• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is a good air gun caliber for hunting iguana’s?

I have been hunting Iguanas in south FL for 2 years now and I completely agree that accurately placed head shots just behind the eye is essential for a clean kill. Anything into the body is merely an annoyance to these animals, especially the larger ones. I started out using a 22 Benjamin Marauder with 16 grain Predator Polymags going about 850fps. Great pellets. Lethal on squirrels out to 40 yards on either a vitals or head shot. On the Iguanas it was a different story. One shot kills on anything longer than 2' was challenging. I have since stepped up my game. I am now running a Umarex Gauntlet G2 in 25 cal. I am pushing JSB King Heavy MKII 33.95gr pellets at just under 900fps. Head shots on any size Iguanas is almost immediately lethal. The difference in moving up to to the 25 call delivering over 50 FPE is amazing. IMO, Don't waste your time with 177 or 22 on Iguanas., go with 25 or even 30 if you are hunting in an area where you can use that much power.

Reactions: RScott