Just out of curiosity Joe, would you still tune out after reading gamyrick's post? For example, if you had shot one that was accurate, even if still hard to cock and shoot well?

To me, if it's accurate, I could put up with a lot. Maybe not shooting all day, but it would have its place. Inaccurate though, doesn't really have a place.

I have never understood what really makes a springer "magnum" ? My old BSA says magnum right on the gun, yet I don't consider it hard to shoot. It fires most 7.9gr pellets about 860fps-880fps. It is more hold sensitive than some springers, but it is one of the most accurate springers I have ever owned. As a comparison, I once had a gamo that shot almost the same speeds as my BSA that was rated as a 1000+fps magnum. It was a complete piece of crap and never shot worth a damn.

I always thought of "magnum" springers as more of a marketing ploy to appeal to the segment of airgunners that believe high fps springers are awesome.

Just my take

Magnum springers are completely useless IMHO. It's pure marketing, noting more, nothing less. For some reason, people who start shooting want something that's has the most Ft/s and Ft/Lbf because it sounds cool when you have a gun that gives quite a punch. The people I know who bought guns like that, sold them after a few months (or even sooner) because they just couldn't get it to shoot accurate. Waste of money if you ask me. Unless you're an expert in the Artillery Hold, you can't even consistently hit a Coke can beyond 35 yards with it. Nope, not my cup of tea.

I prefer high- to low-powered spring guns, anything that's below 16 Ft/Lbf. My most powerfull break-barrel rifle is a Diana 340 Ntec that shoots just under 16 Ft/Lbf, and I'm able to shoot 1/2" groups with it at 35 yards. But my HW30S that's a bit over 6 Ft/Lbf shoots practically one hole groups at that distance, with no-wind conditions. Actually, the low-power guns are the most satisfying to shoot, like my HW30S and FWB300S.

Besides, try cocking a magnum springer for a whole day. Your arms will make the freaking Hulk jealous after that. :D

Joe', you didn't find the .30 cal Hatsan Springer accurate?! I'm not threading a needle with it but quarter size poi out to 20+ yrds is giving small game the BUSINESS in my experience. The harmonics are terrible! Heavy, too...and the cocking! But the novelty of that knock down power in a Springer for 2-3 shots makes the rest forgiving. I like magnums as a quick-grab-rifle for body shots when I don't have time to bead a brainer.

Well, perhaps one of the first air guns to be called "magnum" was the Weihrauch HW35. I have a modern version of this springer. It makes just a bit less than 10 FPE.

It's somewhat heavy but not too difficult to cock and it is very accurate. The weight seems to contribute to the ability to shoot it accurately. Springers that produce more power than the HW35 are just too hard to shoot accurately in my opinion.

The HW35 is, to me, as far as I'm willing to go toward the "magnum" spring rifle. Beyond that I think it's a case of the law of diminishing returns.

just my humble opinion

"JoeWayneRhea"Oh yeah Smaug if it's accurate then I would be cool with the rest . It's just I haven't personally shot an overpowered springer that was accurate. Something that takes a toll cocking isn't fun long though
Joe.have you ever shot a Crosman NPS TR77 NPS with a nice scope and trigger work? 1000 FPS. lightweight trigger, and groups fairlly darn well.Granted my springer is easier to be consistent with, but the NPS Tr77 is a monster with 10.5 Gr and a decent scope.

Diana 350 magnum, a Gamo magnum (can't recall the type, but it was a gas ram. Bull something.), Hatsan 125, (these I've owned) and quite a few more rifles of that 'magnumtude'. Basically anything that's 18F/lbs or more that I've shot, shoots like crap. And I'm into air guns since the early 80's of the last century, and that's how I learned how to shoot. So I am 'somewhat experienced' and familiar with the artillery hold you might say. And I also shoot powder burners, so I can handle some recoil. ;) 

But again, I think it all depends on what your definition of 'accurate' is. Some say that if they can hit a soda can at 35 yards, it's accurate. For me personally, a rifle is accurate if I can hit that fly that sits on the soda can. :D

My reply didn't submit. The gist of it was that I'm familiar with some of those magnums and they do bounce around like the chamber exploded. And that I saw some of the guns you posted in another thread (precision shooters those!) so I see why you're biased toward magnums. I have the N-tec luxus, too (that thing feels like a magnum to me). In fairness to them, I think that if one designates them to quick-grab-center-mass-guns out to 25 yrds max (back yard pesters) that they'd serve that purpose well.

I agree, for <= 30 yards it's predictable and accurate enough to get clean head shots most of the time (aim small, miss small), but beyond that, you should definitely go for center mass. Mine is just under 16F/lbf by the way, so at 55 yards there's still almost 9F/lbf of energy remaining, good enough to take down small critters or birds. And I polished the internals, so it shoots a bit smoother. The Diana 340 N-Tec is one of my best shooting medium-to-high power brake barrel rifle! That N-Tec gas ram is pretty darn good!