What is a collector grade Airgun?

I recognise the military pattern but what is the top one?
It's a very rare Italian underlever made in Brescia in the 50's. Has a pop up loading tap so like an HW57 or Gamo Stutzen it's pretty fumbly to load. A small rifle suitable for youth. Neat little gun. I used it as an example here to make the point that some guns are difficult to assign a value to.

Reactions: Septicdeath
While in the Army (1968-1971) I was assigned to the Berlin Brigade, West Berlin, East Germany. A local national working for the military introduced me to a Diana target air pistol. Thus my "affliction" began with classic European quality air rifles and pistols. One day, on a day pass into East Belin through Checkpoint Charlie, I entered a department store and viewed several brand new Haenel air rifles for sale. At that time the West German Mark was $0.25 in US dollars and the East German Mark was $0.08 in US dollars. I purchased three Haenel rifles that day. A break barrel Model 303, a top bolt cocking target model 311 and a Model 312 slide lever match rifle. They remain in my custody to this day and many other quality European and classic American models have since joined the racks....I am a shooter at heart and enjoy the technical aspects of quality and craftmanship to date.

While in the Army (1968-1971) I was assigned to the Berlin Brigade, West Berlin, East Germany. A local national working for the military introduced me to a Diana target air pistol. Thus my "affliction" began with classic European quality air rifles and pistols. One day, on a day pass into East Belin through Checkpoint Charlie, I entered a department store and viewed several brand new Haenel air rifles for sale. At that time the West German Mark was $0.25 in US dollars and the East German Mark was $0.08 in US dollars. I purchased three Haenel rifles that day. A break barrel Model 303, a top bolt cocking target model 311 and a Model 312 slide lever match rifle. They remain in my custody to this day and many other quality European and classic American models have since joined the racks....I am a shooter at heart and enjoy the technical aspects of quality and craftmanship to date.
Love to see some pictures!

I collect classic Merkel shot guns from the "golden age" (before the fall of the Berlin wall in -89). Have 5 of them. The two I appreciate the most, is both from 1984, and have never been fired, beside the testfiring before leaving the factory of course. Now I am more into airguns, and what I look for more than NIB is the patina and the love (read: nice handling and safe/carefully storing) previous owners have put into their gun.
The two Merkels (147 and 203):

374182FB-B213-4BA3-A3EE-A7FB8D8A7BE6.jpeg

8E679504-D505-42CF-84CA-DE83B5BEA08D.jpeg

0E65CD4B-BDAD-47BE-A662-97E0D0447361.jpeg

7E634C34-75C2-4E2B-BEFC-E0197081B338.jpeg

5D05EA0D-AB65-42A6-9632-62A355D8DC42.jpeg

I collect classic Merkel shot guns from the "golden age" (before the fall of the Berlin wall in -89). Have 5 of them. The two I appreciate the most, is both from 1984, and have never been fired, beside the testfiring before leaving the factory of course. Now I am more into airguns, and what I look for more than NIB is the patina and the love (read: nice handling and safe/carefully storing) previous owners have put into their gun.
The two Merkels (147 and 203):

View attachment 305627

View attachment 305628

View attachment 305629

View attachment 305630

View attachment 305631
Those are beautiful shotguns, I wouldn't be able to not shot them.

Smitty

Technical / financial aspects of collectibility are discussed well above: rarity, desirability (no matter how rare, not valuable if nobody wants one LOL), condition, presence of OEM paperwork and accessories, exceptional features like showpiece wood, etc.

But in a more personal sense...your "collectible" guns may be "none of the above" - but rather those that, for whatever reason, sing to YOU! Sentiment and plain old good looks make these collectible to me, LOL...

1947 Daisy 25. My grandmother bought it to chase squirrels off her bird feeder
View attachment 302036

Benjamin 347 from Santa my freshman year of high school (its age none of your beeswax 🤓)
View attachment 302040

1960's HW 35E with 22" barrel
View attachment 302031

1982 Diana model 60 Tyrolean
View attachment 302038

Late 1960's Walther LGV "Olympia"
View attachment 302034

1970 Webley Mk 3 "Supertarget"
View attachment 302041
Beautiful classics

I got into airgun collecting in the early eighties, but over the course of the ensuing four decades have transitioned to long-range airgun competitions (to 100 yards) and airguns capable of same.

But typical of airgun collectors, early in my collecting experience I concentrated on very-good and better condition. With more experience I evolved toward excellent and better condition, seldom settling for less except on hard to find guns; then sometimes refinishing and/or modifying them.

As I've sold off most of my collectables, of course I've kept my favorites and/or those attached to my fondest memories. Like this Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams variant of the Crosman 160 that I won a State Champion title and National Record certificates with in NRA Silhouette competitions when the 1950s-vintage gun was a half-century old.
View attachment 301308

I've owned several Crosman 150s, but am down to my favorite example that I've modified to my tastes and purposes. It consistently averages 1/2" groups at 25 yards, and has taken jackrabbit to 30 yards and cottontail to 35 yards with offhand shots-
View attachment 301309

I refinished and customized this 1949-1954 vintage Crosman 112, that was in only good to very good shape when I got it-
View attachment 301314

Benjamin's first Co2 pistols were of very impressive quality and used the little 8 gram cartridges. This 1950s vintage .22 model 252 was in like new condition; wish I hadn't let it go-
View attachment 301318

There have been so many, I could fill a book...

Or five.
View attachment 301319
I still have the MAC-1 LD you sold me years ago.
I got into airgun collecting in the early eighties, but over the course of the ensuing four decades have transitioned to long-range airgun competitions (to 100 yards) and airguns capable of same.

But typical of airgun collectors, early in my collecting experience I concentrated on very-good and better condition. With more experience I evolved toward excellent and better condition, seldom settling for less except on hard to find guns; then sometimes refinishing and/or modifying them.

As I've sold off most of my collectables, of course I've kept my favorites and/or those attached to my fondest memories. Like this Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams variant of the Crosman 160 that I won a State Champion title and National Record certificates with in NRA Silhouette competitions when the 1950s-vintage gun was a half-century old.
View attachment 301308

I've owned several Crosman 150s, but am down to my favorite example that I've modified to my tastes and purposes. It consistently averages 1/2" groups at 25 yards, and has taken jackrabbit to 30 yards and cottontail to 35 yards with offhand shots-
View attachment 301309

I refinished and customized this 1949-1954 vintage Crosman 112, that was in only good to very good shape when I got it-
View attachment 301314

Benjamin's first Co2 pistols were of very impressive quality and used the little 8 gram cartridges. This 1950s vintage .22 model 252 was in like new condition; wish I hadn't let it go-
View attachment 301318

There have been so many, I could fill a book...

Or five.
View attachment 301319
I still have the MAC-1 LD you sold me years ago.

Those of you who collect airguns, what are your standards for condition? NIB / 95%, rarities?
I look at for sale guns on the classifieds & hope to learn what you who are collectors look for.
Buy one of these and don't open the box. Talked to a Crosman rep today and that's what he did. Says it should quad-drupel in value within 10 years. I told him I was going to shoot mine because I don't know if I will be around in 10 years! ha ha

1703724217519.png